Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: rear axle/driveline is slipping

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2009, 04:04 PM   #1

Default rear axle/driveline is slipping

So this is my first thread. I am almost fed up with this hobby. I bought a used ax-10 two weeks ago. Everyone said is was a sweet buy just for all the components. I have a Novak brushless goat, with novak esc. I am running an HR dig unit. For whatever reason, whenever I climb a steep grade, the rear axle will slip about every other turn. I made sure the rear drive line is connected to the outdrive on the dig/transmission. I have taken the rear axle hub apart to make sure the dif gears arent stripped. I took the trans apart to make sure it isnt stripped. What the heck is wrong here? What am I missing? Oh yea, I also made sure the dig servo is pulling the rear drive line tight against the rear trans out drive. PLEASE HELP THE NEW GUY OUT.

thank you so much in advance.
AC-130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2009, 01:50 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Welcome to the boards.

Once you get everthing up and running you'll have a lot of fun. But breakage is not uncommon, the power trains on these truck generate and absorb a lot of torque.

It sounds like you have a U-joint slipping (where the U-joint connects with the tranny/dig or input for your diff). It is also possible for your drive line to be stripped, but not likely.

First thing you need to do is get your truck on the bench, flip it on its lid and give it power while you are holding the rear wheels. This will allow you to pin-point the exact place it is slipping. I'm betting that it is right at the output of your dig.

Last edited by Greatscott; 06-24-2009 at 01:53 PM.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:09 PM   #3

Greatscott,

Thanks for the advice, you were spot-on. I took my truck to the local shop (Capital City RC) and Ahmer helped me get everything dialed in. We found the dig servo arm was not completely tight on the pushrod. Tightening has almost eliminated the problem. I also spent some coin on aluminum shock bodies to help with the shock caps popping off. I put new tires/foams and now the truck seems to be crawling great. I'll keep my fingers crossed, put some batteries through it and maybe sign up for a comp soon. Thanks again for responding to my first post!
AC-130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 12:57 PM   #4

Default sliping drive line

the allen bolt in the slip on your drive line that gos on your dig is most likley or its the pice that comes out of the trans that the dig conects to make the rear spin the top of that could be twisted good luck dont give up it way awsome when all bugs are out
junior robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 01:01 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

I would suggest you get some other grub screws and put them in the other sides of all the outputs. should help hold things better.
tgh117 is offline   Reply With Quote