Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: $1000 build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2009, 04:49 PM   #1

Default $1000 build

I'm new here, but I should soon be a very active member as of now I've been out of the R/C hobby for about a Year. What got me back into it is all these crawler's on the cover of R/C Car Action that have been passing me by. Until now I didn't have the urge built up enough to want to shell out a good amount of cash for a competition ready crawler.

I'm looking through my magazines and seeing all the new and up-and-coming crawler design's and standards, but I'm going to look to you guys for help in finding out what is going to be the best bang for my buck. I love the looks and reviews I've been seeing from the AX10, but is really competition ready?

Last edited by John_The_vauLt; 03-20-2009 at 04:52 PM.
John_The_vauLt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2009, 04:57 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Best bang comp wise is going to be hitting the Berg section here. Go to TCS and pick up a set of Berg axles, then check Kamikaze Kustoms for a chassis, links, and everthing else he offers. Check out that Berg section and do some reading on builds to see how everyone is doing it, and you should be good to go. If you've been in r/c before, I can tell you you will have more fun with a well built crawler than with any other form of the hobby/sport.
MCSCOTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 04:58 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

AX10 can be built to be very comp ready. I would suggest going with an ARTR. If you are on a budget of $1000 that is more than enough to build a completely comp ready rig.

Losi Crawler is also going to be coming here real soon and has alot of great features

Berg's might be another option for you. These are what you would call a MOA (Motor on Axle).
treday619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 05:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCSCOTT View Post
If you've been in r/c before, I can tell you you will have more fun with a well built crawler than with any other form of the hobby/sport.

I got started in R/C at 12 when my Father bought me a T-maxx for my Birthday, after that it took a few years before I eventually got into Competition and Clubs, in 2007 I started R/C Drifting with clubs in and out of PA. I did a couple things with GroovyDrift.com at the Formula D events until I finally got out of R/C to spend more time in my music in late 2008. This summer I'm going to work hard and then I'm going to Drop a whole bunch of cash on a Competition Crawler.

Last edited by John_The_vauLt; 03-20-2009 at 05:07 PM.
Old 03-20-2009, 05:07 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_The_vauLt View Post
I got started in R/C when my Father bought me a T-maxx, after that it took a few years before I wanted to get into Competition and Clubs so in 2007 I started with R/C Drifting with clubs in and out of PA. I did a couple things with GroovyDrift.com at the Formula D events until I finally got out of R/C to spend more time in my music. This summer I'm going to work hard and then Drop a bunch of cash on a Competition Crawler.
Drifting is cool, and I'll probably eventually get a drift car. I don't see how some of you guys do it on a competition level though from some of the vid's I've seen. Having control over something sliding as fast as some of the one's I've seen is just amazing.

To me there is just so much more you can do with crawlers. Biggest thing is being able to drive over just about anything as long as you can pick or find a decent line, instead of having to have a fairly smooth surface. I've been into 1:1 wheeling for a long time now, working on rigs to make them climb over just about anything, so when I started watching some of the vids of what these things can do I had to check them out. Now I'm almost completely out of 1:1, because I have alot more fun with alot less work when I'm messing with these things. There is the loss of speed, but with some motors you get so much wheelspeed that there's an adrenalin rush either way.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:38 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

If ya really want to be do comps get a berg, or even some Hotracing moa for an axial chassis. They really do work the best. I kinda think it's cheating to not have shafts to deal with like the 1-1s though.
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 10:53 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

What?? did someone say miniclod axles???

$1000 build will give you a rig that'll drive really well, but to be honest, a couple days of practice will do you more good than the last $300
engineerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 10:56 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
I got started in R/C at 12 when my Father bought me a T-maxx for my Birthday, after that it took a few years before I eventually got into Competition and Clubs, in 2007 I started R/C Drifting with clubs in and out of PA. I did a couple things with GroovyDrift.com at the Formula D events until I finally got out of R/C to spend more time in my music in late 2008. This summer I'm going to work hard and then I'm going to Drop a whole bunch of cash on a Competition Crawler.

were going opposite directions since i stayed here sometime and went to drifting now. i still have my crawlers though (look @ my sig)
berg is the only 2.2 crawler i havent tried, whatever rig you choose set-up is A#1 however the most important part is the driver. good luck on your foray into crawling.
JOOTZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 11:02 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I would suggest the berg axles as well, bergs are filling out the top spots of most competitions now days.
If you want drive shafts for a more scale aspect, then you might want to wait for the new losi 1/10, with dual dig and worm gears, it will be a very competitive shafty
dorji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 11:24 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

I know Ben. Came down here a few times.

Agreed, get a berg.
DISTURBIN' tha PEACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 11:35 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

I used to drift with Ben and the rest of the Groovy Drift guys here in San Diego all the time. I actually used to setup drift sessions at the Hibert Location. It personally got to a point with drifting where it was feast or famine. I would have 2 people show up or 20 people. So I stopped and bought a crawler. I still love my TC4 drifter but it is only so much drifting by yourself where Rockcrawling is just all out fun.
treday619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 12:12 PM   #12

HAHA you guys jacked my thread with the drifting talk
Old 03-21-2009, 12:15 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
HAHA you guys jacked my thread with the drifting talk
It happens. Alot of the folks here are into forms of r/c other than rockcrawling, but for most they're just side hobbies where the crawling is the main point of focus. Once you get you one built I think you'll see why.
Old 03-21-2009, 03:40 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCSCOTT View Post
It happens. Alot of the folks here are into forms of r/c other than rockcrawling, but for most they're just side hobbies where the crawling is the main point of focus. Once you get you one built I think you'll see why.
Yeah I'm sure I will see, I'm going to be practicing around my area which is perfect because we have a lot of white water rafting and outdoors areas to use. Lots of river rock that has been shaped over 100's of years of weather. I actually live right on the river so I only have to walk about a block to find a place to run my crawler. Besides getting back into R/C I'm buying a car to start drifting which should be getting here soon I will have to show you guys pic's.

Does anyone know of a thread that I can find out everything I need? I'm looking through my Car Action mag's from 2008 to see if they interviewed a factory driver or something.

I'm looking through the berg section to pickup some of the building process, but I know you guys must know what the pro's are using.