Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Integy Unlimited Class Crawler SSPro

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2009, 05:00 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Integy Unlimited Class Crawler SSPro

Anybody have any experience with this? What I'm looking to do is build a rig and have aluminum axles. I want a full aluminum rig. I'm contemplating between a hustler 2.2 , a copperhead or a

Or an axial with this tube chassis

Or a hustler super, which I'd have to hire someone to wire it :-(

And if I get one of those, can I use these?

Or perhaps one of these but somehow find where I can get some aluminum axles for it. I'm a noob, I don't know yet, what fits with what.

I'm all over the map here fellas. I love the idea of the hustler super with the batteries on the axles but I'd have to hire somoene to wire it. I can solder like a pro but have no ideas about 2 esc's 2 motors and how to wire this.

I'd use lipo if they are smaller.

Last edited by knuckleslammer; 04-04-2009 at 05:03 PM.
knuckleslammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2009, 07:17 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Wiring up a dual ESC crawler is fairly simple and has been done many times on this board. I've got a Clod that is run with two Castle Creations Sidewinders and the wiring wasnt any more difficult than building the rest of the rig. You will, likely, need to run this setup using a stick radio.

Also, aluminum isn't all that it is cracked up to be. It chunks terribly when you drag it over rocks. On my clod, I run aluminum tubes for strength, but stock gear cases for slippyness....

Here's the buildup thread, if you are interested:
New Build

BTW, that last rig would not require dual ESCs. It is a shaft driven crawler and has a central transmission that only needs one motor.

Last edited by JeremyH; 04-04-2009 at 07:28 PM.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 07:27 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

good point, I'm just trying to think ahead into what's going to give me the least amount of headaches as far as breaking sh*t.

I want to go into this with all the extra parts that I could possibly need. I can't stand having to order and wait for stuff. So I figured aluminum = strength.

Thanks
Old 04-04-2009, 07:32 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Well, it's best to spend your money where it's needed and not where it is unnecessary. You really need to determine what type of crawler (2.2, super, motor on axle, shaft driven, clod, berg, RC4WD, etc.) you want to start with first, then start reading the different builds in that section of this forum. From that, you should get PLENTY of information and ideas.
Old 04-04-2009, 07:40 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
Well, it's best to spend your money where it's needed and not where it is unnecessary. You really need to determine what type of crawler (2.2, super, motor on axle, shaft driven, clod, berg, RC4WD, etc.) you want to start with first, then start reading the different builds in that section of this forum. From that, you should get PLENTY of information and ideas.

Thanks man. What I'm really concerned about is getting a proper kit with stuff that works and fits. I don't like having to hack when I'm spending a lot of dough on this stuff. I can hack, but stuff should fit together at this price.

So 2.2 is basically like 1/10 scale and super is like 1/8th scale?

Are supers always MOA as well?

I'm most likely going to go tubular as I think it looks cool and I am so sick and tired of painting bodies.
Old 04-04-2009, 07:51 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Yep, those scales are right on the mark.

Super's dont have to be MOA....I am currently building a shafty super out of TXT axles and others build them from Twin Force axles.

The easiest way to get into this hobby is to by a reliable RTR or ARTR.....and for that, you cant beat the Axial AX-10 ARTR. It has some decent upgrades over the RTR and will allow you to buy your own electronics. I'm not saying that building a super is more expensive or more difficult than a 2.2, but I think that the AX10 ARTR is a good place to begin.

There are also plenty of Tube chassis in production that mount up directly to the AX10....for example, the TCS Edge (which you pictured above) and Eclipse, the RBZ Warthog, and many others....
Old 04-04-2009, 10:58 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuckleslammer View Post
Thanks man. What I'm really concerned about is getting a proper kit with stuff that works and fits. I don't like having to hack when I'm spending a lot of dough on this stuff. I can hack, but stuff should fit together at this price.
If you feel this way, steer clear of the integy kits. They might go together well enough, but don't expect them to work well or hold up.

Jeremy's right about Aluminum. Use it only where necessary, like knuckles, C's (or tubes on a clod) servo horns, but al axle housings just get torn up and cause hang ups on the rocks. And yes, I agree also that the axial ARTR is the best starting point for crawling at this moment. Add some aluminum knuckles and C's and decent electronics, maybe stronger driveshafts and you'll have a pretty sturdy little rig with minimal effort
chrisjlittle is offline   Reply With Quote