Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: best for creek rock crawling?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2009, 12:00 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default best for creek rock crawling?

live amoung many creeks and want to build a good solid creek rock crawler. have a lot of large rocks also but mainly loose creek rock and would have to waterproof. considering getting into rock crawling and eventually even competition so was looking at the losi cc. should i stay on that path or look into more of a clod or something else?
neuro242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-2009, 12:15 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

being as you are going to run it in and around a creek, I would stay away from anything that sits low to the ground.

waterproofing your electronics is great, but constantly running your rig through a creek could lead to rust issues.

The CC (comp crawler) is a good rig, But you may be better suited going with an axial (holy shit, did I just recomend an axial... wtf is this world coming to)

The axial is going to have more ground clearance, which you want if you are going to be scuba diving with your crawler. Also, the parts are going to be more available as the CC just came out
soundcolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 03:00 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

What's the news on the AX10 Scorpion RTC (AX90011)? Almost 1/2 the price of doing a build or the Losi CC. It looks like it needs a lot of upgrades, and it doesnt have dig, but how is the quality if your not competing?
Old 08-16-2009, 05:10 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

yes, it needs some things to be comp worthy...
And it will need a few things to be able to really kill it on the rocks, but its decent out of the box
soundcolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 05:14 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuro242 View Post
What's the news on the AX10 Scorpion RTC (AX90011)? Almost 1/2 the price of doing a build or the Losi CC. It looks like it needs a lot of upgrades, and it doesnt have dig, but how is the quality if your not competing?
For the price it will get you on the rocks playing. You will want to upgrade a lot eventually but out of the box you should have a good time and learn a bit. Depending on how tough of a course you run you may not need to upgrade much for a while.
benzy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 05:44 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Default Try This

Well if I go off of you saying there are large rocks around your creek I would go with a Super Class Rig. Maybe their large rocks, but with define lines that make it possible to crawl with a 2.2 cralwer. If that is the case I would go with a AX10 ARTR so that you could build it up for whatever you want to do in the near future. 2.2 Crawler are the best if you ask me, and the AX10 is Newbie friendly.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 07:02 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

the axial rtc is great. i use it as my comp rig and i love it. (i did upgrade a few things)
BSTcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 08:01 PM   #8
RCC Addict

The pastic links on it do indeed slide better than the aluminum links on the kit and artr. that is until you get delrin ones
gottorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 10:48 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

How are their electronics on the RTC? How well do these dig mods for this work since it's not premade for dig? also, how easy to remove the battery mount from top and relocate lower like on kit models? i was about ready to go Losi CC then it started adding up and read to much about all the issues it's still having so i think it's out. I'm also looking at the SCX10 for the additional ground clearance in the creeks but havnt found how much articulation they have. i know its a lot less though. thanks for all the feedback so far and any additional info appreciated. just looking for something to learn with and build off of later, but that wont break constantly while im learning :-)

Last edited by neuro242; 08-16-2009 at 11:17 PM.