Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Which of these would be the best rig for me?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2009, 01:43 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Which of these would be the best rig for me?

I am currently in the process of deciding what to get for my very first crawler rig. I am wanting to build a fun hobby based rig (not really into the whole competitions thing). I have absolutely NO experience with RC offroad stuff at all. With alot of research as well as using the search function on this site, I think I have narrowed it down to 2 possible directions I could go that I think would give me the result I am after(always open to other suggestions though). Also, budget is a concern. I really don't want to spend more than $600.

First possible set up: Tamiya Land Rover CR-01 kit
http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=58405

Second possible set up: RC4WD Trail Finder chassis w/F350 body
http://www.rc4wdstore.com/2/product_...roducts_id=826

What do you think I should go with? I don't need a competition grade rig, but I would like a rig that is capable enough to have alot of fun with.

Last edited by BadRockNoCookie; 07-22-2009 at 01:48 PM.
BadRockNoCookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2009, 01:53 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

I would go with the Trail Finder. It is a proprietary RC, so replacement parts will have to be purchased through RC4WD...your local hobby shop likely wont have them.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 02:07 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

If it were me I would get an Axial SCX10 kit, the body of your choice a simple 2 channel radio ( a stock MRC 2.4 ghz system could be had pretty cheap on Ebay ) a 5645 hitec servo, and a 35-55t motor ( would just go with an integy on a scaler ) and if you just plan on running NiMh batteries just get a basic ecs. That will get you going in the right direction without spending a ton of cash. If you can afford to spend a little more I would get a Tekin FXR esc motor combo so you can have a drag break, and lipo cut off for when you decide to make the switch. Welcome to the site and the hobby.
bigflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 02:18 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I just priced up everything on TCS and it would be 501.96 for the truck kit, a different body, a 5645 servo, a tekin esc 45t motor combo, and a Tactic 2 channel 2.4Ghz radio system. Not bad if you ask me. You could go cheaper and get a hitec radio for a $37 savings, and get a novak xrs esc and integy 45t motor and save yourself another $42.01. So for $422.95 it would be complete with lesser quality electronics.
bigflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 02:20 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Looks like you're more interested in a scaler type truck, so I would have to agree with BigFlex and suggest the Axial SCX10, I'm building one myself right now and they're great little trucks. I've driven one that a friend build and they crawl nearly as well as a stock Axial type comp rig but they look scale doing it. Plus building the kit is really fun IMO.

I think you could easily get one up and running with basic electronics for your budget.
BigB_117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 03:21 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Thanks Guys, yeah I agree that the Axial SCX10 does look like it will suit my needs. I think I am going to go for that with an F350 body. Just one more question, Do you guys know if this SCX10 comes with locked diffs or not?

Last edited by BadRockNoCookie; 07-22-2009 at 03:48 PM.
Old 07-22-2009, 04:00 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I havn't been able to find out if it has locking diffs, but I wanted to recommend that you use the tower hobbies website. I like to look info up there because they seem so list more specs on any item than any other website. Go to http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXWDJ7&P=7 for the listing for the SCX10, scroll down for the detailed specs, just go over to the top left tab "Shop Radio Control" and pick your category. They just seem to have the best listing of specs IMO, but they don't carry every brand, but it's a good resource.
mhuffman_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 04:04 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadRockNoCookie View Post
Thanks Guys, yeah I agree that the Axial SCX10 does look like it will suit my needs. I think I am going to go for that with an F350 body. Just one more question, Do you guys know if this SCX10 comes with locked diffs or not?
Yes it's locked front and rear.

The F350 body should work well, I've seen a few used on the SCX10 chassis.
Old 07-22-2009, 04:19 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Big B is right, it is locked front and rear. I would suggest if you use the stick pack batteries that you flip the carriage that comes with the SCX10 to the front instead of the traditional rear mount. It will give you better front weight so you don't flip over on steep inclines. I've seen some guys flip the carriage to the front and the electronics box to the rear mounted upside down which gives it the appearance of a gas tank.........my 2 cents.
Dirty Hairball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 04:27 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigflex View Post
I just priced up everything on TCS and it would be 501.96 for the truck kit, a different body, a 5645 servo, a tekin esc 45t motor combo, and a Tactic 2 channel 2.4Ghz radio system. Not bad if you ask me. You could go cheaper and get a hitec radio for a $37 savings, and get a novak xrs esc and integy 45t motor and save yourself another $42.01. So for $422.95 it would be complete with lesser quality electronics.

x2 with Bigflex. Nice research

That's what I call good help.
Benzbuildr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 07:00 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhuffman_81 View Post
I havn't been able to find out if it has locking diffs, but I wanted to recommend that you use the tower hobbies website. I like to look info up there because they seem so list more specs on any item than any other website. Go to http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXWDJ7&P=7 for the listing for the SCX10, scroll down for the detailed specs, just go over to the top left tab "Shop Radio Control" and pick your category. They just seem to have the best listing of specs IMO, but they don't carry every brand, but it's a good resource.
I would check specs on the manufacturer's site (Tower has been occasionally incorrect).
papaweely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 07:01 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Hairball View Post
Big B is right, it is locked front and rear. I would suggest if you use the stick pack batteries that you flip the carriage that comes with the SCX10 to the front instead of the traditional rear mount. It will give you better front weight so you don't flip over on steep inclines. I've seen some guys flip the carriage to the front and the electronics box to the rear mounted upside down which gives it the appearance of a gas tank.........my 2 cents.
Is this a custom mod or straight assembly option?
papaweely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 10:51 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzbuildr View Post
x2 with Bigflex. Nice research

That's what I call good help.
And I appreciate it so much. I am learning alot so far, but it's always nice to have some veterans to this stuff help me out.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:05 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by papaweely View Post
Is this a custom mod or straight assembly option?
Putting the battery up front is an option in the manual. Moving the reciever box to the rear is just a matter of moving a couple parts around and using different screw holes.