Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Crawler for my Son ?????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2009, 01:42 PM   #1

Default Crawler for my Son ?????

So I have an Axial AX 10 that he has been driving and loving it. He's getting pretty good and I'm thinking of getting him a kit for his B day. I'm torn because my old plan was to hand my stock parts down when I get a new chasis but his B day is coming sooner and I don't think used parts make the best B day gift. If I get him an Axial then I have lots of extra parts and some upgrades he can use. But then I started looking into the Venom. It's seems pretty cool but I have read some complants about mixed screw sizes and poor instruction. I will be helping him with the build but I want him to be able to do most of it with just my supervision. So i'm looking to hear from some people with both crawlers and how they think a 7yr old could handle the Venom Build. He works with me enough that I know he can build the Axial, I just have not seen the Venom in person yet.

Thanks for any input
werewolf1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2009, 01:47 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

The Venom is a good kit for starters. I have a few buddies that have them. the only issue they seem to have are the axle eyelits that keep breaking. Also since its a new kit some LHS may not carry parts for it yet.
Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 06:17 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

if you hae time to wait for losi2.2 id get that but also for the yunger kids the mini rock crawler from losi is a blast but he will have a little trouble keep up with you and the losi is les money if thats an issues
rccrawlerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 07:46 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I think you have an advantage with getting another AX10. Any spare parts should fit both rigs. If you do something to one of the rigs and it works well or doesn't, you know what to do to the second rig. In the end I don't think it matters much. Because a seven year old boy just wants to hang with dad and have fun. And it sounds like dad has that all taken care of.
Grump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 09:41 PM   #5

Yeah Grump, I have been leaning to the Axail because I have been down that road, I know it works and the spare parts are abundant in my house and at the LHS. I just thought it would be cool to have something new around and I have heard they are crawling well. I'm going to keep it 1/10 for sure so we can stick close.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:18 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Location: You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy

i have an ax 10 and got one for my 4 yo son , the need to carry only one set of parts instead of 2 was a big factor in getting it , as stated setups work for both . the first few times out he just kinda drove it around on the flat but yesterday he tried a few rocks , its all about progress

DeweyCJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 02:47 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I have the Venom and I think it would be a little difficult for a 7 year old to build by himself at least the tranny and axles the rest he could probably do with supervision. My brother has the venom and he bought his 7 year old the axial scorpion rtr because he could crawl with it and still be a fun truck for driving fast with the stock motor. Both are good rigs and I think your boy would be happy either way. Keep in mind that most LHS don't stock venom parts yet so if something breaks you would have to order the part; my 7 year old isn't that patient when his stampede breaks he wants it fixed now.
456heinbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 10:45 PM   #8

Yeah, I came to my wits this around 2pm today and just ordered him an RTR and some better tires. I picked up a Mamba Pro today so I can put my Rooster in his RTR, that way we can stick with the LiPo. I have enough parts that as the plastic links break We will just put on the Aluminum. I keep the 27T for now since he would like a little more speed. I just want him to be able to keep up or he will just want to drive mine, LOL

Thanks for all the input guys.
Old 03-24-2009, 04:35 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Location: You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy

thats why we are here
DeweyCJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote