Thread: Shaft or MOA?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2009, 04:22 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Shaft or MOA?

This is what I'm contemplating.

Some questions

1. I don't compete, is MOA worth it?

2. If I go MOA I have to get 2 ESC's ? Or can I use one?

3. How fast do these things go? I have never used / seen a crawler?

Bear with me, I have a couple more threads open as well with other questions.

Kevin
knuckleslammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2009, 05:19 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Some people will say a moa will out preform a shafty but I think they are prety equal and each has it's advantages. I have a shafty and love the performance plus thefact it's shaft driven like a real truck. I have never used a moa rig myself but I have no urge to get one eather I love the waymy shafty drives. So in the end it's realy all up to you. My crawler is a
Tad faster than walking speed but you can get them to have a bit more wheelspeed if you want with higher voltage batts and gearing. I think you can run one esc on two motors or one esc I each and controls the axle speeds f/r independly. Hope this awnsers some of you questions.
ctrwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 05:33 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I just went to my first comp today. There were 22 folks in 2.2 class....not one single MOA there. Driveshafts were the least of anyone's worries.
ErichF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 05:41 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

For me it's simple.

Non comp rig = shafty for having fun with something that is as close to scale as I can get it.

Comp rig = MOA for a more reliable dig, and the added strength of 2 motors and 2 transmissions, not to mention putting the weight of those right on the axle where they need to be. You also don't have to worry about torque twist issues with a MOA rig that you have with a shafty.

Yes you can run a MOA setup with just one ESC if you choose, in fact alot of the current Berg drivers are running them this way with the electro dig switch setup. Check the Berg section to get more ideas on it.

Some of these don't go too fast, but it all depends on your battery, motor(s), and gearing. Personally I have a 2.2 shafty with the stock AX10 tranny and a 14t pinion, but I'm running a 7t Cobalt so it goes as fast as I would want it to go. The fun isn't in the speed, it's in the fact that nothing can stop them or slow them down much from their normal running speed if built properly.

Last edited by MCSCOTT; 04-04-2009 at 06:50 PM.
MCSCOTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 06:07 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Anybody that says shafty is better than MOA or that they are equal obviously doesnt have an MOA rig. If you just wanna bash around and casual crawl an outta the box shafty will keep you more than happy for a while. If youre going to compete just go right to MOA...
ElChupacabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 07:12 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Thanks guys, I realize that these things aren't an xx-4 or anything. I'm just trying to get an idea. I'd like something with a tad bit of speed that is able to climb rock too.

So if I had an MOA, it would just essentially be 1 esc 2 motors, with the esc pushing the same voltage to both motors, whereas with 2 esc's you have a stick control and can put more juice to the back or front if you wish. Plus I guess with the stick control and the 2 motors, you can have 4 wheel steering as well. I'd love to get this thing, but I can't visualize what it would look like without that body on it. I like the look of the tubular frame as there is only a couple pieces of plastic to worry about.

I had like 12 bodies when I was into the buggy scene. I'd rather play than paint.

Old 04-04-2009, 07:18 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Keep in mind...you can't use 2 brushless motors on one ESC. I don't know if you were considering brushless or not...
ErichF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 07:24 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErichF View Post
Keep in mind...you can't use 2 brushless motors on one ESC. I don't know if you were considering brushless or not...
Not sure about brushless. If I could find some motors that would last 6 months, I'd be cool. I don't want to mess with motors. Anyhow, thanks for the info. I'll download that tidbit into my frontal lobe
Old 04-04-2009, 07:34 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElChupacabra View Post
Anybody that says shafty is better than MOA or that they are equal obviously doesnt have an MOA rig

Each type of crawler has it's pro's and con's....you just need to weigh them and see what works best for you...
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 10:52 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

have a shafty but after going to a couple of comps & watching the moa perform i'm building a moa.
bajajam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 11:00 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

We just had a local get together. It was my first time there and being able to see all differant kinds of builds. Most were comp rigs. I'd say it was a half and half mix of MOA and shaft drivin trucks. I drove both types while I was there. If you have a well setup and thought out shaft driven truck it can do what an MOA rig can. But I think that the MOA rigs are the way to go. These things sidehill like crazy and go up hills I can only dream of! That's just my opion, you really can't go wrong either way. Since whatever you get won't stay stock for long. Why, because crawling is addicting!

Start with either berg axles or axial axles and go from there.

Last edited by legion1capone; 04-04-2009 at 11:03 PM.
legion1capone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 08:02 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

If you build it you will love it,,,and nobody has just one truck
do both !!!
Osco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 08:54 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Default Its pronounced WOOSTA

Regardless of MOA or SHAFTY, the addiction factor is huge. My other RCs just get worked on to keep them running well, but any crawler can be fine tuned and modded for hours on end. The endless cycle of tweaking and testing is what makes this all so fun. Your crawler is never done.

The MOA simply has two percieved advantages, the weight of two heavy motors is down at the axle, and torque twist is not an issue. The MOA also has two drawbacks I hear about, electronic dig is not quite as predictable as mechanical dig and you cant free-wheel the rear axle, only lock it out.

HOWEVER, my shafty is dialed in and I can follow a MOA all day long. I have no torque twist and my added wheel weight easily compensates for the motor weight up at the chassis. AND, because I have no motor on the rear axle, the rear is so light that the front of the truck just drags the rear around with ease.

My buddy has a MOA and he's also and excellent driver. There were rock sections I couldn't get past, but he coached my driving, and I breezed right past them. So, your evolving driving skill will play a huge role too. Bottom line, comps are won by either type of truck.

Overall, I vote shafty. They are just so fun!
J.DUKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 10:07 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

So I'm told not to go with aluminum axles. Just use stock AX10 ones? With aluminum C's and hubs?
Old 04-05-2009, 08:47 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuckleslammer View Post
So I'm told not to go with aluminum axles. Just use stock AX10 ones? With aluminum C's and hubs?
That's because aluminum catches on rocks and "sticks" where as plastic will slide easyer you could go as far as delrin axle cases for tlt or ax10 axles but that's not needed plastic are fine.

Last edited by ctrwannabe; 04-06-2009 at 10:04 AM. Reason: Spelling
ctrwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 06:26 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuckleslammer View Post
Just use stock AX10 ones? With aluminum C's and hubs?
Bingo! I run this combo on my comp axial and have had no issues with housing weakness so far.

BTW, I think you meant aluminum C's and knuckles....
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 12:36 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

well if you dont intend to comp just yet and just want a crawler and have some fun at a good price i just would get a RTR axial to me its best of both worlds very good crawler and basher. for me a berg would be more for comp. But thats just me. good luc
ryan48 is offline   Reply With Quote