Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: First Crawler: Clod vs AX10 (quick please, ebay auction)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2009, 11:32 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default First Crawler: Clod vs AX10 (quick please, ebay auction)

So, I really want to get into crawling, and I would aslmost defniately select ax10 id I had nothing, BUT, I already own the clod axles. I bought the original clod a long time ago, and it has pretty much sat in my closet for the past 5+ years. My savage has been my main money pit :P .

I found an AX10 on ebay (ends soon) for $280 BIN, here is part of the description

Quote:
I have added alot of upgrades. Bent links, Steel lockers Front/Middle/Rear, Tekin Rock crawler combo w/55t motor and programable ESC, High Torque Traxxas Servo, 2 Saddle Pack Batteries included w/ deans connectors, TCS Edge Tube Chassis with homemade panels covered in Desert Cami material, Memory Foam insert in the Beadlocker wheels. Weights in the wheels also. Shocks in a droop Configuration. 125oz Hi Torque Servo in the front. I will also include what ever extra parts I have for in to include extra 55t Intengy motor, Extra Hi Torque Driveshaft etc.
I don't know if it is worht the price, or if teh tuber chassis is good.

SHould I buy it, or should I try to make a crawler out of my clod?

I don't want to sink money into this project like I did on my BL savage conversion (before flux came out if you are wondering)

I am willing to spend just about $300, maybe 350. (includign shipping) on top of stuff I already own, which is:

1) Clod axles
2) ALL the best servo's: JR DS8711, Airtronics 94780M, and (on preorder) Hitec 7950TH. All of these are 400oz/in+ servos
3) CC BEC
4) Mamba Max ESC (may be a good esc for crawling, but i dunno) (i'd rather not use this so that I don't have to swap out of my rc10b4)
5) Proline 40 series MOAB on axial beadlocks (CA glued on, so I can use it with my savage, lol)
6) Kershaw crawler motor (prolly not ideal, maybe too slow? Is that possible? (It get's 6600rpm on 14.4v, or 3300rpm on 7.2v)
7) Chargers / Stick packs (ax10 includes the saddle packs)
Nomadio Sensor radio with 4 channels, and all the mixability neccesary.
EDIT that shouldn't be a smiley, it shuld read '8' and ')', but it auto makes it into a smiley

I am not new to RC, jsut to crawling.

Should I hit the button on the ax10, or build up the clod?
Spiftacu1ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2009, 11:59 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Both.
Crimson Feight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 12:05 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Are you looking to build a super or a 2.2 crawler? If the former, then build the clod....if the latter, then buy the Axial.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 01:05 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Honestly, I am really new to the scene, and I am not sure which I want (2.2 or super). I guess I want whichever one will be more fun for someone with no experience with crawlers. I also don't want a money pit, lol. I know crawlers can get expensive, and I know I can put money into both, but the question is, is it viable to turn the clod into a legit crawler for under $300? If it is possible, will it be as good as the ax10 i'm looking at. I kno that's clod can be realyl good, but I also know you can easily drop a few thousand dollars on a good clod build. Is it possible to make a decent clod build on only $300? Or Is the AX10 a better choice for soemone with my budget?

I REALLY like the looks of the rc4wd copperhead, but have read some pretty bad reviews about them.

BTW: i know this post was really repetative, I was just typing my thoughts.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:37 PM   #5
K_B
I wanna be Dave

Do you plan on competing? If so, make sure that the local club actually runs a Super Class... The 2.2 class is by far the more popular class.
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 01:43 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Im a clod fan myself, but it sounds like the AX-10 will be your best bet. Out of the box they run anywhere between $240-$330 (roughly of course) depending on if you get the ARTR or the RTR model. And plus the AX-10 has some goodies on it already so you`ll be ahead of the game there. I say build up both but have your clod as your long term type of project....just work on that slowly. Both are certainly great trucks to start off with! Just my opinion though........Good luck buddy! Let us know what you went with.
ToTheMAXXcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 01:44 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Keep the super's alive!!!
Flyin Hawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 01:47 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheMAXXcrawler View Post
Im a clod fan myself, but it sounds like the AX-10 will be your best bet. Out of the box they run anywhere between $240-$330 (roughly of course) depending on if you get the ARTR or the RTR model. And plus the AX-10 has some goodies on it already so you`ll be ahead of the game there. I say build up both but have your clod as your long term type of project....just work on that slowly. Both are certainly great trucks to start off with! Just my opinion though........Good luck buddy! Let us know what you went with.
I really like your idea actually. If you saw my first post, i am not buying a NIB AX10, I am buying a used one, with upgrades already. REad the quote on my first post, which shows what it has. Should I buy that, or should I go with the NIB kit (I don't want the stock electrics). Either way, I like the idea og gettting the axial now, and building the clod up over time. I guess that is what I will do. THANKS. Now, do i buy new, or the ebay auction?

NOTE: I have tower super savers, so I can pick up any version of the axial for $225 shipped or less (depending in the version).

Also, no, I will not be competing. There is nowhere nearby to do so. just nearby my home. There is a creek nearby which could be a lot of fun.

BTW: Thanks for everyones input. Appreciate it, especially cuz its coming fsat enought that I can still get the ebay item.

Last edited by Spiftacu1ar; 08-26-2009 at 01:52 PM.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:59 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Im partial to super class myself. If your not going to compete and you have all the stuff you already listed, build yourself a kick butt super class truck. Then if you decide on a 2.2 comp truck, buy the stuff and build an MOA (Berg/Bully) truck versus starting with a DS truck. Thats my 2 cents but heck, what do I know.
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 02:16 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Well, i rather like ToTheMAXXcrawler's idea, of buying the ax10 now, and building a super class as a logn term porject. Please realize, that with me, long term means this school year to get it working, and anotehr few years dumping money in it, lol.

The reason i like his idea is that I DON'T KNOW how much I will like crawling yet. It seems to be really cool, and definately has some of teh coolest looking rc's, but I don't know if I will enjoy it. Up until now, I have only had speed demons (relatively, my savage hits 55, but its no onroad). You all love crawling, but not everyone does, so I have to try it out before I decide to dump money in it. I don't want to make a really poor super class. If i get the axial, and like it, I will dump money into the clod over then next few years.

Now my quesiton boils down to, which axial to get. I like the Ebay one, but I don't knwo if that tuber cage he has is any good. Its the TCS edge, which is only $40... I don't need it to be better than stock, just as good as. It certainly looks cooler, but I am really looking at the ebay one for toehr things, like the FXR combo, MIP shafts, and saddle pack batteries. At $280, is it a good buy?

EDIT: Also, I don't have much time this summer to build up a super because of work, which I need to fund the project :P. That is another reason I like maxxcrawlers idea.

Last edited by Spiftacu1ar; 08-26-2009 at 02:23 PM.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:55 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Super
hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 04:48 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Just to add to this post, i was (and still am) a speed demon like youself Spiftacu1ar and hey its cool if you just want to buy the one from ebay (i still think its a better choice because once again your ahead of the game when it comes to the upgrades) and try the world of crawling out. Its not for everyone, me personally i like it because its different. Yes its a slower pace but then again you can gwt the ax-10 and gear it how you want - if you want to go faster buy a taller gear and if you want to go crawling - have a crawler gear set up thats all. You just getting to the tip of the ice berg when it comes to your options. Good luck buddy
Old 08-26-2009, 04:57 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Thanks guys, I appreciate your help. I'm going to hit BIN in a few mins here

EDIT: I BOUGHT IT
I hit BIN a couple mins ago. I did not post a link to the auction erlier b/c i didn't know the rules as far as posting links to items on sales. I know many forums don;t like it, as it is "advertising". Now that I have hit BIN, and payed for it:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...371139086#shId

^^That's what i got. I am excited :P. Used the slower UPS shipping option cuz its half the price ($25 vs $45). Means I have to wait a few more days though :(

Last edited by Spiftacu1ar; 08-26-2009 at 05:06 PM.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:05 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Nice buy my friend! Love the AX-10s with the tube chassis lol Too bad it didnt come with the reciever but hey dont sweat that if you got one already then its still a great deal, but if you dont have one i highly recommend a Traxxas TQ3 or a TQ2...both are dirt cheap on ebay!! Im sure you`ll love crawling lol
Old 08-26-2009, 07:14 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Buy the Clod! Its been 5 years since you started this project. Its that time to finish what you started. Buy the Clod!
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 07:35 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheMAXXcrawler View Post
Nice buy my friend! Love the AX-10s with the tube chassis lol Too bad it didnt come with the reciever but hey dont sweat that if you got one already then its still a great deal, but if you dont have one i highly recommend a Traxxas TQ3 or a TQ2...both are dirt cheap on ebay!! Im sure you`ll love crawling lol
Well, I planned to ditch all the electronics except the ESC and motor anyways. I had messaged him about that, but he didn't want to part it.

I will be replacing the servo with either a JR DS8711, or an airtronics 94780M (I have em both, 400oz/in+)

I will be adding a Nomadio V2 reciever to it (I own the Nomadio Sensor, not react).
The nomadio is more than capable for almost any land based vehicle, with 4 channels, and full PC programablility.

About the CLOD, I will probably build it up this coming school year. I will let you guys know how that goes, and provide updates (in anotehr thread of course)
Also, I didn't buy it for a project, I didn't know anything about crawlers when I bought it, lol. It was another impulse buy becasue it looked cool, lol. I didn't do my research when I bought that.

Last edited by Spiftacu1ar; 08-26-2009 at 07:37 PM.
Old 08-27-2009, 01:10 PM   #17

axial
wagoner79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 01:17 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Made a thread in the clod section about my plans for the clold project this coming year

Also, the axial shuld arrive next thursday, can't wait!!!
Old 08-27-2009, 01:25 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Sweet man glad to hear that! Congrats again on the buy Let us know how you like it when you get the chance! Im in the market possibly for a AX10