Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: losi mini crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2009, 03:07 PM   #1

Default losi mini crawler

just picked one up and have upgraded shocks, purchased the 30 dregree rear suspension rods,new metal slideing shafts curious if any one has ideas or tips on mounting a possibly larger stearing servo and what options i have on stock battery placement or other battery combinations are avaibilty. for mini losi crawler thanx
DOOMWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2009, 03:34 PM   #2
RCC Addict

hey, welcome to rcc! I see you are from portland. good place to be . If you haven't already, you can get in touch with the natives at www.orcrc.com/forum. Anyways, on to your question. A larger servo requires a custom servo mount. I don't have an mrc in front of me at the moment so i am not sure, but sometimes stock servo mounts leave a little bit of space which would be able to accommodate a slightly larger servo but you'll have to check that out for yourself. This ties into your battery question. Some aftermarket servo mounts incorporate a battery mount into them by moving the servo to one side and mounting a small lipo beside the servo. I have also seen people make custom mounts to mount their servo vertical on one side of the axle to open up room on the other side of the axle for a small lipo. For the STOCK battery pack, a quick improvement on placement would be to just strap it to the top of the servo. Not very glamorous, but it gets it lower and much more forward. I have seen people cut up their battery packs and put cells in different spots such as putting a couple on each side of the servo. The way I run mine, is 4 cells sitting on the upper link and 2 cells strapped to the bottom of the upper link. When looking at the stock pack, you can see it is just a row of 4 cells with two cells laying across the top. I just cut off the two cells, rewired as needed, taped them up and zip tied them. I like this method because it looks really clean and hidden and it gets the battery pretty low. here are a couple bad pictures to kind of visualize this idea:

I hope this helps!
RCMFMaxxMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 05:57 PM   #3

yes ill have 2 go to that web site and see whats up im obuvlsy new and my spelling well sucks. that mrc looks pretty sweet it must be some custom red under-protection i was thinking of something like that also b/c i got the 30 dregree suspension rods and it seems like i should make something to protect the "drive line" . i also see lots of people with the top black plastic plate where the battery and reciver and pre-mounted people have removed this would or how would this effect crawling or does this part serve any purpose at all. thanx someday soon ill crawl somewhere else besides my house
DOOMWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 09:50 PM   #4
RCC Addict

yeah there are tons of awesome places around portland for crawling. on orcrc their is a thread with a map of all the locations. definitely check it out. The red stuff is a flexible cutting board that i bought at the grocery store in a pack of 5 for like $10. I just installed it and i'm not sure if I'm going to keep it or not. It limits the suspension from cycling as easily. removing the upper chassis is pretty common. It helps performance in that it takes off a bit of weight in the highest spot of the chassis and it "forces" you to mount the battery, receiver, and esc in a lower location. Getting the weight as low as possible is key to a good crawler. otherwise you might flip over on some obstacles. This is why some people lower the whole rig. It makes it more stable BUT you sacrifice ground clearance when you lower the ride height. So you have to analyze your terrain and driving style and see what will be more beneficial and finding a happy medium. But moving the battery and electronics lower doesn't cost you anything but some time, so it is highly advisable to do that. The only downside of losing the upper chassis is that it takes away some of the rigidity of the chassis. But this can be fixed by adding one aluminum or plastic bar on each end of the chassis, connecting the two chassis plates. Most people put these two bars between the body posts because there are already holes there. You just need to use some all-thread to thread into the body posts and the bars or screw a screw part way into the body post, cut off the head and then screw that into the bar. Browse the forum section for the losi mini crawler and study the other members' builds. you will learn a lot and get a lot of good ideas.
Old 05-16-2009, 10:12 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Sup Fellas? New to this Crawler scene, and I was told that a Losi MRC would be a good rig to start out with by a few different friends. My wife just got me one for an early Fathers Day gift. I have been attending a National Crawler Competition for 1.9 and 2.2 scalers here in Montana on friday and today as a spectator. Going tomorrow for the comp crawling meet as well. Any one have advice or suggestions for things I can to do beef this little Losi MRC puppy up a bit?
Montana Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 01:01 PM   #6

how well do these crawl stock and after you guys modded them did they crawl any better?
outoforder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 01:13 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Mike View Post
Sup Fellas? New to this Crawler scene, and I was told that a Losi MRC would be a good rig to start out with by a few different friends. My wife just got me one for an early Fathers Day gift. I have been attending a National Crawler Competition for 1.9 and 2.2 scalers here in Montana on friday and today as a spectator. Going tomorrow for the comp crawling meet as well. Any one have advice or suggestions for things I can to do beef this little Losi MRC puppy up a bit?
take a look around. there are many things you can do. as i talked about above there are a few mods that can be done first that won't cost you anything and will greatly improve the rig right off the bat. welcome and goodluck

Quote:
Originally Posted by outoforder View Post
how well do these crawl stock and after you guys modded them did they crawl any better?
they are a lot of fun stock and pleasantly surprising right out of the box. of course mods are always going to improve anything. that's what mods are for! so i'd say it's fun and rather capable right away and then just keeps getting better the more you tinker and upgrade. hope that answers your question.
Old 06-06-2009, 12:52 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Default Tranny

Has anyone done anything to there tranny gearing? If so what have you all done? Thinking about some aluminum gears for mine, but not sure if that would be a good idea
Old 06-07-2009, 09:53 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Has anyone done anything to there tranny gearing? If so what have you all done? Thinking about some aluminum gears for mine, but not sure if that would be a good idea
I've seen you ask this a couple times. I dont know anybody that has, I've been running the stock tranny gears on mine for almost 6 months ( I run atleast 1 or 2 battery packs a week) I have not brokein anything in the tranny. I would put that money into shocks, servo, or tires, lockers...etc. Your tranny will be fine. alot of guys havent even put the tranny locker in and are haveing no problems. set your slipper clutch up tight but not locked down and you should be fine. Uh if you comp with it make sure your slipper is tight a touch/ repair penality will ruin your run
Mr. Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 12:14 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ed View Post
I've seen you ask this a couple times. I dont know anybody that has, I've been running the stock tranny gears on mine for almost 6 months ( I run atleast 1 or 2 battery packs a week) I have not brokein anything in the tranny. I would put that money into shocks, servo, or tires, lockers...etc. Your tranny will be fine. alot of guys havent even put the tranny locker in and are haveing no problems. set your slipper clutch up tight but not locked down and you should be fine. Uh if you comp with it make sure your slipper is tight a touch/ repair penality will ruin your run

Yeah I asked the same basic question in another thread. You are the only one who has answered. Thanks for the advice/ suggestions. I have already upgraded all the lockers, tires, shocks, CV shafts and front knuckles. Was just curious if anyone has messed with the gearing ratios. Thanks for the heads up on the Slipper though. Tight then out what, 1/2 to 3/4 a turn?
Old 06-08-2009, 01:31 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up on the Slipper though. Tight then out what, 1/2 to 3/4 a turn?
3/4 would be a good start if it slips too much for your likeing then tighten accordingly. The slipper on the MRC is not the greatest in the world but it does it's job.
Mr. Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 02:04 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

hey cool beans Mr. Ed. Thanks for the help man. What all have you done to your MRC? How do you feel about the bent lower links