Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Whats up? I need to get started!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2009, 07:24 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Whats up? I need to get started!

Hey guys, I am new here and hope to soon get into the Crawling. I fly rc ant this time and have decided to land for a while and do some rock crawler action. My buddy and I at work bought some Nylint 1.6 crawlers I got the jeep and he got the scorpion. These are fun but I can only imagine how the higher wuality ones are. I am looking to see what I want to get and if you all have any suggestions please let me know what would be good for me. Thanks
4X4 Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2009, 07:43 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

axial will be releasing their RTC soon (ready to crawl) it looks like a decent entry leval set up, the RTR is a bit of a waste of money if you plan to get really involved with this, the electronics kinda suck, the plastic steering and suspention links are kinda useless, and the tires arnt that good, it makes for a decent basher truck but with out alot of $ it will never be a quaility crawler, the ARTR is ther next step all aluminum links and steering, decent tires just have to add your own electrics. its the route i went and am very please with it..

a great set up (and afordable) would be

ARTR
tekin FXR combo (motor [55 or 45t] and esc) ( tekin combo offers more battery / motor options that its compatible with. i went with the rooster crawler from novak and am already looking to change it so i can run 3s lipo, roster only does 2s)
2s lipo the higher the MAH the better
and your choice of radio

if you dont want to go lipo the 2/3a split packs are a good option to help keep the weight down
ultimate_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 10:11 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Default Ax artr

I bought this one when I started, and I love the performance. The rig comes upgraded out the box. The best thing is you choose the electronics. Great value for a RC Rock Crawler.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 07:58 AM   #4

The new RTC axial looks like a much better setup than the RTR was. If you just want to open and get going it may be the ticket. Of course, I don't think it is out yet.

I bought the ARTR with a Novak Rooster crawler combo. I had a radio and servo already.

The biggest decision you have to make is how much you are willing to invest. You can spend an absolute ton and not worry about things later (ARTR + excellent electronics_. You can go cheap and accept that there may be limitations (RTR Axial). You can just "get your feet wet" and plan on upgrading later(RTC, or ARTR w/ cheap electronics). What I hate seeing people to is go cheap only to drop lots of coin later on what they really wanted to begin with. If you have the money and are willing, spend it up front.

My point is, look at your budget first and that may help us give you better advice.

Last edited by suchmuchfun; 05-03-2009 at 09:25 AM.
suchmuchfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 09:16 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Well, i decided to go crawlin a while ago and then faced the same challenge you do now. Which vehicle to get. Being as I'm a poor broke bastard It came down to the Axial rtr, or the MRC. I didnt have enough money at the time to get the ARTR axial I wanted and the electronics it needed so I did some more research and ruled out the RTR, and the ARTR. I finally settled on a losi MRC. While its not as big as the axial, It has tons of hop ups, comes with everything, is pretty capable out of the box, and with only about 30 bucks and a few hours it can get real serious. for about an extra 150 or less you can buy lots of parts to be completely comp ready. Or you can DIY and be comp ready for under 70.
If I had the cash, I would have went with the ARTR tho.
soundcolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:01 AM   #6

Definitely go with the Axial RTC. I wish they would have released this thing about a month earlier. I bought the RTR, and immediately started dropping coins left and right on upgrades. Welcome to the hobbie though.
zackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 11:01 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I would start by buying yourself a set of Berg or similar MOA type axles and build your own rig using the vendors section on here.You will be alot happier in the end.IMO
Jeepial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 03:42 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Default Got it.

WELL, i ENDED UP GETTING THE SCX 10 AND JUST FINISHED BUILDING IT. i NEED TO GET A NEW ESC AND WANT IT TO BE WATER PROOF i WILL POST SOME PICS WHEN DONE.
4X4 Freak is offline   Reply With Quote