Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: servo issues.....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2009, 02:21 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default servo issues continued.....

when driving or crawling my cr-01 the wheels dont want to turn to the left that good, i have messed with the steering trim alot on my tq3 and it seems that i have to adjust it alot while driving to get it to turn left at all, it turns right pretty good, but turning it left seems to be where it goofs, when i lift the fron tires off the ground they seem to turn left pretty good..... i am using a hitec 645mg...... any suggestions? i am also looking at getting a stronger servo to see if that helps any. whats a good strong servo that would possibly work good with my rig? thanx. the only other thing that comes to mind with this issue is that in the manual it shows that there are supposed to be 2 small servo savers and 1 big one and when i was putting it together i could only get 1 small one on there, could that have anything to do with my problem?
instead of starting a new thread i figured i would just update this one. i still have the same problem, i did the troubleshooting mentioned and i thought it felt good, could it still be bad gears? they turn fine when off the ground. i really want to get this thing running right, i have seen numerous people running this same servo and not complaining other than its not the strongest. should i try the rebuild kit, or should i just upgrade to a higher torque servo? i was looking at the hitec hitec 7955tg but that ones pretty spendy, i have read that 200-250 oz in for a 2.2 is good torque. are there any others out there in that range sumwhere? i will probably also be getting a castle bec.when people say to have the epa's set what does that mean? thanks.....

Last edited by IDnewcrwlr; 02-21-2009 at 10:18 AM. Reason: new questions
IDnewcrwlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2009, 02:27 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

a hs7955tg servo will work great for you. 333oz/in of torque. u may also need to center your servo horn better. take it off. then turn your rig on so the servo centers itself then try and get the horn as straight up and down as possible. good luck
4ONDFLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 03:35 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Do a little trouble shooting;

First, remove the servo horn from the servo. Slowly move your front wheels from left to right and back again. You are looking for any binding, if it is harder to turn the wheels one direction than it is the other.

Second, with the servo horn still removed, using your radio, slow turn your servo from left to righ, see if you see any studdering.

Last, with your radio and truck still powered up, pinch the servo output shaft between to fingers hard enough to put some drag on the servo, but not hard enough to stop it from turning, using the radio, turn the servo left and right, see if you feel any studdering.

This will tell you if the problem is in your servo, if your steering is binding. If the servo is studdering you might have some bad teeth on the gears, just get a rebuild kit to fix it.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 03:38 PM   #4
RCC Addict

when you say "take it off", do you mean take off the servo horn? and if so, do i take off the steering rods too and adjust them to where the horn is straight up and down?
Old 02-20-2009, 03:39 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

you got it! let me know how it does!

Last edited by 4ONDFLR; 02-20-2009 at 03:40 PM. Reason: wrong type
Old 02-20-2009, 03:41 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

JR 8711 and be done. I have had at least 6 Hitec servos and they all were so noisy I got rid of them.
tedmales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 03:44 PM   #7
RCC Addict

im chargin my battery right now so when its done chargin ill be sure and post an update. thanx for the info you guys!!
Old 02-20-2009, 05:07 PM   #8
RCC Addict

im sure they are worth it, but WOW! those servos are a little spendy.....well for me anyways, are there any other decent servos that arent so spendy? im just not ready to dump $100+ on a servo, i wish i could, but i cant.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:02 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

i personally dont know of anything in between. but if you add a castle bec you will see a big difference in how your servo acts! cuz im sure your esc isnt putting out 6v. when you get the bec have it set at that and it will be night and day. and the bec is only like $20 at holmeshobbies.com. did centering the arm help the steering any?
Old 02-20-2009, 10:02 PM   #10
RCC Addict

no, i did all that i was recomended to do and the steering is still the same. :-? i dono what the deal is, it seems to steer fine with the front wheels off the ground but the same when driving or crawling. i couldnt feel any binding or hesitation when doing what Greatscott recommended. could adding the bec possibly fix the steering issue? or how does that change the servo actions? and you say to have it set at 6 volts if i do go that route?
Old 02-21-2009, 10:46 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

it gives the servo more power so it will turn you wheels better but apparently you have another issue. the only other thing i can think of is make sure the epa on your transmitter is centered before you center the servo arm
Old 02-21-2009, 10:58 AM   #12
RCC Addict

the epa is the steering trim right? and i do got that centerd before centering the servo arm. idono what the deal is.....the only other thing i can think of is that there is a little swith at the bottom of the transmitter that you can flip tothe left of the right and it changes the angle of the steering whichever way i do it. it might be centerd when on the left, but when i change it to the right the wheels turn a little and arent centered anymore o vise versa.
Old 02-21-2009, 12:23 PM   #13
RCC Addict

i think i might have found sumthing out!!! when the wheels are on the ground the screw that holds the servo arm to the servo rotates but the arm doesnt move, and when the wheels are off the ground the arm and screw move together. could it be that the hole where the screw goes into the servo is strippd? thats the only other thing i can think of.
Old 02-21-2009, 12:39 PM   #14
MODERATOR™

Why don't you use your eyes and look?
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 01:28 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Plastic steering arm? My guess is that it's stripped out, mine would act like that when one side would get stripped out.
syber70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 01:44 PM   #16
RCC Addict

i think its called a horn, unless they are the same thing. :-? but the horn thread aint stripped, its the hole where you screw the horn to the servo, it looks like it but im not 100% positive its stripped, the lhs actually has a gear set for it and several different arms. ima have to go and try that out, and if that dont fix it, its only $16 instead of $100 fora new servo at the moment.