Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Cheap esc that might have drag brake

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2009, 09:16 AM   #1

Default Cheap esc that might have drag brake

Hello all
I have been reading this board for a few weeks trying to gather information. I just got back into RC after about 4-5 years off, and what brought me back was rock crawling. I just bought for myself an Axial Scorpion ARTR, added a rooster combo and radio I had. I am having a blast with it, and so is my 10 year old daughter. She absolutely loves it and would like a crawler of my own, but I can't spend what I did on mine.

I am considering getting the pre-built Duratrax Cliff Climber of Towerhobbies. It is only $60. We have a Traxxas radio we can use (2 channel, I wouldn't use rear steer), and I am sure I have at least a basic servo. Our lack is a speed control. I see lots of cheap esc (the Traxxas one can be had for less than $40), but I know with my Rooster setup the big deal is the drag brake. She definitely likes to take it slow and careful and takes advantage of that feature. Is there a way to set-up a cheap esc like that, or is there a cheap alternative that has that built in?
suchmuchfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2009, 09:31 AM   #2

Thatīs intersting for me too. I just have bougth an Axial AX-10 for my son.
In mine I have a Tekin combo, which is too expensive for the second crawler.

Mario
Rubberduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:16 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I've been messing with a duratrax CC for a couple weeks now. You will need an esc that is capable of 14.4 volts. I tried running mine off of a rooster crawler on 7 cells and it didn't have hardly any power. The cheapest option for esc I've found for them is a novak EVX made for traxxas. These can be picked up used for $50 or less. The other option would be a new cc sidewinder, but that is around $70.
brokenb4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:33 AM   #4

How did you wire the motors? A long time ago I built a 4x4 Stampede with two motors. I used only 1 6 cell batt and it ran very well, but I remember there was a certain way I had to wire the motors. I don't really need it all that fast anyway, right?

Really I am wondering how people with cheap esc deal with the brake thing.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:02 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Under most situations it would be fine but the motors in the CC do not make much power, they are a smaller size(380). On 14.4 volts they do ok but are no power house. Fast isn't the issue but when you start to climb something and all 4 tires quit pulling it sucks.

People have been trying to come up with an alternative but as of now the best option(not the cheapest) is the holmes 454 motors. I've seen them run on 5 cells because 6 is too much power.

Last edited by brokenb4; 04-01-2009 at 11:04 AM.
brokenb4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 11:15 AM   #6

Thanks for the info. When you say on 14.4 volts, I assume you are meaning 7.2 each, like with the EVX? I am looking at those. I can see the climbing issue. That is one problem I am not having with my Axial

I am still reading everything I can. It may be that this truck isn't going to be worth it. The price is hard to pass up.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:29 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

The Sidewinder micro is a great starter esc...It has a decent drag brake and is so small.
nonstopboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 01:04 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

check the for sale section. I have seen roosters go for under $50 on there. Then you will be familiar with it.
timo992001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 01:08 PM   #9

Can't see that yet, not enough posts. Plan to, though.
Old 04-01-2009, 02:30 PM   #10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qA5-B6eEY5o

Here is a little vid of the girl crawling over a simple back yard obstacle. I know, not terribly impressive unless you are her proud daddy.
Old 04-01-2009, 02:38 PM   #11
~THE SCALE SHOP~

yeah for the CC you will need a 14.4v esc for the stock motors, a suitable 7.2 motor has yet to be found for the CC. were getting close though...
i cant wait cause ive had this rooster crawler esc waiting.
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:35 AM   #12

Amen for R/C rock crawling...It's been almost 10 years since I've had and built a R/C and I am excited to say I will be purchasing my first crawler soon, the Axial AX10. It's just good to see people on here with the same "use to be into R/C and rock crawling go me back in" type story. ROCK ON!
Roxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 09:41 PM   #13

Hey, bringing this back up.
Any experience with the Mayham Crawler esc, especially how the drag brake works?
http://rc4wdstore.com/product_info.p...roducts_id=939
Saw it in another post and figured I would see if there is any real experience.