Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Losi Comp or AX10?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2009, 03:10 PM   #1

Default Losi Comp or AX10?

I'm looking to get a 1/10 scale crawler and right now I'm trying to decide between these two. I've been browsing the forum, and doing a bit of research and I've still got a few questions. First, is the worm-drive axle on the Losi as big a pain in the ass as it seems? Seems like it's creating way too much friction and heat in the axles and the motor. I'm not really looking to run BL, so that really is a big deal to me. The Axial axles seem pretty solid and a good design. Am I right? Also, how much better is the Losi's steering? I know it's got the CVD's and the Axial doesn't, but the Axial isn't really a schoolbus, is it? I'm most likely going to braze up a tuber chassis, so stock chassis doesn't really matter. Is the DIG setup a big pro? Sounds like it might be a weakpoint to me. Just looking for some reassurances so that I know I make the right decision. Thanks.
fawkes23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-2009, 03:15 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

i went to my hobby shop and the losi just takes it compared to my ax-10 you wont haveto buy much at all for it to be comp ready
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 03:16 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

The Losi is new and has bugs - If you buy one now you'll have to deal with them and be patient. The dig is pretty slick and the axles don't even roll a mm when engaged.

The Axial is proven and has a huge aftermarket. You can buy the CVD's for it.

If you must have something now, go axial ARTR or RTC, if you can wait till the bugs get worked out, go Losi.
engineerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 11:31 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

The worm gear axles on the Losi are IMO a far superior design. Having a rig that won't roll, unless it is powered, is sweet. As for extra heat and friction from the axles, I wouldn't say that it would be an issue. Worm gears are a very smooth, and efficient design. I have the AX10, and I will be buying a Losi when I can get my hands on one. Bugs or no bugs, I'd say it is a better rig. Yes the Axial is proven, and the aftermarket is huge, but give it time and the same aftermarket will be supplying for Losi. You just get better goods right out of the box with the Losi. You buy an Axial, and you are looking at quite a few bucks to get its components to the same level.
Mayze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 11:45 AM   #5
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayze View Post
The worm gear axles on the Losi are IMO a far superior design. Having a rig that won't roll, unless it is powered, is sweet. As for extra heat and friction from the axles, I wouldn't say that it would be an issue. Worm gears are a very smooth, and efficient design.
Wow, NO. Worm gears are NOT efficient! It is a down fall of worm gears period. You WILL expierence shorter run times, no way around it. A "far" superior design........that is a big reach. The lack of being able to freewheel is a big downfall to a ton of competitiors. The best drivers in the country use freewheel to a huge advantage. The worm gears have a couple pros, such as taking the reduction to the axle to help reduce torque twist (but does not elimate it) and the increased clearance do the the smaller required side of the ring gear. However the inefficinecy of the gears is a big down side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayze View Post
I have the AX10, and I will be buying a Losi when I can get my hands on one. Bugs or no bugs, I'd say it is a better rig. Yes the Axial is proven, and the aftermarket is huge, but give it time and the same aftermarket will be supplying for Losi. You just get better goods right out of the box with the Losi. You buy an Axial, and you are looking at quite a few bucks to get its components to the same level.
AX-10 definitely needs work to compete with the best rigs out there, but the we still haven't seen if the Losi will ever be able to take any abuse. Until Losi can get parts out there that will work I would buy an RTC any day.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 12:13 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Wow hey. Don't I just feel like a total dipshit. Thanks Harley.
Mayze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 01:12 PM   #7
20K Club

I just think that there is a lot of proving to be done before we can call Losi a good alternative to the AX10. I think that RTC is a great starter rig. Really wish it would have been around when I started even.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 01:33 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

yup. The axial is a well proven design. I would go with it for that reason alone.
bigflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 01:33 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

seems like their are no benefits to a Losi....Shocks leak, ( I know so do the axial's axials ), CVD's are weak, worm gear axles have too much friction, Tranny makes grinding noises if you tighten the slipper enough to climb something, the dig may be ok since nobody has complained about that yet but that may be because they haven't been able to run the Losi's long enough to encounter problems with them.

Get the Axial ARTR ( with orange links and beadlock rings ) or the RTC it already has alot of the hop-ups, nice painted body and is a proven reliable crawler. Just add a dig of your choice and you will have a nice rig.

But if you want to win comps the only thing you should be considering is MOA
Crawlin4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 01:34 PM   #10
TN State Champ 11,12,13

Go with the AX-10 especially if you ever plan to compete. As Harley said it remains to be seen if the Losi can even crawl a couch without breaking a CVD or losing pins from the drive line or bursting into flames:-P. I bought the Losi hoping it would be a viable alternative to my berg in certain situations....boy what a disappointment the losi is. It is still in the box on the bench next to my berg that kicks ass while I decide if I want run it. Long story short go with the AX-10 ARTR and drop a little coin to improve it as you can.
Pdog7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 01:40 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500hdon37s View Post
i went to my hobby shop and the losi just takes it compared to my ax-10 you wont haveto buy much at all for it to be comp ready

The only thing you will have to buy to make the Losi comp worthy is a set of berg axles for it.
Crawlin4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 01:53 PM   #12
TN State Champ 11,12,13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawlin4fun View Post
The only thing you will have to buy to make the Losi comp worthy is a set of berg axles for it.

Pdog7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 02:11 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawlin4fun View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by greasypete View Post
2,2'' Modified

1.Egressor (44)
2.blickdicht (68 )
3.bOAH (130)
4.mattin (150)
5.Mountymudder (159)
6.Psycodelic (169)
7.yaz (180)
8.Babu (184)
9.Uli (189)
10.Scooter (236)
11.Miata (281)
12.Andi S. (297)
13.stediju (361)
1. and 2. AX10
3. and 4. Berg
EGRESSor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 02:17 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

go with a used AX10 from the for sale section. I see comp setups that are just missing electronics all the time.
helhedded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 02:56 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by helhedded View Post
go with a used AX10 from the for sale section. I see comp setups that are just missing electronics all the time.
^^^

Helhedded hit it right on the nose. You're on the right track by doing research ahead of time. You can pick up really nice AX10's in the For Sale section all the time. Buying somebody else's project can save you a lot of $$.
John82601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 03:00 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

hehe.. I didn't notice this guy was new to RCC with 6 posts. FYI, you have to have 30 tech section posts to see the For Sale section. Or you can buy a green star, which you will probably end up doing anyway if you get to enjoy the RCC.
helhedded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 06:05 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawlin4fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by greasypete
2,2'' Modified

1.Egressor (44)
2.blickdicht (68 )
3.bOAH (130)