Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: 'Pede Crawl

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2009, 12:58 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default 'Pede Crawl

I am green to the ideal of crawling. I have a Stampede that I want to convert on a limited budget to a crawler. With it, I have a 12" x 5" x 1/8" piece of lexan material for making a new chassis. I also have 2 other rear ends and 2 Titan 12 T motors.

I don't understand why the diffs have to be epoxied. Should there be a replacement gear or something to slip over the existing gears to do the same thing as the epoxy? Is this done within the tranny or closer to the axles?

Your expert advice insures my project success. If you fail me then my project fails. Please answer wisely.
wheelchair2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2009, 01:08 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

I persoanlly do not know of a special part that locks the tranny. The tranny is locked internally through a variaty of ways . I believe there is a sticky on how to... Why because the tire that loses traction will just spin and the other tire on the ground has no power.. I am sure someone will explain this better. There is alot that goes into makeing a chassi from scratch and getting it to work properly. I am pretty sure you will need a higher turn motor for each tranny. Look in the general crawler section to get more info on useing peded tranny and setting up a pepe for crawling...
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 09:56 PM   #3

Differentials are complicated. If you turn ont he truck and hold it so one side is in the air, you will find that the tire in the air will spin but the tire on the ground does not. That is because of your diff. It is useful onroad because it allows he tires to spin at different speeds during a turn onroad. THe outside tire would have to turn faster than the inside. Am I making sense? It is hard to explain without showing you.

There is a gear in you transmission with 4 smaller gears inside. This is your diff. You want to open up this large gear to expose the smaller gears. You can either epoxy them or jb weld. Another option that isn't quite as permanent is silly putty. I have used it before and it works great. Silly putty won't completly lock the diff though.
RC Mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 08:25 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Mechanic View Post
It is hard to explain without showing you.
I think this might be a helpful visual:
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential2.htm
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote