Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Help with 1st crawler purchase

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2009, 12:32 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Help with 1st crawler purchase

I am having a hard time deciding what to get. I would ultimatly like to build a Berg rig, but that is a little out of my price range for now. I have narrowed it down to 3 choices.

Axial AX10 Scorpion RTC
AXial AX10 Scorpion Kit or ARTR
Losi Comp Crawler

First off I have no experience with any kind of RC vehicle let alone a crawler. My problems are that I like the Losi, but I have been hearing that it is easy to burn up motors. And from what I can tell the design of the Losi being worm gear drive makes it necessary to have a higher torque motor than the other two rigs above. Around a 17.5 or 21.5t, which those motors are quite a bit more expensive as well as the ESC's and steering servos that go with them. So the price of that is adding up and I haven't even added the cost of the radio yet either. But the cost would be ok if I could be somewhat assured that I won't destory the motor or other electronics because I can only afford this with a bit of extra money I have and will not be able to afford to replace them immediately after my first few uses if I burn them out.

If I go with the Axial kit or ARTR I still have the expense of getting electronics but not nearly at the expese the Losi seems to be. The motors seem to need lest torque and will work with a 45 or 55t, which is considerably cheaper, as well as the ESC and Servos are cheaper as well. The thing that seems to be killing me is the cost of a radio. For a radio that can handle Dig they seem to be expensive unless I am looking at the wrong ones.

But for a beginner who is wanting to build a Berg, should I spend the money on an Axial kit or Losi or just go with the Axial RTC, and learn crawling first then work up to better equip, or is the RTC made cheaply and I will end up replacing everything anyway? I would like a Dig setup as well which the Losi has stock, I would like it right away so that I can learn how to drive with it rather that learn to drive and add something later that forces me to change my driving habits, unless it is not that necessary in the beginning. Also I doubt I will be in any competitions soon but there is a local club that does do comp's on weekends and it would be nice if I were able to run in one once in a while.

Any input is appreciated. Sorry for the long winded post.

Thanks,
Matt

Last edited by mhuffman_81; 07-15-2009 at 12:38 AM.
mhuffman_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-2009, 12:46 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

I thought you had this figured out on RCNT? AX-10 is a really good start for a beginner IMO.
h8z2luze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 01:10 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

search tq3 mod for a cheaper alternative tx/rx-someone sells em completely modded for like $60?

rtc,rtr, or artr-you will most likely replace almost everything

bully 2s($160)? cheaper than bergs. I've read MOA is cheaper in the long run in those shafty vs moa threads.

save up and get what you want, do research in the mean time. or buy a used POS axial for cheap. and only do free/cheap mods while saving up.

if you get a moa, do it right.(4pk-possible cheaper version coming soon?, dual escs, all that)-
barbaricboye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 01:17 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

id say scince you a noob but still seem to know you stuff about electronics id guide you tward the ARTR kit and get a 55t motor and get a nice 3 cell lipo or an 8 cell 2/3a saddle pack to fit on the front axle with about a 14t pinion its an awsome combo i ran that in my comp rig for a long time. welcome to the crawling word!
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 06:35 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklm979 View Post
With this talent you can offhand cripple and use damage poison on the main hand. With shiv it should be more than enough to keep your opponent in range. Remember daze can not be removed by poison cleansing totem or stone form. A much stronger PVP talent than people give it credit for. Cool down reduction talents are useless for arena fights where cool downs are automatically recycled. Not a bad for an open/BG PVP talent but useless everywhere else to get more wow gold.
What kind of Bull Shit is this ?
HDMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 06:47 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

If you want a Berg, buy a set of Berg axles (or better yet RC4wd Bully2's), and put together an MOA. By the time you get through everything that needs modded / upgraded on the Axials, you're not going to be far off from the price of an MOA. If you keep an eye on the For Sale section, you can probably pick up a artr MOA rig for about what you'll have in a building an axial right.

Since you're a beginner, I'd definately avoid the Losi. It just simply isn't a beginner rig. Right off the bat, you need to tear into the axles, and lube them with something like Rocksmith's Gear Jelly. Then motor choice is still up in the air. It's a true, out of the box comp rig. However, it is not a basher at all.
EvilTwin v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 08:08 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilTwin v2 View Post
If you want a Berg, buy a set of Berg axles (or better yet RC4wd Bully2's), and put together an MOA. By the time you get through everything that needs modded / upgraded on the Axials, you're not going to be far off from the price of an MOA. If you keep an eye on the For Sale section, you can probably pick up a artr MOA rig for about what you'll have in a building an axial right.

Since you're a beginner, I'd definately avoid the Losi. It just simply isn't a beginner rig. Right off the bat, you need to tear into the axles, and lube them with something like Rocksmith's Gear Jelly. Then motor choice is still up in the air. It's a true, out of the box comp rig. However, it is not a basher at all.

X2
A berg may be more $ up front but an ax10 (especialy a rtr/rtc) will nickel and dime ya to death in upgrades. Ya can save some up front by getting the kit and upgrading chassis, wheels, shocks as ya go. A dx6 stick radio is a cheaper way to go and offers more control with dual escs. Used isn't a bad way to get started either.
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote