Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Noises...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2009, 11:10 PM   #1

Default Noises...

I have an Axial AX-10 that makes a creaking noise, like plastic creaking noise when I'm crawling slow and trying to climb something and get a lot of torque to the ground at a low rpm. Also kinda sounds like leaf spring flex on a 1:1 truck when wheeling. Anyone know what is making this noise and if it's okay or not? Let me know if you need more info on my setup or parts or anything. thanks.
Skysthelimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2009, 11:50 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skysthelimit View Post
I have an Axial AX-10 that makes a creaking noise, like plastic creaking noise when I'm crawling slow and trying to climb something and get a lot of torque to the ground at a low rpm. Also kinda sounds like leaf spring flex on a 1:1 truck when wheeling. Anyone know what is making this noise and if it's okay or not? Let me know if you need more info on my setup or parts or anything. thanks.
Mabye driveshafts
highlandcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 03:59 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

how much run time you have on the truck????
trans gear adapter still running the stock plastic or a slipper????
special agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 07:12 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

mine does the same stuff, i have ALOT of run time on it and about 7 comps. there is no issues with any of it. i thought it was the rod ends, but thay are all ok. run it till it breaks then let me know what happened. i think you will be fine!
tonylivestoday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 12:53 AM   #5

trans gear adapter still running stock plastic, no slipper. I'm assuming the noise is either flex/stress in the drivelines when I need lots of low end power and I'm kind of bound up, or the tranny output plastic yolks flexing. I'll take it out again tomorrow and see if I can actually figure it out or not. I couldn't the other day.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:54 AM   #6

oh, and I only have maybe 10 packs through the truck so far, so about 10 hours of run/crawl time.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:51 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

its dust getting in your drive shaft yolks happened to me or your chassis flexing
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonylivestoday View Post
mine does the same stuff, i have ALOT of run time on it and about 7 comps. there is no issues with any of it. i thought it was the rod ends, but thay are all ok. run it till it breaks then let me know what happened. i think you will be fine!
Same on this rig here! Except a lil more run time!
Rock Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 12:43 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

mine made the same noise and it was the drive shaft. a little powdered graphite and it was fine.
bighitbomber1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 03:48 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

This truck is just a creaky bastard! My truck makes the same noise, it took me a couple of weeks, but I narrowed it down to dirty bearing.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 04:29 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

my guess is rod ends/links.... my rig was creaking, I put a drop of oil in the rod ends and its gone.
barbaricboye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:07 PM   #12

So, out driving it around today, made the same noise. Not really that bad of a noise, just the only noise the truck makes besides high centering noises, lol, so just want to know what it is. I did some testing when it would start to make the noise. Seemed like it was coming from the rear, and only when the tires were slightly turning, not during a rested flex state. I gave the rig a little throttle in a tough spot, enough to make the noise, but not to get up over the obstacle, and then flexed the chassis around a bit, didn't really seem to make a difference. I picked the front up and held it in place so the rear dug in pretty hard, front tires turned freely, and the noise still was there. I then picked the back up and ran the front under hard load forward and back, rear wheels freespin in the air, and the noise was gone. So, basically I think it is something to do with the rear driveline. Either the slip part with the grooves, one of the ends, or the rear tranny yolk. I'll try to narrow it down later on exactly where in that area, but I think that is where its coming from. So, if anyone else has the creaking plastic noise, check there, see what you come up with. Good Luck everyone
Old 06-12-2009, 02:19 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

what kind of driveshafts are you running?????
Old 06-12-2009, 03:54 PM   #14

They are just the stock driveshafts and tranny output yolks. Figured I'd upgrade when I broke one.
Old 06-12-2009, 04:05 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

what if you try and swapping out the driveshafts does it still make the noise???try and drive your truck with the body off and look and see what is binding up.....maybe the driveshaft is getting twisted and binding up....how far does the male shaft do into the female shaft????