Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: steering linkage?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2009, 06:11 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default steering linkage?

Hello!

I recently installed a set of axial aluminum c-hubs and knuckles on my ax10. I soon noticed that the new parts were not throwing as far as they could, I saw that the longer of the two steering links connecting the knuckles was hitting the axle housing at the diff and would not allow the steering link to throw any farther. The only solution I can think of is bending my steering link but that would screw up my toe-in.

sooooooo.... If you guys have any advice or tips on how to fix this, or know of any parts that would help, it would be greatly appreciated!

thanks in advance!
Col. Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2009, 12:39 AM   #2
Who's your Daddy-0!

A BTA kit, longer link and bend it, screw out the rod ends on the one you have and bend it, put spacers to raise the link so that it's over the axle, ect.....you have a lot of options to fix it.
TattooKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:43 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Default .

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooKenny View Post
A BTA kit, longer link and bend it, screw out the rod ends on the one you have and bend it, put spacers to raise the link so that it's over the axle, ect.....you have a lot of options to fix it.
Yep! my thoughts exactly. You could also see a lot of different steering set ups on the different threads out there. I find my self doing that alot just to see what every one else is running. Good luck!
SaxtonSlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:24 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

thanks guys!

I ended up making my own links out of bronze rod (I think), and so far its working really well, I get full throw now. I mounted the longer link connecting the two knuckles above and behind the one that connects to the servo arm bending it for extra clearance. It looks killer and has way better approach angle now.

thanks for the help!
Old 09-10-2009, 11:29 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I will post pics soon!
Old 09-11-2009, 10:47 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Thanks guys here are some pics:

Before....

and after!

I love this new setup! Its strong, has tons of clearance and drastically improves my approach angle and I get full throw with my new knuckles and hubs!

Thanks for all the help guys!
Old 09-11-2009, 10:50 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

since I took the last picture I have remade the longer of the two links but it is pretty much the same so I didn't bother to take another picture.
Old 09-12-2009, 01:58 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Great job on the steering!
chevellian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 12:51 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

thanks chevellian!
Old 09-16-2009, 03:56 AM   #10

nice set up, i need to make something like that, i have the integy steering links and its all bent cause its too low.. is that welding rod that you used to make your links?
Lava Crawlah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 04:03 AM   #11
Who's your Daddy-0!

You should use button head screws on your knuckles from the bottom to hold the links. The way you have it now the screws are hanging out pretty far from the bottom of the knuckle and will get caught on everything! So put the button head in from the bottom and the nut on top You will gain all that you have sticking out from the knuckle down if you do. Also the higher you can get your steering link on your servo horn the more power you will get out of the servo, less work for the servo.
Attached Images

Last edited by TattooKenny; 09-16-2009 at 04:19 AM.
TattooKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 04:50 AM   #12
RCC Addict

x2 on the button head screws. If you don't have any, at least flip the screws around so the head is under the knuckle.

We took a similar approach except we angled ours a bit more so it could double as some protection for the servo horn.

CPE MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 05:39 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

The links are made out of some random bronze rod I found layin around. It works great and its super strong.

I am definitely gonna agree with you guys I should put some button heads in sounds like a good idea. (just as soon as I find them!)

I have the linkage mounted as high on the servo arm as it can go without limiting my steering throw. If I do move it higher it will not allow for full throw because the servo won't be able to push the knuckle all the way to the left. It does make sense though.

thanks for the advice guys!