Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: What crawler should I buy?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2009, 01:36 PM   #1

Red face What crawler should I buy?

I know that this is probably the most frequent question and most dreaded question, which is why I hate asking.
I am on a limited budget, and this will be my first ever electric vehicle so I don't have any batteries or chargers or spare esc or anything like that. I have been racing nitro for a year, so this all seems like a foreign language. I would probable prefer a rtr or something very close to a rtr. I mostly wont be using it in serious competition but I will be using it in some weekend comps (I think they called it a 2.2 comp). The main factor for me though is still cost.
sorry for the question
OFFroadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2009, 01:39 PM   #2
RCC Addict

If cost is your main factor, get a 1.9. (losi MRC)
renoirbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 01:56 PM   #3

Thumbs up

Thank you for your prompt response. I didn't know that the mini rock crawler was a 1.9 rock crawler. does it fit into all the 1.9 rules?
That pretty much settles my dilemma as 1.9 is the second most popular class here. Thanks a whole bunch buddy!
Old 01-26-2009, 02:19 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

1.9 is by far the cheapest way to get into the sport... I picked up an MRC slightly used on ebay for less than $200 RTR. Of course, I got it today, ran it for a few miinutes, and its getting boxed up and shipped out tomorrow in trade for a 2.2
Scott
po' riggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 05:13 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

depends on what you want to do. the axial rtr is like 230 and it is a 2.2. the 2.2 climbs much bigger stuff and to me is more fun initaly. My friend drive a losi and it cant climb half the stuff my axial can. but if your ok with the 1.9 the losi is a great made crawler
shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 09:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy View Post
depends on what you want to do. the axial rtr is like 230 and it is a 2.2. the 2.2 climbs much bigger stuff and to me is more fun initaly. My friend drive a losi and it cant climb half the stuff my axial can. but if your ok with the 1.9 the losi is a great made crawler
I'd prefer the Axial for sure, but the losi comes with a batt and charger. A charger is like 40 and a batt is 20 bringing the price up to 290 as opposed to the 240 I can get the losi for. Perhaps I'll just hold off for now untill I have that to spend on new equitment. :-( I do agree with you, i'd have way more fun with the axial. I've been reading about the wheely king + conversion kit, is that any good?
Old 01-26-2009, 10:05 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Really, you need to just decide if you want a 1.9 or 2.2. I decided a 2.2 was for me... But I have friends with 1.9s and they like them.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:13 PM   #8

Lightbulb Buy the Losi when it is released -- preorder now

The best decision you can make is, if you can hold out for a couple months, to buy the Losi 2.2 Competition Crawler. This thing will be set up so much better than anything else out there that the people running AX10s and custom rigs will be jealous!

I'll be switching to a Losi when they are available. Right now I run an AX10 with stock chassis, DNA Dig, all aluminum linkage, true 4-link rear, etc etc.

You may want to consider looking on eBay or even Craigslist for rigs...if you find one, feel free to message me and I'll let you know what I think about it...I'm not a consultant, but I feel I do know at least enough to guide you.

A 1.9 rig is a bit smaller than the 2.2, and is not quite as customizable...however, they are becoming more popular and more manufacturers are developing aftermarket products for them as well. My suggestion still is a Losi...if not the Losi, go with the AX10. Take a look at TCSCrawlers.com. They have a good setup for beginners on the AX10 that come with a complete RTR kit (the regular RTR has doodoo plastic linkage).
Good luck to you and have fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OFFroadrunner View Post
I know that this is probably the most frequent question and most dreaded question, which is why I hate asking.
I am on a limited budget, and this will be my first ever electric vehicle so I don't have any batteries or chargers or spare esc or anything like that. I have been racing nitro for a year, so this all seems like a foreign language. I would probable prefer a rtr or something very close to a rtr. I mostly wont be using it in serious competition but I will be using it in some weekend comps (I think they called it a 2.2 comp). The main factor for me though is still cost.
sorry for the question
jrad142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 10:21 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I agree here.. I just cant wait for the Losi, so, in the mean time, I will have another 2.2 rig.. then when the losi comes out, I may have to get it too
Old 01-26-2009, 10:23 PM   #10

I also have some all of the stock electronics as well as a modified 55T motor were you to buy the AX10 ARTR. That would pretty much have you up and running for a very reasonable price. I will give you a smoking deal on the electronics and motor. I'm not sure what the rules are regarding the sale of items between members of the forum...perhaps we could work something out via email?
Take care and good luck again.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:27 PM   #11

I'm already starting a Losi Crawler fund just in case I can't part with my AX10. With so much into it, I just may not be able to let it go...maybe I'll keep it in the family and sell it to my brother to cushion my Losi cost. I'm gonna have to upgrade the ole spectrum to a 3S or maybe even go with a Nomad! Now that's gettin' pricy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by po' riggity View Post
I agree here.. I just cant wait for the Losi, so, in the mean time, I will have another 2.2 rig.. then when the losi comes out, I may have to get it too
Old 01-27-2009, 01:59 PM   #12
RCC Addict

just my 2 cents but if ur 0n a buget i w0uld g0 with a 1.9 a few little free m0ds at h0me and there perty c0mpetitive... the 2.2 is g0in t0 c0ust al0t t0 be c0mpetitive with it... plus what ever 2.2 u buy u wil have t0 buy a battery and charger etc.... just my 2 cents
lowridinjuggalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 09:11 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by OFFroadrunner View Post
I'd prefer the Axial for sure, but the losi comes with a batt and charger. A charger is like 40 and a batt is 20 bringing the price up to 290 as opposed to the 240 I can get the losi for. Perhaps I'll just hold off for now untill I have that to spend on new equitment. :-( I do agree with you, i'd have way more fun with the axial. I've been reading about the wheely king + conversion kit, is that any good?
Yes the losi will most likely be a better crawler than the ax10 only cause it comes with front a rear dig. Which is a great option but it has no electronics what so ever just like the axial artr. With no electronics the price goes through the roof. The ax10 rtr is like 230 plus battery plus charger. The artr is 225 plus charger + battery + esc +reciever + radio + motor. Looking at a minimum of 413.96 not counting the battery and charger cause the rtr would also cost that (225+74.99 sidewinder+16.99 integy 55t+26.99 traxxas reciever +69.99 traxxas tq3) all from ckrc.com. The losi is 209 with charger and battery (but that wall charger sucks you have to watch it charge, so as not to over charge it, trust me youll want a new charger any ways. My opinion is if you dont have the 413 for the artr or the losi go with the axial rtr, youll have more fun with the 2.2.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:44 PM   #14

i am going with ax10 scorpin artr kit.
dale3311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 10:49 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale3311 View Post
i am going with ax10 scorpin artr kit.
What electronics are you going with
Old 01-28-2009, 07:58 AM   #16
Rock Stacker

That ARTR is pretty cool in orange. It was #2 on my list. I went with a Creeper mainly because I like building kits.
bassguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 05:28 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Save up for the Losi 2.2 comp roller. Ya it is alot more money but you cant put a price on fun.
moabax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 08:40 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Default save up

I'm just getting started and thought the losi mini was for me until I had a chance to run a couple of axial 10 scale rigs. It sold me on saving up for a 2.2. I think that is a good choice. I do have to admit the losi coming out sounds good too. I guess I can't really help. Just go with your gut and hit the rocks.
arcticjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 11:48 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

no one has told my why the losi is so much better besides the dig coming stock
Old 01-30-2009, 10:50 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy View Post
no one has told my why the losi is so much better besides the dig coming stock
ya, no kidding...

and i certainly wouldnt trade or get rid of my modded ax10 for it