Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Is it ok for motor to be under water?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2009, 07:33 PM   #1

Default Is it ok for motor to be under water?

I was running my scorpion in a new mudding spot close to my house tonight. It's actually a drainage ditch. Anyway partb of it has some pretty deep water that I went thru and a few times it would quit and I would have to pull the truck out and push it on the ground to get it to run again. When I got to water where the motot was part way under it was shooting water out the side because the fan was under water. I was just wondering if this will hurt my motor? If not will it shorten the life? If so what can I do to be able to run in deep water?
mncrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2009, 07:38 PM   #2
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mncrawler View Post
I was just wondering if this will hurt my motor? If not will it shorten the life? If so what can I do to be able to run in deep water?
Clean water,won't hurt them. Dirty water,is hard on them. After playing in the water or mud,it's best to take everything apart and clean it really well. Water proofing things helps,but it's kinda hard to water proof the motor.

If you run in the water and/or mud allot,it's probably in your best interest to stick with cheapie throw away motors,like stock silver cans or Integy motors.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 07:45 PM   #3

Well I want to be running it in the mud atleast a few times a week. So I really don't want to tear it down for a cleaning twice a week. I guess i'll just stock up on stock motors. They have plenty of torque for what i'm doing.
mncrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 09:54 PM   #4
Who's your Daddy-0!

It good to spray them out with electrical cleaner after running in water/mud. It will clean it out and keep it from building up corrosion.
TattooKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 10:06 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Default What The Hell

Your joking right.:?
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 10:20 PM   #6
Who's your Daddy-0!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando View Post
Your joking right.:?
Who?
TattooKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 10:47 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Default Water with electronics

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooKenny View Post
Who?

The question about motors under water. I'm not the smartest person, but that question makes me feel like I'm on the show " Punked ". I'm just waiting for the camera crew to run out laughing at me for even trying to answer the question.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:32 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
The question about motors under water. I'm not the smartest person, but that question makes me feel like I'm on the show " Punked ". I'm just waiting for the camera crew to run out laughing at me for even trying to answer the question.

better start lookin in the scale section, those guys always have their rigs in water and mud...
ultimate_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 12:52 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Water does not hurt brushed motors. Dirty water is just that, dirty water. It's like running the motor in a dust storm. Clean it out after every water run and you'll be fine. Go to Autozone or the local harware store and get some electrical contact cleaner.

Or, use "motor spray"... which is overpriced electrical contact cleaner.
kmnss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 12:56 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Clean water really is perfectly OK for motors.
People have been "breaking-in" sealed-can motors under water for years, especially slotcar racers.

Many people think that water causes short circuits - it's actually a poor conductor. It's the things dissolved or suspended in water that cause the problems. Salts increase the conductivity causing shorts and leading to corrosion. Solid particles (mud) clog bearings and brushgear, leading to mechanical damage.
clockworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 02:12 AM   #11
RCC Addict

It also depends on how salty the water is. Tap water is pretty fine but wears the brushes and comm quicker, lake water is kinda OK but it also wears the parts quicker than tap water. Dirty muddy water can become the doom of the commutator and the brushes if you run continuously in it without removing the crud that accumulates in betwwen. I would not suggest running any kind of motor in saltwater though.
MadForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 09:06 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Default Thanks for the infromation

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockworks View Post
Clean water really is perfectly OK for motors.
People have been "breaking-in" sealed-can motors under water for years, especially slotcar racers.

Many people think that water causes short circuits - it's actually a poor conductor. It's the things dissolved or suspended in water that cause the problems. Salts increase the conductivity causing shorts and leading to corrosion. Solid particles (mud) clog bearings and brushgear, leading to mechanical damage.

I want to be the first to say " I don't know everthing ". This is one of the reasons I join this forum. I learn something new today, and for that I say thank you guys for the help.
Old 07-11-2009, 07:51 AM   #13
I joined the Band!

Lol.. Newbs ;) Three posts under your thread..I had posted this video...

How I break in my electric Brushed motors..
MEDiC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 11:48 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Really good info Clockworks....thanks for the breakdown.
Dirty Hairball is offline   Reply With Quote