Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: What do I up grade to?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2009, 05:32 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default What do I up grade to?

I am pretty new to the RC Crawler thing but not new to rock crawling. I bought a cheep crawler from a friend of mine and love the sport now. My question is where do I go from here? I think my current rig is under powered and is limited with no options to upgrade any thing.

this is what I have now
[IMG]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Spencer/Desktop/s10.jpeg[/IMG]
http://www.redcatracing.com/RC-Cars/...4Pa38Ta38Qa3v0

and these are what i am considering switching to.
[IMG]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Spencer/Desktop/ax10.jpg[/IMG]
http://www.ckrccrawlers.com/shop/ind...oducts_id=1929

or maybe something bigger[IMG]file:
///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Spencer/Desktop/super.jpg[/IMG]

http://www.ckrccrawlers.com/shop/ind...oducts_id=1533

I am not really sure I am ready to compete just bash around in my back yard and the local rocks.
thanks for any new ideas or options

newtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2009, 05:55 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

If I were you i would pick up an ax10 *kit* I found having the ability to pick your electronics helps alot.

But I would definitely stay away from the integy crawler, their parts aren't as good in terms of performance as others.

But honestly, It really depends on your budget if you can afford it I would say go for a ax10 kit but if not the rtc is probably your best bet!
Col. Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:17 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

x2 on the ax10 and ingenty..might want to look at the losi crawler as well.

Keep your red cat just for fun in the snow...
squatch71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:25 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I have heard very well of the losi truck but cannot recommend it from personal experience. I have looked at one in person without electronics and have to say I was really impressed!
Col. Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 01:15 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

AX10 for sure. sky's the limit on aftermarket parts.. But if youre liking into building from scratch, I will recommend it..Get a very capable chassis and start from there. From electronics down to your links. At the end, you might end up using some of your redcat crawler parts and save money..

Getting a kit or artr is always expensive and as usual, you will not be using most of its parts since youll end up upgrading it.
CHRIZAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 07:51 AM   #6
RCC Addict

I'm definitely curious...you say the RS10 is underpowered, but you're considering getting an entry level axial? This guy makes a great point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRIZAD View Post
Getting a kit or artr is always expensive and as usual, you will not be using most of its parts since youll end up upgrading it.
I'm not gonna try to turn this into an argument over which rig is better or anything like that...I'm challenging folks that have these to actually give them a chance because I'm sure 90% of the people saying they're junk, I would almost guarantee have never messed with them or even seen them in person. Plenty of people say the redcat rig has virtually no options for upgrading it, but the sky's the limit with axial. I made a post just Wednesday about my RS10 and I have the thing pretty upgraded and have barely touched the electronics yet.

Redcat RS10 revisited

There's the link to the thread for anyone curious. I agree with newtoy about the redcat being underpowered stock, but most electronics should be compatible with it. The only thing I've noticed being hard to find, and I've mentioned it in other threads, is motors. There are motors out there for these things, you just have to look. So if you're not really limited in electronics and you can see I've not been limited in non-electronic parts, how can this be considered "no upgrade options"? I could easily get mine down to only RS10 axles left simply by upgrading the rest of my electronics and buying different wheels. If you're not crafty enough to make your own chassis or links, there are aftermarket MOA chassis and aftermarket links that will work for them.

Now don't get me wrong, I didn't mean for this to come off as a bash axial post. They're nice crawlers, but personally I would rather save money by upgrading a cheaper crawler that crawls nicely than spend $239 on a NON upgraded axial and not be happy with it in it's stock form either. That last sentence will most likely provoke the "you get what you pay for" argument. I know my crawler isn't the nicest thing out, but it crawls pretty well for only spending roughly $300 on the entire thing. End rant haha.

Last edited by jsowens; 10-09-2009 at 07:55 AM.
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 09:56 AM   #7

i have a completely stock AX10 artr and love it it has good power and really if your just going to back yard bash you wouldn't need to change much if anything to have fun there really durable and handle a ton of abuse of course you will end up probably upgrading for fun but with the AX10 you could have fun and upgrade as you have the money
Brian.Vanbeekum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 10:19 AM   #8
TEAM MODERATOR

Axial is definitely a great way to enter into RC Crawling....one of the best IMHO.

One option I like is a kit RCP crawlers has. Lets you start out with a good set up and choose your electronics.

RCP Bastard Jr. Chassis Combo
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 02:41 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

i bought the ax10 scorpion kit as my first rig mainly because i wanted to put it together and to have a better understanding of how it all came together,if you have the cash get the artr and your own electronics,but if cash is a problem then its gonna be a long road,upgrading is endless no matter what you buy.anything rtr is gonna have lower grade stuff on it to make up for the not so hot electronics that make it rtr.just my 2 cents so good luck with whatever you buy and have fun with it welcome aboard!!!!
bigheadandmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 04:45 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

i went with the rtr ax10, then upgraded parts as dictated by performance. worked good for me because icould run right away, and had a good base to start with. Its also easier to squeeze a $20 motor, or a $30 link kit by the wife! lol
Pointman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 04:50 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Beadlock wheels......
Mayhem Eng. is offline   Reply With Quote