Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Virgin rc climber, not even broken the wallet yet!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2009, 01:14 PM   #1

Default Virgin rc climber, not even broken the wallet yet!

Very new to this, but it has really gotten my attention.. I am a fan of 1:1 crawling. These little rc's are amazing. I am very respectful of the amount of knowledge, time and experience on this site. I am familiar with nitro stadium trucks and the typical buggy rc's. Thinking about getting a crawler..... I don't want to go all out competition right now, so I'm kind of stuck between the duratraxx cliff climber and the losi mini crawler, or possibly another in that class that I am unaware of. I would love to get as many opinions on these as possible. Anything from operation, or upgrades, to performance, and intergrity... Thanks in advance to all those who reply. I really look forward to reading your input.
sirwin47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2009, 01:25 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

well both of the mini crawlers you mentioned have their own sections for threads on this site. I would suggest reading these thru... you will find both postives and negatives about both trucks. I personally love the Losi MRC. i have had 2 for months now and they are great little trucks... The aftermarket support from members and vendors off this site is outstanding! I think you will find that there is a lot larger following for the losi mini than the duratrax.. Losi MRC FTW!!!
billysnarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 01:30 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

The new RTR's and kits are great but there is nothing like building your own rig from the ground up with a set of TLT axles. Whatever you decide welcome to this side of rc! Just know too things going in, its a ton of fun and crazy addictive.
nascarkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 01:42 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

If you ever want to compete the get the Losi... there is no comp scene for the cliff climber
morg59jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 01:54 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

going with a 1.9 rig like the losi mrc gives you more options on where to crawl, as it is smaller and you can easily find more terrain that will challange it.. not to mention that an indoor course can be made for it with limited room. and it has the best equipment out of any rtr rig currently out (in case you're new to rc).

2.2 class crawlers demand bigger rocks and location than the 1.9s, but are some serious rigs that are expensive to get started with if you get good equipment.

then theres the super class. you need the right terrain to challange them, and they have very little support from the industry right now, fabrication is your friend in this class, and money can add-up rather quickly as well.

good luck with whatever you choose, and welcome to the hobby.
jedsled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 10:18 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Get the cliff climber.
You can find an ARTR for 90 bucks and a RTR for 140.
My little cliffy runs great!

You can play around with it, and when you're ready to compete, lock the rear steering and lengthen the car to 12.5 inches.
I have a cliff climber and I LOVE it!!!

If you want something a little bigger, get the axial ax-10.
You will not regret it... =)

Last edited by SDBigBubba; 02-06-2009 at 10:22 PM.
SDBigBubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 08:36 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Check your local area and see who's running what? and make your mind up. I personally run the MRC and I love it! Cheap, easily upgraded for little to no cost into a great machine!
Mr. Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 12:54 PM   #8

just get a ready to run axial crawler. they are pretty good out of the box. and i know that the losi's and duratrax"s are fun, but for a first crawler, you want something that doesnt really make you try and try and try to get over a pebble and get mad and hate it.
zipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:33 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDBigBubba View Post
If you want something a little bigger, get the axial ax-10.
You will not regret it... =)
I love my axials. But i would say go with the losi
Tyler Kadlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 08:41 PM   #10

Default Thanks

Thanks to all for your opinions, I did some more research also. Very hard to find much of anything for the cliff climber, Tons of upgrades for the losi though. Plus, if I don't like it.... I think the losi would be much easier to unload than the cc. Thanks again for all your ideas!
sirwin47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 02:41 AM   #11

yea i was not impressed by the cliff climber a guy had one at a local comp today he had after market tires and rims on it and still couldnt do most of the lines the losi mrc was doing in the comp its kinda scary i thought of getting a cliff climber once
kcsw08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 02:40 PM   #12

Go with the Axial you will find lots of support for them and lot of after market upgrade.
yodawill is offline   Reply With Quote