Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: New to crawling...need some advice!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2009, 06:29 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default New to crawling...need some advice!

I've decided to take the plunge and get into crawling. Decided to go with the ax-10. However, I'm not one to be satisfied with stock. Would it be better to go with the kit or artr? Also, I've been emailing ckrc with questions regarding mods and they've given me a lot of good tips. I was giving their artr kit serious consideration, but, after reading reviews regarding their service and products I'm not so sure.

What do you guys suggest I do? What mods and brands should i give serious consideration to? I'm looking to build a rig that is comp ready but can be used on the weekend as well. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Mike
snowsurfer715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2009, 06:36 PM   #2
Debunking old stereotypes

Welcome to RCC!!
Here is a great place to start reading:Axial tips and tricks
freetimecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 06:09 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowsurfer715 View Post
I've decided to take the plunge and get into crawling. Decided to go with the ax-10. However, I'm not one to be satisfied with stock. Would it be better to go with the kit or artr? Also, I've been emailing ckrc with questions regarding mods and they've given me a lot of good tips. I was giving their artr kit serious consideration, but, after reading reviews regarding their service and products I'm not so sure.

What do you guys suggest I do? What mods and brands should i give serious consideration to? I'm looking to build a rig that is comp ready but can be used on the weekend as well. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Mike
if your looking for a artr comp rig? your talkin to the right people... ckrc has awesome upgraded artr's you'll spend less money in the long run buying from them http://www.ckrccrawlers.com/shop/ind...oducts_id=1362
you cant go wrong your going to get a killer starter setup. with the rims and body of your choice.... to be honest the price of that artr is probably less then with i have put into my comp rig in upgrades and i dont have the sweet body or rims.... its a good set up. all you have to do is put a moter, esc, radio set up and battery... and this one comes with some kinda instructions.
now if you want me to put togeter a set up for you ill come up with all the prices and websites for ya just PM me just all depends on how much u wanna spend i can only do so much though i cant actually builld it and your kinda on your own when you do start building it. i know my way round the ax10 pretty well. anyways welcome to rccrawler
93'wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 08:38 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I would go wth the artr, after some mods its pretty sweet. as for mods a guy could type on here till the internet blows up, just read and read around stuff on here and you will find everything. it's all been done at least once, well maybe
Ryan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 05:04 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the offer 93'Wrangler. I just sent you a PM. I really appreciate the help.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:29 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I would definatly go with the axail ARTR, got one about 3 months ago, all I did was mount the batt over the front axle, relocate my electronics to the upper links, and trimmed the body for articulation. I then entered my first comp EVER, and finished 2nd overall at the 2009 JConcepts rock rash. Axial may not be the newest kid on the block, but right out of the box, you can't do any better, trust me
sub-zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 06:27 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Thanks sub-zero. I was giving the artr a serious look. But, I love having something more personalized. That's my biggest problem, when I get engrossed into something I become obsessed.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:31 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

You wanna see OBSESSED, check out the thread link in my signature, that was the stock AX-10 that I got 3 months ago
Old 03-09-2009, 06:59 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

I stand corrected on my last statement.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:36 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

LOL
Old 03-10-2009, 06:15 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

I like your rig there sub-zero. Is that a tcs edge tuber? What components did you use? How does it handle?
Old 03-10-2009, 06:53 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Thanks, yes it's a TCS edge chassis with axial axels, tranny, and links. Novak rooster esc w/novak 55T motor. Pro-line Chisel tires with memory foam wrapped around a set of Mayhem engineering comp. double phattie rims. It will have a dig unit installed @ 1-2 weeks, still deciding on which one
Old 03-10-2009, 06:54 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

O and how does it handle? I'll put it this way I should have named it spiderman, not MAXIMUS, because this rig literally sticks to the rocks, I can climb sections now that were impossible before
Old 03-10-2009, 09:45 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the reply. I'm actually now considering a tuber. Perhaps the TCS Edge, or I've been hearing a lot of good things about RCP's Bastard Jr. and how some people have been placing well at comps with no dig. You have a nice looking rig. Where did you get the skins for it? I might end up copying your ride, hope you don't mind!
Old 03-10-2009, 09:57 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

I don't mind at all, the panels are actually an aluminum license plate that I found at the auto parts store, traced out my design, then cut them out with the scroll saw.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:40 AM   #16
Rock Stacker

Sweet. I would never have thought of that. I guess it all depends on your imagination.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:57 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

If your gonna get a Axial you can't go wrong with any of the kits from CKRC. I personally have had no unresolved problems with ckrc as far as service. And it is a added benefit that they have a phone number you can call for a live person. No amount of email or online reading can get you the info or feedback on a product that a 5 minute call to their shop can get.
jfraymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 03:26 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

Hey jfraymond,

What kind of set-up do you have from ckrc? I'm curious because I was looking at their artr, but I can't seem to find anyone who is using their products.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:04 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Several people use their products somewhere on their rigs. I personally have never dealt with them, but if you follow alot of the threads on here it seems that their service has gotten much much better than what older threads would mention.

And yeah, you wanna talk about obcessed. I've got 3 ax10 rigs now, and I'm at the beginning of building a 4th and then a Berg shortly after. Before I got my first rc crawler going I was big into 1:1 wheeling and VP of a club here in town. Now I've sold almost all of my 1:1 stuff and haven't even been riding in months. Like what has already been mentioned you can basically take this hobby as far as you want to go depending on how much you want to spend.

MCSCOTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 06:10 PM   #20
RCC Addict

i dont mean to hijack this thread, but seeing as it is right in the same ballpark...i too am new to this crawling and want to know where peeps are mounting thier saddlepacks on the SCX10's?
SwampDawg is offline   Reply With Quote