Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Axial SCX ordered, now what motor ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2009, 11:24 PM   #1

Default Axial SCX ordered, now what motor ?

Hi Guys, great forum here.

I'm completely new to crawlers but have been in the RC car world for many many years. I currently own 3 HPI baja 5B's and also a 5T. I fancied a total change in direction with my RC builds and Rock Crawling was just the thing I was looking for.

After much deliberation, I went with the Axial SCX-10 for some general crawling and trail riding. I have also ordered a set of beautiful Darksoul Racing beadlock wheels and a Proline Bushwacker body for the build so I'm almost ready.

I haven't ran any electric R/C since the grasshopper back in the 80's so I expect technology has moved on a fair bit since then. I am looking for some decent torque and a top speed no greater than 5-6mph and would like your suggestions on motors, ESC's etc.

I am assuming that brushless motors will offer longer runtime than brushed? If so then I would prefer that set up.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
flake99please is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2009, 02:17 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

i would say go with a 45t motor......
ElChupoCabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 12:38 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Brushless for crawlers is a thing of the past....A PHASE come-and-gone

No need for brushless....get a good 45t motor and run a good 2-3 cell lipo(2000 MaH and up) and you will get at least an hour of run time. A 35t might be good for a little more speed with the scaler.

Check out the Epic, Holmes or warrior motors...
nonstopboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 02:25 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

IMO, Id say prolly a 45-50t?
grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 02:47 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

some where in the 27-55t range will still have a good amount for the scx but id want a lil more speed from this truck
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 03:29 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Hey Flake, I am using the Holmes Hobby 7t Puller motor in my SCX. It has just amazing amount of torque. What I did was use the 7t Puller, and put on a 23t pinion. It still has fantastic low speed resolution for crawling, and lots of top speed for running to the next patch of rocks.

I promise you, you will not be disappointed with this motor.

http://holmeshobbies.com/product.php...2&cat=0&page=1
DarkSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 04:17 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Given that you have $5000+ in baja's I doubt money is much of an issue for you. I would recommend a venom fireball as I just recently got one and really like it. It is super smooth on the torque applications and just seems nice to me. The only other motor I have ran is the integy lathe motors, which I really dislike (just my opinion).

I have no experience with brushless motors but if I understand the popular opinion correctly, they are not nearly as smooth as brushed on the low speed\torquey end of the power spectrum. This is unless you run sensored brushless which are bulky and even more expensive. (Again, I'm relatively certain this is accurate, believe at your own risk:-P)

As far as run-time, my SCX-10 with a 45 or 50 turn motor and a 3000 MaH battery gives at LEAST an hour run time if your strictly crawlin, then comfortably above that up to about 90 mins for me. This is with 2.2 tires, 5.5oz lead weights per wheel and a new bright hard plastic body (so overall a somewhat heavy truck)
hibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 11:58 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

I have a 55t Tekin and it seems to work pretty good for me
801FuNk801 is offline   Reply With Quote