Brushless LRP Crawler 2 14.29%
Brushless Sidewinder 0 0%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: To brush or not to Brush that is the question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2009, 12:15 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default To brush or not to Brush that is the question

been doing some searching for ESCs, debating what to get, brushed setup or brushless. I've been told the brushless does not have the low end torque needed to be a comp set up, but if it turns the wheels, it works. On the other end, I've seen the "power" of the brushless system. What do to??
Happy_trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2009, 12:27 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Brushed Tekin FXR. They are the most adjustable and provide the smoothest throttle response especially on the low end.

Unless your competing against me.....then you want something else
Miller Tyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 12:57 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

hahaha, I really want to try the LRP crawler, I've always had good to say about the LRP, my 6 on roads have LRP speed controls, but this is completely new
Old 05-24-2009, 08:43 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Brushed hands down...you can always alter your power with battery choice and/or gearing.

Brushless is getting better, but in my opinion you'll never get one as smooth down low for crawling.

If you're really on the fence, pick up a Castle Sidewinder (which will handle both) along with a Castle BEC and Link, and a nice brushed motor.

Drive it, tune it, tweak it...and if you end up wanting brushless, you're all set to make the switch with the Sidewinder
CreepyCrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 09:54 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

is the sidewinder the same like the goat, they can go brush or brushless??
Old 05-24-2009, 10:07 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

It is...but I personaly stay away from the Orange...I just don't think that the quality is there any longer.
CreepyCrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 10:35 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy_trucker View Post
is the sidewinder the same like the goat, they can go brush or brushless??
The sidewinder will do brushless, but its strictly unsensored. The goat, Tekin RS and LRP controllers use a sensor in the motor which tells the ESC the position of the rotor, which is a superior setup IMO. With unsensored ESCs you would want to use an outrunner motor, and you'll struggle with cogging down low.

Personally I think the Mamba Max is the best setup. I've never had a sidewinder, but I have a couple FX-Rs and they can't touch the smoothness of a Mamba down low. Not to trash talk the FX-R, I'm quite happy with them, the Mamba is just so damn smooth I can't imagine anything ever touching it. I'd run that with a 35 or 45t motor, 3s lipo and a CC BEC (which you'll need with most anything) and you'll have a pretty sweet setup

Edit: I've found a bit of expo does a good job of compensating for the FX-R's slightly twitchier bottom end. Once you do that you'll be hard pressed to tell a difference. Also, the Tekin ESC's I've used don't take well to cheap radios-most ESC's have some sort of filter for the noise that inevitably comes with cheap (27mhz AM stuff primarily) radios, the FX-R doesn't have this; it does exactly what it's told. I'd guess you have a decent radio if you have 6 on road cars though, it's just good to know about.

Last edited by chrisjlittle; 05-24-2009 at 10:40 PM.
chrisjlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 12:23 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjlittle View Post
Personally I think the Mamba Max is the best setup. I've never had a sidewinder, but I have a couple FX-Rs and they can't touch the smoothness of a Mamba down low.
myfxr´s are way smoother after the last update
EGRESSor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 01:38 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjlittle View Post
The sidewinder will do brushless, but its strictly unsensored. The goat, Tekin RS and LRP controllers use a sensor in the motor which tells the ESC the position of the rotor, which is a superior setup IMO. With unsensored ESCs you would want to use an outrunner motor, and you'll struggle with cogging down low.

Personally I think the Mamba Max is the best setup. I've never had a sidewinder, but I have a couple FX-Rs and they can't touch the smoothness of a Mamba down low. Not to trash talk the FX-R, I'm quite happy with them, the Mamba is just so damn smooth I can't imagine anything ever touching it. I'd run that with a 35 or 45t motor, 3s lipo and a CC BEC (which you'll need with most anything) and you'll have a pretty sweet setup

Edit: I've found a bit of expo does a good job of compensating for the FX-R's slightly twitchier bottom end. Once you do that you'll be hard pressed to tell a difference. Also, the Tekin ESC's I've used don't take well to cheap radios-most ESC's have some sort of filter for the noise that inevitably comes with cheap (27mhz AM stuff primarily) radios, the FX-R doesn't have this; it does exactly what it's told. I'd guess you have a decent radio if you have 6 on road cars though, it's just good to know about.
I was actually planning to use my Airtronics RDS8000 2.4 ghz on my next crawler. I know it's a stick controller but I feel a little more control with the longer throw. I just need to get another receiver and I can go from my Hi-lift Tundra to the Comp crawler with a push of a button.

I think I narrowed it down to either the Tekin FXR or the mamba Max brushed with some sort of motor.

Last edited by Happy_trucker; 05-25-2009 at 01:40 AM.
Old 05-25-2009, 01:55 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Brushed Motors all the way.............because of the control and "smoothness"
clodbuilder99 is offline   Reply With Quote