Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Losi OR Bully?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2009, 11:19 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Losi OR Bully?

So I have been in the crawler deal for a while now but just recently sold all of my rigs and took a break from the addiction. That lasted all of about a month, Im looking for some advice on witch ARTR to go with The RC4WD Bully looks really good but i know that they have had problems with their stub axles, and I really like the losi but i know that i would have to do the MOA conversion to be happy with it. Bergs are awesome but I really don't want to be $600 deep in just a chassis wheels and tires. So really I'm just looking to hear what people think about the first two rigs so i can make an educated decision on where to throw my money. Thanks in advance.
Laker67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2009, 05:47 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

i personally would go with the bully axles then get what ever else you want i herd good things about them and since you said you would want to do the moa if you get the losi why not just skip the step and get the axles and go from there
dblrnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 06:37 PM   #3
K_B
I wanna be Dave

The bully axles are nice. The Losi has a better chassis, better shocks, better link geometry and better tires. If you're gonna do the MOA on the Losi, you can sell off the tranny and driveshafts to offset the costs of the MOA kit. The cost of the Losi roller plus the MOA kit is barely more money than the bully rig; sell off the tranny and you're back under the $350 it costs for the bully kit...
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 07:50 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_B View Post
The bully axles are nice. The Losi has a better chassis, better shocks, better link geometry and better tires. If you're gonna do the MOA on the Losi, you can sell off the tranny and driveshafts to offset the costs of the MOA kit. The cost of the Losi roller plus the MOA kit is barely more money than the bully rig; sell off the tranny and you're back under the $350 it costs for the bully kit...

Have you run a Bully kit?
Racer4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 07:56 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

bullys nuff said.
JEFF THE JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:07 PM   #6
RCC Addict

JP customs has ARTR bullys under 400.00. Nicer shocks and nicers chassis. Best lower links on the market.
Flyin Hawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:57 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Whats wrong with the chassis or tires, X-locks are beast and claws are old, the bully chassis is designed to accommodate moa's and the link geometry is fine. The moa conversion for the losi is fine, but why not just buy an axle that comes as moa. The price for a bully versus a losi moa is not really that much different. Who said you had to run the bully artr anyways? I bought the axles and a kamikaze chassis and panthers and spent about as much as a losi moa roller would be.

In my opinion go for the bully, I have seen 2 guys break front axles that were "upgrades" in one 4 hour period, and both werent dogging them either. The bully is a full metal axle with the new axle shafts the bully is unbreakable.

/end rant
nismotuningrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:05 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I think the bully kit is the best bang for the buck and best bang on performance...V4 axle shafts are not an issue so your one real con on the bully axles is not really even valid.

also the bully chassis is a great MOA chassis the tapered/narrowed chassis is a really nice feature.
53 willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 11:29 AM   #9
K_B
I wanna be Dave

I have driven a Bully rig before and I've driven a Diablow. Let's remember that it's all a matter of opinion. And in my opinion, the Losi is the better deal. The chassis is a refined copy of the GC-2 which is a very good chassis. The axles have better clearance. Throw on some Rovers and it's even better. And my LHS has a full assortment of parts. And even though they also carry RC4WD, they don't sell enough to justify carrying spare parts. So if I break an RC4WD part, it's 4 days waiting for parts assuming they ship 'em out the same day I order...
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 11:40 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

I haven't driven either one of these trucks, I have just looked on the forum and seen what people have done with the ones that they have. My last rig was a comp set up HR Axled truck and I had consistant problems with the gears binding up on the inside. One of the guys that crawls around here said that the bully axles werent any better than the HR axles as far as reliablility goes. So that was a concern, thats the biggest reason for selling off my old truck. I really like the parts list that the Losi comes with, and i haven't really seen a Bully up close only what i have seen on here and other sites but it look like a solid rig. Im leaning towards the bully, but i know that my LHS keeps parts in stock for the losi. Maybe I should flip a coin.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:56 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
The bully axles are nice. The Losi has a better chassis, better shocks, better link geometry and better tires....the $350 it costs for the bully kit...
No need to buy the Bully kit....the complete axle set (no hop-ups needed) is only $160. The only things your need are chassis and links and you're right at the same setup as the Losi (ARTR). I built my Bully to ARTR status for:
$160 - Axles
$65 - Beetlejuice Chassis (actually, I won this so it was free, but we'll include the cost to be fair)
$25 - KK Links

With either setup (Losi MOA or Bully), you'll need to add motors and electronics...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker67 View Post
One of the guys that crawls around here said that the bully axles werent any better than the HR axles as far as reliablility goes.
Which version of the Bully axles was he running?

Last edited by JeremyH; 08-06-2009 at 12:00 PM.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 01:27 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

I don't know what versions he was running, he is supposedly sponsored by RC4WD so i could only assume it would be the newest. But i could be wrong.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:42 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Yeah, it's be best to fogure out which version he had. Most of the problems that the older versions of the Bully has had were with the CVDs....just like the Losi. There are stronger axle shafts for both crawlers...
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 02:46 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker67 View Post
I don't know what versions he was running, he is supposedly sponsored by RC4WD so i could only assume it would be the newest. But i could be wrong.
hey bud I'm in lehi and i'm a RC4WD team driver I have both B2 axles and B1's...I have never broke an axle shaft on any of my bully axles...I did bend V-1-V-3 axles...but my V4's are holding up very very well.

if you wanna see my rig in person just let me know...I will be at the next 801rcc comp with both my rigs(B1 rig and B2) if you wanna check them out and take them for a crawl...my bother in law has a ARTR bully kit and it's great......make a couple small tweaks(lower it and add weight to the front wheels) so it drives the way you like and then run the hell out of it!!
I have never driven a LCC so I cant comment on it...but as far as ARTR kits go it's REALLY hard to beat the bully kit IMHO
Old 08-06-2009, 02:49 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

It really isn't much more to build a berg Ya know ya want one.
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 02:53 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

BTW HR axles are about the worst choice on MOA axle imho...they cost a small fortune to build them up to where you can even run them.
Bully FTW
Old 08-06-2009, 05:26 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

Yeah the HR axles were a bad choice. I was almost 300 Deep just to put the axles together. I Just didn't want to build a berg because i wanted something different, and the i didn't really even think to do the bully's til it was to late. I think that i'm going to do the bully's, How are the shocks that they come with? Those are the only things that dont look that appealing to me. But as the hobby goes at some point is always gets changed.