Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: what makes a clod a better crawler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2005, 12:43 PM   #1

Default what makes a clod a better crawler.

Ok guys im new to the crawler stuff. Was in to the nitro stuff for a long time{t-maxx} so im very familar with the emaxx suspension and diffs, so i like that, i know that that shafty has more realisam but that aside what makes the clod better on the rocks. Is it the weightr of the motors on the axles? The lack of weight in the chassis lower COG? Whats the magic? Im going to build a crawler over the winter got rid of all me nitro stuff and starting from scratch, so im really torn on what platform to start with, going to do a tube chassis based on the bruiser chassis from posion spyder, Ive got a back ground in 1:1 rock crawling. Im not against the realisam of a maxx based but i want the best crawler for the money as well. I do know that the maxx is more expensive to build with tranny and all but even the guys on the maxx brd say the clod is the best crawler. Sorry for running on but you know how its, and one last question for now. How close are they on the rock is it night and day that the clod is that much better or is it just some guys opions, it just seems to be just so matter of fact that the clod is king? Thanks in advance for your guys help.
mentalfloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-2005, 01:12 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

I personally like the maxx because of the diff clearance. And you can get alot of articulation out of them
or,crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 02:35 PM   #3
MODERATOR™

Low center of gravity. And the "Clod Stall" working in your favor.

If you aren't sure about the "Clod Stall" you can search for that term and find some stuff. Too much is bad, some is good.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 02:40 PM   #4
Adilynsdad too!

There are many choices for crawlers. Ask 10 people and you will probably get 10 different answers. The key to having a good crawler is practice. Whatever you crawl with learn how it reacts in every situation.

Oh shiat, what just happened.
braceysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 02:49 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Clods are simplier than TXTs with a lot more tolerance for error. there is no tranny so the torque twist is eliminated, less parts to worry about, and they have most of the weight on the axels. you can also control the front and rear motors independently with two escs. shafties are a lot more realistic and imo they are a lot more fun to build, and if you do it right, it can outperform a clod in overall performance.
Frakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 07:18 PM   #6

so is that the general consensus that a maxx can preform with a clod if its done right. I do like the maxx better but i dont want to build something and then get all done and someone show up with a clod that just walks all over it and then find out hes got half the money in it, I know that no matter what you got theres always someone with something better. just trying to do it right the 1st time and be happy with it. thanks for the help guys.
mentalfloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 07:32 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

there is no such thing as getting it right at the first time. once you start building it, you will never stop. you will always have new ideas, and you wont rest until you make them happen if you take it seriously. You might buy a clod now thinking it might be the one, then you realize that maybe you would enjoy building and tweaking something else to see the potentials. What it comes down to is that you have to decide what you like, then make the most of it. And remember, you cannot only crawl with a crawler but many other things too.
Frakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 07:56 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

if you want a no brainer just walk right over anything you put in front of it, your best bet would probley be a clod with a stick chassis and a tq-3 w/rear steer. if you want a serious comp rig. just add a second esc and a 4 channel controller. if you want a truck thats going to take a little more work to set up and alot more practice to get it down right go with a shafty. just comes down to what you like. check the comp. section and see what kind of rigs have been winning.

Last edited by dorji; 11-28-2005 at 11:30 PM.
dorji is offline   Reply With Quote