Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Best out of the box RTR crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2009, 07:14 AM   #1

Question Best out of the box RTR crawler

Greetings t o all. i have been cruising through this site for weeks. excellent source with great pics of members rigs. My Nephew wants to get started with crawling. he has limited experience with kits . i will help. i usually mess around with my Tamiya TNX. i want to get him a RTR crawler and then get an aftermarket body and accessories and tires and wheels. nothing requiring any fabrication. this is his first truck so i want it easy for him. thought about an Axial truck. any other suggestions? thanks
marksteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2009, 10:46 AM   #2

If he really wants to get into crawling, need to buy the Axial ARTR! This kit will already have the upgrades and better tires! Does not come with the electronics. The Axial RTR is a OK kit, But you will have alot of issues with the electronics, cheap tires and it has plastic links. You will spend more money in aftermarket parts then you will in just buying the Axial ARTR kit! Trust me! For electronics, I suggest getting the Novak Rooster Crawler ESC, 45T Integy Motor, 7-cell saddle pack battery, Traxxas TQ3 radio and add some weights the the wheels (7.5 oz to the each front & 3.5 oz to the each rear). He will have a great start to a Comp crawler!!
mbmlcrawlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 10:57 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Currently, I think the Losi 1/18 is most likely the best RTR crawler out of the box. The Axial RTR is just poorly setup up and needs a bunch of moding to make crawl well.
VeryBumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 11:27 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I personally don't think there is a perfect out of the box crawler. I have a modded Wheely King crawler that took me just about a week and a half to build. No matter what crawler you get theres ALWAYS going to be modifications to make it crawl better no matter who makes. If I were you I would go with the Axial ARTR because of the facts stated above. I do not have an Axial but on the other hand I like to make pretty much "something from nothing". Its all in what you want your rig to be able to do. I'm not the best "crawler driver" lol nor is my rig the best, but I feel my Wheely King crawler is just as capable as an Axial. So its all in preference on what you want to do with your rig.
BrentH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 10:33 AM   #5

The Axial ARTR is a great out of the box crawler. You need to purchase electronics but it comes with all important upgrades, better links, good tires and foams, crawler body, rear lockouts on the axles, etc.

You asked for a great out of the box crawler and I don't feel like there is anything that comes close for the price. The kyosho is very expensive, but another great option. Nothing will beat worm-drive axles. Hope this helps.
J-Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 10:39 AM   #6
RCC Addict

The new RTC (Ready to Crawl) from Axial is probably good if you really want an RTR.

http://axialracing.com/wordpress/200...oduct-release/

It's a much better setup than the old RTR, but keep in mind that the electronics and plastic links still aren't all that great.

The Losi MRC is also a great little truck.
BigB_117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 10:41 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

x2 on the losi 1/18 mrc. The thing flat out crawls for a factory RTR truck. Plus they don't cost that much. It comes with a 2.4ghz radio too. That's pretty cool! Plus if you have seen one they are just build very nicely. How many trucks do you know that come with metal yokes for the driveshaft on a factory rig?

http://www.losi.com/Products/Default...rodID=LOSB0222
legion1capone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 11:08 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I have the Axial RTR and it's a good enough starter for me. It comes in the rock racer form, meaning it can race around the back yard and still handle small to med obstacles.

It comes with the optional locker to transform from rock racer to rock crawler. Also the plastic links can be replaced with aluminum pieces with relative ease. If you're not doing comps and just need something for fun it works great right out of the box, just add batteries.

If you want something more serious I would go with the ARTR (almost ready to run) and look into some of the previous mentioned electronics.

I plan on putting a rooster crawler combo in my RTR and adding some new tires. I already upgraded the plastic links to axial aluminum ones.

Also I drilled a small hole in each rim to allow air flow for better traction.

Eric
RustlerHustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 11:30 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

The ARTR is a great choice crawls awesome.
The venom creeper is really nice my venom is getting fine tuned and really almost crawls as nice or nicer then the ARTR.
kasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 11:44 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

im new to crawling as well. i got the losi mrc and its a superb little crawly. im really enjoying playing with this baby. its very easy to play inside the house and not expensive. if ur nephew after awhile decided this is not his thing at least u havent spend a lot of money n it.
ugly_giddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 12:07 PM   #11

i would definatly suggest the losi MRC. it's not that expensive to start, its a rtr not artr, u can crawl in the house even build a small course if u wanted and still be out of the way. its more or less a convenance crawler and perfect for a beginer, its actually the only crawler i have and more technical than a 2.2 cause u dont have dig.
Shadowolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 01:13 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigB_117 View Post
The new RTC (Ready to Crawl) from Axial is probably good if you really want an RTR.

http://axialracing.com/wordpress/200...oduct-release/

It's a much better setup than the old RTR, but keep in mind that the electronics and plastic links still aren't all that great.

The Losi MRC is also a great little truck.
Wow that's news to me! Cool! Anybody know how much it costs?

The only crawler I have is an MRC, but I'd recommend it to anybody. It's relatively cheap, you get everything you need to run it, and with some simple and FREE mods it's twice as good. Plus, it's small enough to be run indoors, but capable enough to be run outdoors. The aftermarket support is HUGE and constantly expanding. Lastly, Losi's customer support is #1!
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote