Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: SCX10 Electronics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2009, 02:47 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default SCX10 Electronics

I will be building my first RC crawler soon (hopefully without a b0110ck1ing from Mom and Dad!) Using a China Hardbody D90 and an SCX10.

I want to keep the costs relatively low, and re-use some electrics from my old Tamiya Mini Cooper. I want to reuse:

-7.2v Stick Pack
-Radio Gear (receiver/Transmitor)

now the two questions I have are:

-Will the Standard Motor that was with the mini work in the truck? The truck will be for more general offroading, not out-and-out crawling.
-The Radio stuff is Acoms Techniplus, and came with two servos. Would i be able to use one of these? or is it not going to be powerful enough?

On a more general note, (i have searched but no results) What is the motor turn limit about on ESCs?

Thanks!
landy-ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2009, 03:20 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Anything will "work" it's just a matter of how well it will work.

Stock Mabuchi motors will take a beating, but they lack out and out power. But scaler's are fine with anything that makes them "go" depending on excatly what you're doing with it.

Most "included" ESC's have a motor limit of the "the included motor" or maybe as low as a 15 turn. Any ESC should be able to handle a crawler type 55 turn motor though. Higher turns is actually easier on the ESC.

Servo's well, Don't skimp on a servo, you'll regret it.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 03:23 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

OK, i'll try the motor for now, can always change it later

So the motor limit is limiting the minimum number of turns? not the max?

And with the servo's, i have them already, so i might as well try
Cheers!

Last edited by landy-ross; 05-06-2009 at 04:02 PM.
Old 05-06-2009, 03:25 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

get a hitec 645 good fair priced servo, get a good 35t motor and a fairly nice esc. yes the limint is the lowest number of turns. i also have been blocked by mom and dad with the hobby. get it no matter what they say this is a great kit and crawls well it will almost keep up with my comp crawler. im running a 27t motor with great results but could use more tourqe at time and it needs to be steped up to a 35t

Last edited by 2500hdon37s; 05-06-2009 at 03:29 PM.
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 04:22 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I'm building the exact same truck. Your not stalking me are you? That D90 hardbody is almost the perfect wheelbase. Its about 1.5cm to long though. I plan on shortening it up a little using the swx links in the rear. WB should be perfect then. Post up some pics when your done. Mines gonna be a while. I don't have parents to worry about but my gf gets mad when I spend my money on "toys". Oh well she'll get over it.
AlmstEvil665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 05:18 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

For the ESC, I found this. http://www.speedymodels.com/novak-ro...ombo-728-p.asp

I have heard good stuff about Novac Rooster, will the 55t be too slow in the SCX 10? if it was too slow could i gear it back up?
Any other ESCs i should be looking at? Tekin Fx-R?

I want Zero Delay Reverse.
Also I think I am right in saying I want Drag brake to. Does this hold it on slopes until the throttle is moved?

how about this: http://www.wonderlandmodels.com/prod...GoogleShopping ?????

Last edited by landy-ross; 05-07-2009 at 05:40 PM.
Old 05-07-2009, 06:36 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Where are you getting the D90 hardbody, got any links for it? I'm building up a berg and converting my old shafty comper to a scaler and I want to run a realistic D90 hardbody. I've checked a few places here and there, but many of them are ridiculously expensive, just trying to get some more options.
Boogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 06:41 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I just got the Novak Combo you're looking at. It is great. Zero reverse delay and drake brake. You are right that the drake brake will keep your wheels "at brake" when you are on the face of a rock.

Eric
RustlerHustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 02:59 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcabner View Post
Where are you getting the D90 hardbody, got any links for it? I'm building up a berg and converting my old shafty comper to a scaler and I want to run a realistic D90 hardbody. I've checked a few places here and there, but many of them are ridiculously expensive, just trying to get some more options.
You got a PM...or atleast you will in a mo ;)
Old 05-08-2009, 03:04 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustlerHustler View Post
I just got the Novak Combo you're looking at. It is great. Zero reverse delay and drake brake. You are right that the drake brake will keep your wheels "at brake" when you are on the face of a rock.

Eric
Have you got this in the SCX10? if so...any chance of a video of its top speed? cheers
Old 05-08-2009, 05:43 PM   #11

I have an scx-10 with a 55t motor and a novak rooster, top speed is about 3 mph with stock gears. Awesome torque, amazing crawling, but no wheel speed.

Swapped the stock 14 tooth pinion today for a 16 tooth, picked up a bit of speed, but doesn't go through the grass as well, and doesn't crawl as well either. It''s a bit better getting between spots, but I think I will change the pinion back to a 15 tooth and try that.

To answer your question, yes, I think it's a good setup, and you can regear it for speed if that's what you want. Gears are cheaper than motors at a few quid each, and the slower it runs the longer the battery lasts.

Trial and error, and just drive it and see what you like. If you change it, you can always change it back.
ballman6711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 09:45 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

I'm am going to get the Novak Rooster/45t combo. Will this come with all the wires/connectors already soldered on?? or do they need to be got separately?
Old 05-12-2009, 12:43 PM   #13
RCC Addict

if i remember correctly the novak rooster esc needs to have the motor plugs soldered on, and i think most motors come bare; in need of wire and plug. .. .
IDnewcrwlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 02:33 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

OK, can i get bullet connectors like the ones on my Tamiya Mini? so i can have the motors interchangeable. and also what wire should i use?
Old 05-12-2009, 02:46 PM   #15
RCC Addict

i would say that you should be able to, here in the U.S. you can get those types of plugs at a radio shack or local lhs. .. . and as far as wire goes, im sure that anythin like this, down to a 14-gauge should work fine. .. .

http://www.ckrccrawlers.com/shop/ind...roducts_id=539
IDnewcrwlr is offline   Reply With Quote