Notices

Thread: Need Help Choosing a new Rig.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2009, 06:13 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Need Help Choosing a new Rig.

Hi All,
New here of course.
I am trying to decide what to get for my first crawler. I have narrowed it down some but would like some input from you please.
I am resonably sure that I want a dedicated crawler.
I will not be competing with it for now. but you never know....a shop 20 mins away is building a new indoor course and they seem to be a great bunch of guys.

I am interested in the Axial AX10 ARTR and the Losi comp crawler. They are both the same price where I shop right now (little more than 2 bills) and the Losi has the updated CVD's.
How do these two compare? Which one will need more to be worthy crawler? Also what would be a good set of electronics for them as well as the radio, batteries and charger?

I also have my eye on the Venom Creeper kit. I like the idea of building a rig ground up and it is like 85 bucks cheaper than the above two crawlers.
How does it compare to the AX10 and the Losi? And, if different, what would be a good electronics, radio. batts and charger setup for this one?
I know the AX10 is avail. in a kit but I have read here that some of it's components are inferior to the ARTR.

lastly, in the back of my mind is the Losi Mini Crawler. This looks like a nice little rig too. I am intersted in this one as well possibly.

I would like to keep the cost under $500 if possible. My wife would like to see under$400 but I have my ways to get around this if need be.

I am a bit torn and would like to know a few suggestions to my Q's as well as your opinion on what to look closer at.
Thanks
JT

Edit: I forgot to include a motor in my Q about suggested components. As well as my somewhat mild interest in the new Night Crawler By Losi. All are supported locally and am patient enough to wait for parts ordered online if need be.

Last edited by JTank70; 09-08-2009 at 06:30 PM. Reason: additional info
JTank70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2009, 01:33 AM   #2
Who's your Daddy-0!

Losi CC with Eritex MOA conversion The Losi is the best comp rig out of the box hands down. You can get one with the new CVD's in the box for $219.99 right now! $500 is really pushing it for any comp rig with everything needed though. You will need 1-2 motors depending on what rig you get, TX and RX, ESC, BEC, Batteries, Wheels, Tires, Servo......it adds up quick! $800-1000 is more like what it ends up being in the end......
TattooKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 01:38 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

or you can be a bit different that 90% of crawlers and get an HPI Crawler King!
savagefromthesprings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 02:37 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

why not get an axial rtc?

You will have enough cash remaining to get two battery packs and maybe another set of wheels xd
pitass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 03:20 AM   #5
Who's your Daddy-0!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitass View Post
why not get an axial rtc?

You will have enough cash remaining to get two battery packs and maybe another set of wheels xd
You won't win a comp with it out of the box. You will replace most if not all of the electronics in it. This is the great debate that has been asked a million times....

Read the forum, decide what you want to do with it. Then decide......
TattooKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 06:51 AM   #6
RCC Addict

I would as a first one choose either the AX10 kit (unassembled) or the Venom Creeper. Mainly due to they are kits. As you assemble them, you will learn alot about them. This goes a long way when you have breakage or other issues. Any rig unless it sits on a shelf undriven will break parts. It is as certain as the sky is blue. The electronics that come with the RTR kits are usualy ok for just at first. You will want or need to replace them. They use the bare minimum as far as electronics just so they can say it is complete. But the electronics are lacking in performance and durability. So you do get them and can run it at first. But they will not last or perform like a better aftermarket setup will. I know, old news.

The Losi does seem attractive. But it is a fairly complex kit. It is harder to fit batteries in and requires better electronics then the AX10 or Creeper. IMHO it is better suited to someone with a good amount of experience. It looks to be a great chassi and a greta deal from the factory. With experience in the owner, I think it is a much better kit then the other two I listed. But parts are harder to come by as it is fairly new. Same with Creeper parts. AX10 parts are all over every hobby shop. This is a big plus if you break and do not want to wait a week to order it online. That alone is a huge reason I think that so many choose the Axial, there is just so much support for it. Plus it works good stock and can be a real performer with mods. So much has been done to them by smart guys on here, you will never run out of possabilities or options.
Rook82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 07:30 AM   #7
RCC Addict

I would agree with rook. I have an AX10 artr that is modded and i just bought my son a venom creeper. I spent a lot of time building his and i made my own CKRC stage 2 kit for it and now im bummed cause his creeper out crawled my ax10 at CDM. The creeper is so underrated and at its current price right now, its a steal. Now i have to work on mine cause my sons creeper is walking all over mine.
ser3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:14 AM   #8

Default ebay!

Shop ebay you can save big on used parts even rigs already built.
wagoner79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:34 AM   #9

I have the lcc and it is very good crawler you will spend a little more than five hundred though on it unless your patient and watch ebay and rc tech for some good deals but I have all the best stuff in mine and I am still a couple hundred less than my buddies ax10 comp rig. The venum is a good rig with different tires and suspension setup. Ckrc makes a good stage two kit that really helps. Check out the car action crawler edition magazine it breaks down the top four comp rigs for you and what upgrades to do. Also look at the different pages on here to get a feel for the problems and benefits of each one before you buy one. Good luck
colorado_crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 06:10 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

So, after I posted this message last night I did some price checking. I now know that $500 is really pushing it and $400 is nearly impossible unless I go with the mini crawler or maybe the axial RTR or RTC.

my first choice I think would be the Axial ARTR. This priced out to be about $550 with the Spectrum 2 channel, novak rooster crawler,axial motor,hi torque metal gear servo, 2 6cell 3000mah's and the dynamite vp2 chgr.

My second choice would be the Venom Creeper. It came in at about $465 with the same gear.

The axial RTR would be $290 w 2 batts or RTC would end up at around $310 or so w 2 batts.The Losi Night Crawler would be in the same price range as these two.

The Losi Mini Crawler would be about $225

So there are 4 price ranges with these choices. I guess thats what it all boils down too. Picking a price and then picking a rig. I know you guys all know this already but thanks for putting up with me. It actually helps to sort things out by typing it.

There is a used AX10 for sale about an hour from me. I think I am going to go look at it tommorow night if it has not sold yet(waiting for email). It is a kit model with the betty body and 2 channel radio(unknown model), LRP Speed controller, and a 55 turn motor. It has a cracked shock cap but it says it does not leak. Used for about 5 hours and only need batts/charger. He wants $150. Did not like crawling.

Thanks for reading my rambles and please keep your opinion coming. They are all helping me out to look around at these.

Oh yeah......Is there any reason for me to be checking out the 3ch radio's? Some are not much more than the 2ch. If I am going to want it later I might spring for it sooner.

Thanks again
Old 09-11-2009, 04:17 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Just an update.

I decided to go with the ax10 artr. Ill post the details over in the ax10 area.

Thanks to all that replied and even those who did not. I am learning a ton here. It is a great forum.