Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Need opinions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2009, 08:46 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Need opinions

I'm sure many of you have seen my multiple posts and questions. Here is my dilemma. I have 2 possible setups:

Axial ARTR or RTC
Tekin FXR 55t combo
Hitec 7995 TG
CCBEC
Probably Futaba 3PM
Upgrade to dig in a couple months

Newage 2.2 Kit or JPCustoms Bully MOA Kit
Integy 45t x2
Tekin FXR
CC BEC
Hitec 645MG
If Newage then Hot Bodies Rovers
Radio unknown
Upgrade either dual ESC or dig in a couple months.

My dilemma is that I can get slightly better electronics with the Axial for the same cost as either MOA setup within $20 not counting radio. But I can deal with a cheaper simple 3 channel 3 pos radio for the axial as I will never have a dual esc setup like on a MOA. I feel that with the MOA I need a better radio to get the benefits of a MOA. However I could get a stick radio for the MOA for about the same price as a pistol for the Axial and get the full funcionality of the MOA.

I also feel that with no experience in RC's or crawlers that I would like to experience a shafty rather than jump straight to a MOA. From what I have heard they seem to be better than shafties but I guess that is opinion I don't really know. I would like to build a 2nd rig in 2-3 years when my son is old enough and he can have this 1st build.

So axial or MOA?

Stick or pistol?

Is a MOA still a good rig without a fancy radio and dual esc's, and essentially the same dig setup that the axial would have?

What benefits does a MOA have unless I'm going to run dual esc's?

Should i go with a MOA and the same radio I would get for the Axial and upgrade later when I upgrade the servo, motors, and add dual esc or dig?

Thanks I'm very confused and frustrated. This is a lot of money and I want to make sure I get something that I will enjoy and be able to look forward to upgrading over time. Who knows maybe I can keep this build for myself and just keep upgrading it and buy my son a ready to run type when he's old enough.

Last edited by mhuffman_81; 07-17-2009 at 08:58 PM.
mhuffman_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2009, 09:30 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

I run a fancy radio with one esc and a punkrc dig unit on a moa. a 645mg isn't going to be enough for steering except on flat ground...

For an moa electronics.
3 or 4 channel tx/rx with a 3 postion(more is fine) 3rd channel
Bec or receiver pack...bec is smaller and you only have to worry about one battery pack
esc-fxr, mmax, etc
dig-punkrc or servo and switches
motors- 45t's with 13/12t pinions work fine on 3s
Battery- 20-30c 3s lipo
Steering servo- 7955tg/cs-170/ds8711/8711hvt...
wire-14-16ga
Failedabortion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 09:37 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

cool thanks for the info
Old 07-17-2009, 10:13 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhuffman_81 View Post
I'm sure many of you have seen my multiple posts and questions. Here is my dilemma. I have 2 possible setups:

Axial ARTR or RTC
Tekin FXR 55t combo
Hitec 7995 TG
CCBEC
Probably Futaba 3PM
Upgrade to dig in a couple months

Newage 2.2 Kit or JPCustoms Bully MOA Kit
Integy 45t x2
Tekin FXR
CC BEC
Hitec 645MG
If Newage then Hot Bodies Rovers
Radio unknown
Upgrade either dual ESC or dig in a couple months.

I kind of understand all the Hem'n and haw'n but ya need to do some research.

My dilemma is that I can get slightly better electronics with the Axial for the same cost as either MOA setup within $20 not counting radio.

The only difference is the extra motor since ya aren't taking dig on the axial.

But I can deal with a cheaper simple 3 channel 3 pos radio for the axial as I will never have a dual esc setup like on a MOA.

There really aren't any cheaper simple 3 channel 3 pos radio that actually will run dig/freewheel/4wd.

I feel that with the MOA I need a better radio to get the benefits of a MOA.

Not really because a moa dig switch will allow both front and rear dig on a moa. Plus it is electroic so all the mecanical binding and freewheeling of a shafty is gone.

However I could get a stick radio for the MOA for about the same price as a pistol for the Axial and get the full funcionality of the MOA.

Then just run duals with no need for a dig switch

I also feel that with no experience in RC's or crawlers that I would like to experience a shafty rather than jump straight to a MOA.

No reason for that

From what I have heard they seem to be better than shafties but I guess that is opinion I don't really know. I would like to build a 2nd rig in 2-3 years when my son is old enough and he can have this 1st build.

You could be very happy learning to drive a kit berg for acouple years and then move up to a comp rig and pass the kit down.

So axial or MOA?

MOA

Stick or pistol?

Stick

Is a MOA still a good rig without a fancy radio and dual esc's,

Yes!

and essentially the same dig setup that the axial would have?

Again the axial only has rear dig (if you add it).

What benefits does a MOA have unless I'm going to run dual esc's?

Front and rear dig plus lower center of gravity and no torque twist.

Should i go with a MOA and the same radio I would get for the Axial and upgrade later when I upgrade the servo, motors, and add dual esc or dig?

Don't skimp on the radio.

Here is a good option on a budget with the kit.
Berg kit 300
fxr 45t combo X2 200
CCbec 25
Hobbico cs170 steering servo 90
Rover tires 40
Bug Crawler Body 25
Hyperion g3 1100 mah 3s 11.1v 35c/65c lipoly battery 30
Hyperion eos0403i charger 70
Dx6i 200
Total 980

Ya could save alittle with a sidewinder esc, integy 45ts and punk dig but not enough for the control loss imho. Ya will need some miss stuff but an axial with dig and upgrades won't touch the above and will cost about the same. For another 100-200 bucks of shocks/chassis/lockouts you are done.

Thanks I'm very confused and frustrated. This is a lot of money and I want to make sure I get something that I will enjoy and be able to look forward to upgrading over time. Who knows maybe I can keep this build for myself and just keep upgrading it and buy my son a ready to run type when he's old enough.
Just go buy it, ya know ya want to
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 12:06 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for your input that was very useful. Now your the second person to quote $100 for thr fxr 45t combo, where at? The cheapest I can find is for $115 at omnimodels.com
Old 07-18-2009, 12:29 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Towerhobbies has it for 123 minus $10 with this code 011FFA. If you are gonna spend more pm me your email for more discount codes
SACCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 08:35 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhuffman_81 View Post
Thanks for your input that was very useful. Now your the second person to quote $100 for thr fxr 45t combo, where at? The cheapest I can find is for $115 at omnimodels.com

Try stormer hobbies
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote