Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Ideal weight distribution?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2009, 04:15 PM   #1

Default Ideal weight distribution?

I just picked up a crawler this week, Axial RTR version. The first thing I did to it was move the battery to the front, but now im having trouble making really steep crawls...for example it wont crawl up my wall anymore. The rear end will go up with no problems. So what would be an ideal weight distribution front and rear so I get max grip for steep inclines and good dig in the front?

thanks!
Azngtboi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2009, 04:57 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Hmmmmm.
I dont understand why just moving the battery to the front would all the sudden render you unable to climb up a wall... unless your floor are slick (not carpet) If they are some sort of hard, slick solid surface floors then the problem is not with the weight being forward, its with your tires. (not enough traction without the extra weight).

Ideally you want roughly 60-40 or or more front rear distribution.

I know when I got my G8 Flat Irons they had trouble on super slick surfaces (little simple green fixed it right up).
I loosened the slipper clutch a little and it seemed to fix the problem.

So, first I would say loosen the slipper maybe 1/2 to 1 turn, and then hose your tires down with simple green to remove any casting residue that may be left on them.
That should get you taken care of.
soundcolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 05:02 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Default Try This

I run 7.5 oz in each front and 5 oz out back in each rear wheel. That weight works for me. My rig use to lean backwards when climbing step hills before I added the weight. Just get weight up front and that will help.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 09:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundcolor View Post
Hmmmmm.
I dont understand why just moving the battery to the front would all the sudden render you unable to climb up a wall... unless your floor are slick (not carpet) If they are some sort of hard, slick solid surface floors then the problem is not with the weight being forward, its with your tires. (not enough traction without the extra weight).

Ideally you want roughly 60-40 or or more front rear distribution.

I know when I got my G8 Flat Irons they had trouble on super slick surfaces (little simple green fixed it right up).
I loosened the slipper clutch a little and it seemed to fix the problem.

So, first I would say loosen the slipper maybe 1/2 to 1 turn, and then hose your tires down with simple green to remove any casting residue that may be left on them.
That should get you taken care of.
Your totally right about the the lost traction thing, but it didnt happen till after I moved the battery. So the extra weight plus the not grippy enough tires added up to not being able to climb the wall. Im ordering some new tires to fix that problem right now. I just made this thread to see what the ideal weight distribution was. Thanks for the help! 60-40 it is!
Old 08-30-2009, 10:49 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Can't go wrong with the HB Rovers. One of the best upgrades I made to my truck, that started out as an RTR.
RustlerHustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 11:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustlerHustler View Post
Can't go wrong with the HB Rovers. One of the best upgrades I made to my truck, that started out as an RTR.
Yea a lot of members have been telling me to get those. I should be ordering the soft compound some time this week!
Old 08-30-2009, 11:52 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I was running the softs all around. Switched to the softs in front, meds in rear and added proline two stage foam, works really well for me.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustlerHustler View Post
I was running the softs all around. Switched to the softs in front, meds in rear and added proline two stage foam, works really well for me.
thanks for the tip! what would be the advantage of running med in the rear?
Old 08-31-2009, 05:44 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

For me it gave it more support when trying to go over an obstacle with the nose of the truck pointing up in the air. With the softs it would kinda squat down on the rears making it a little tipsy. With the meds it gave it more support to stand taller, if that makes sense.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:26 AM   #10
Who's your Daddy-0!

And don't set your crawler up to climb walls! Set it up to crawl rocks!
TattooKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 05:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooKenny View Post
And don't set your crawler up to climb walls! Set it up to crawl rocks!
haha yea I know I know lol. I was just using that as an example of what was going on when I moved the weight to the front. On rocks its crawls really well! Still need grippier tires though