Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: building my first rig

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2009, 12:34 PM   #1

Default building my first rig

my first rig is going to be a clod based 2.2 im making a torsion chassis out of aluminim u channel im going to be running integy 55t lathe motors, a tekin rebel2 esc, venom 3300mah battery, pro line masher2k m3 tires, and traxxas TQ2 radio does any body think this is a good first setup.
customcrawlerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2009, 01:21 PM   #2
K_B
I wanna be Dave

It's mostly going to be a matter of opinion. That looks like the specs from rigs of years past. Nowadays, guys are running 35T motors, Castle's Mamba Max or Sidewinder ESC, lipo batteries, HotBodies Rovers, Panther Cougars or Losi Comp Claws for tires, some sort of dig switch (either mechanical or electronic) and a chassis with some sort of actual suspension.
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 02:22 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I think that this will be a great first crawler for you! I run a 2.2 Clod with a Pimp Cane chassis and it is an awesome setup for terrain that requires very high clearance. Here is my setup:

Here's a video of this thing climbing some ledges:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILsqOvwNhi8

I'd recommend that you get a 3 position switch for that TQ3 and setup either a DUD or PunkRC dig switch and your truck will be extremely competitive. As for the chassis, from what I have seen, the Pimp Cane flexes MUCH better than regular aluminum chassis...
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 02:41 PM   #4

Default first rig

thanks for your input and what wheel adapters do you use to put beadlocks on clod axles

JeremyH how did you atach your chassis to the axles

Last edited by customcrawlerX; 07-13-2009 at 02:43 PM.
Old 07-13-2009, 02:45 PM   #5
K_B
I wanna be Dave

If I'm not mistaken, STOCK clod axles have a 12mm hex, so no adapter is required. But if you use CVDs, that's a different story (see below).

Last edited by K_B; 07-13-2009 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Edited to avoid confusion...
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 02:47 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I use heavily modified Losi Buggy 14mm hexes. The axles have cut down TTR CVDs and the hex pins fit them perfectly. I've also got small C tubes and the knuckles to fit them. Also, those are Mayhem beadlocks with (obviously) 14mm hexes with almost zero offset to help get the track width as narrow as possible.

Also, the Pimp Cane chassis comes with mounting hardware. It uses a modified nylon bolt and nut that fit through the upper link mount. There is also a bracket that fits on the side of the chassis and on top of the gear cases.
http://www.jpcustomrcs.com/PimpCane.html

Last edited by JeremyH; 07-13-2009 at 02:49 PM.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 01:37 PM   #7

Default rig

got my truck today striped down to the axles and are getting the difs locked and im going toget some proline sand paddle tires and mod the tread theyre really stickygoing to be awhile till i get my chassis done cuz i broke my wrist

my truck is an original clod of ebay for 132.75
Old 07-17-2009, 01:45 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Sucks about your wrist. Post some pics! Hope you get it up and going soon
meffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 10:27 PM   #9

Default chassis

I got my chassis finished today the holes i drilled are not all strait for more flex i put my esc and tramsmitter on the chassis its going to be a super class i made the wheel base 18 inches im going to set up rear steer later i used the bullet tray part with all the holes from a cci 22 ammo box to mount my battery on the axle i get some pics up soon and if any body knows of some crawler courses in central PA/mifflincounty it be nice to know
Old 07-25-2009, 12:36 PM   #10

Cool rc crawler

here is what i have done its not the neatest cuz i did it all with one hand the two tires in the bed of the body are mp3 speakers i reversed the tires till i get better tires i have a amplifier in the mp3 so you can hear it far away im going to add more speakers later and trim the body for more clearance

who evar wants pics i will have to give me thier cell phone number my camera is not working i will pic message them to you