Tekin FX-R 22 36.07%
Castle Mamba Max 30 49.18%
Novak Rooster Crawler 9 14.75%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: Best ESC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2009, 06:05 PM   #1

Default Best ESC

Please vote for one and if you want to, leave some feed back on your pick, pros and cons, I will buy one of these three for my SCX10. thanks in advance.
Chevyfanaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2009, 06:11 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Kaetwo's Tekin FX-R Review...
legion1capone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 06:16 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

you beat me to it.
calcat430d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 08:12 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I had to vote Tekin as it's the only one I own. Actually, I don't even have it yet as I just ordered it for my own SCX10! The review was too good not to!
Sydwaiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 08:31 PM   #5
RCC Addict

I've had all three and the mamba's hands down the best. The rooster is limited to 8 cells, and the drag brake's too strong, and it's not really programmable. The tekin is very, very nice (I have 2) but it's not as smooth or robust as the mamba. The programming is kind of a wash between the FX and the mamba. The tekin is easier to manually program, but you can't do as much with it as the Mamba, plus the mamba comes with everything you need to program it via your computer. The mamba will also do brushless, making it far more versitile. Did I mention that the mamba max is the very smoothest ESC on the market for brushed motors? You won't even beleive it, nothing compares.

Beyond that, I've been beating on the same mamba max for a year and a half, and it's never, ever given me any greif. It pushed my XXX-T past 50 MPH, I've put 4 cell lipo to it, dunked it in water and it still works like the day it was made. The few times I've had to call castle support, they've managed to solve my problem quickly and courteously, and every time it was me being stupid, not the product's fault Every single thing I've ever heard about castle support has been positive, and my good experiences were enough to convince me to buy 3 more castle esc's and 6 or 7 BEC's.

I won't tell you not to buy the tekin. Really, I do like them. I just like the mamba max better. It's really hard to justify the price of the rooster though, when you compare it to other esc's out there. If the rooster cost 50 or 60 bucks it'd be one hell of a deal, but for 90 it's kind of a jip IMHO.

Last edited by chrisjlittle; 04-01-2009 at 08:39 PM.
chrisjlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 08:33 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

i have been runnibg the novak crawler combo for about a month now, i like it it is extremely entry level. the drag brake works great and when i am ready it is already set up for lipo! the combo comes with a 55t motor that i might switch out here soon it works well but i want a little more wheel speed. alot of people i know use the mamba max and love it due to its tuneability, eventually i will try that esc. good luck!!!
tonylivestoday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 04:54 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Default Mamba Max

I really like the Mamba Max. There is so much programmability. I have also heard really good things about the Tekin FXR.

It really comes down to personal preference
treday619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 05:02 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

There's no question about it really, the Mamba Max is the best out of the ones you've posted. Like someone mentioned, the Novak is a good ESC now that they've gotten most of the glitching problems fixed, but it's pretty well entry level. The Tekin FXR is a great ESC from what I've heard. Super smooth and one of the smallest ESC's I've ever seen. But when it comes to the best, the MM is just as smooth, and can handle tons more power wise than the FXR. It's a little bigger size wise, but for anything over a 2s lipo, or anything running two motors like a Berg, your best bet is gonna be with the MM.
MCSCOTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 08:27 PM   #9

I thank you guys for your input. It is now making my decision a bit more difficult now because I was about 98% set on the tekin but now i dont know, I may consider the Mamba. The only thing that has kept me from purchasing the Tekin was the so called "issues" when you run it with a 35T motor which I am 100% set on using in my rig. Does anyone know if the new Tekins come with the software updates already in place? Im not sure I want to spend $30 on a simple USB cable! I think Ive got it narrowed down noe to the two.

Were off to a good start here with feedback, I'd still like some more opinions and votes though please.

Also can anyone recommend some places to check for the best pricing on electronics. thanks.

BTW- I have read the entire thread by Kaetwo on the FXR.
Chevyfanaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 11:02 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

I would recommend checking some of the vendor sites. Nothing better than supporting the people who support us and this hobby. If nothing there check out ebay

Support RCCRAWLER Vendors
treday619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 11:41 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

If you can wait a little longer i would go with the Holmes Hobbies TorqueMaster BR-XL

here is a link for more info:

http://holmeshobbies.com/product.php...4&cat=2&page=1
51504rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 07:17 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51504rock View Post
If you can wait a little longer i would go with the Holmes Hobbies TorqueMaster BR-XL

here is a link for more info:

http://holmeshobbies.com/product.php...4&cat=2&page=1
X2
I haven't read or seen much about it yet, but if it's a Holmes product most likely it will be the absolute best there is.
MCSCOTT is offline   Reply With Quote