Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: got my rtc today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2009, 12:05 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default got my rtc today!

first off gotta thank TCS i ordered Monday (labor day) and got a conformation email that day!

first off i trimmed the body till it just barely rubs. i also weighted and vented the wheels 7oz up front and 3.25 in the back.

problems i have:
1. my batterys only last about 15 mins i assume they arent getting fully charged or there bad. ive had them for years. so im going to be ordering a new charger and battery see if that livens it up.

2. the truck seems to have "servo stall" when the servo finds a place where theres force against it i lose all forward or backward movement. will changing the servo horn to a solid one help this? or do i need a stronger servo? (second pic) was driven into this position but would not move out...
desertrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2009, 12:18 AM   #2
MWRCA'er

Yeah a solid horn may help. Remember you want the shortest horn as possible that still allow for full lock to lock turning. A upgraded servo will make a much larger difference.
Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 12:36 AM   #3

Definantly get a solid servo horn. The spline on the servo is the same as JR servos so i got an aluminum horn for my rtc and it cut that problem down a lot! I also tested a Hitec HS-645MG servo with aluminum arm and it works great considering it was only $30. Congrats on the rtc and welcome to the sport!

as for a battery. i am running a 1350 mah 2s lipo in mine. i bought it from trail-gear.com/rc and i get about an hour run time. in my opinion definantly a good bang for your buck. i also bought their charger for lipos and it works great.
lifted90toyotapickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 12:40 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

so tomorrow i will pick up a new servo arm! hopefully that will get me a better entrance into rc rock crawling. so far its been a ton of fun on pillows and boxes tomorrow afternoon we shall find some rocks!
Old 09-11-2009, 12:43 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifted90toyotapickup View Post
as for a battery. i am running a 1350 mah 2s lipo in mine. i bought it from trail-gear.com/rc and i get about an hour run time. in my opinion definantly a good bang for your buck. i also bought their charger for lipos and it works great.
is the lipo a straight plug in?

last time i bought a battery it was for my rc10t (5 years ago) and nicd was the best i could get as far as i remember!
Old 09-12-2009, 12:34 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

The stock esc does not have a lipo cut off. Just something to keep in mind.

Putting a solid servo arm really helps but the plastic steering linkage has a lot of flex. Upgrading to aluminum steering links is quite cheap and a very noticable change.

The 'servo stall' you're describing is most likely due to your old batteries. Mine has the same problem; when driving it slows down or stops if I turn. part of the problem is the power drawn by the servo and part is the extra draw the motor puts on the system due to a fully locked drivetrain.

You can get into lipos quite economically if you shop around. People are reporting long runtimes of up to an hour with 1500mah lipos. This is enough for me to try lipos.
Tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 03:51 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertrunner View Post
is the lipo a straight plug in?

last time i bought a battery it was for my rc10t (5 years ago) and nicd was the best i could get as far as i remember!
The lipo that i got from trail-gear.com has deans plugs already on it. its a plug and play once you give it the first initial charge. if it is a 2 cell lipo battery they are not supposed to go below 6.25 volts i think. you can get what is called a lipo cut off so it will completely shut down your rig once the battery drains to a certain point, but i found out on my rtc that the second i notice any wheel speed lose, that i need to charge it up again and it ends up being at 6.33 everytime very consistently. Lipo cut offs arent too expensive at all and are worth it if you want to get into lipo. i highly recommend it but do a lot of research first. you also need a special charger for lipos, not just any nicad or nimh charger will work. look into it but dont get overwelmed. im 19 and i put it off cuz there was so much to remember and do but i very much so prefer them now that i took the time to research them.

aluminum steering links are also a good investment. with the plastic it takes away from the power and torque of the servo whether you know it or not.

but yeah..sorry if i hijacked this thread a bit but anymore questions, feel free to ask.
lifted90toyotapickup is offline   Reply With Quote