Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Newbie RWS question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2009, 09:48 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Newbie RWS question

I've had my WK for about three weeks now and I'm enjoying tinkering with it. I just finished fabricating and installing a 4 link on the rear this evening. This is 100% a play rig and in no way will I ever attempt to compete with it. I figure this one is for learning and tinkering and should I reach the point where I want to compete I will put a purpose built crawler together.

I would like to try adding RWS to my WK. I have already moved the servo over the front axle and have made and installed another mount on the rear axle. I'm not looking for independent RWS but was wanting to have it work in conjunction with the front. Is this possible? I've been reading and it sounds like a 3rd channel is normally used, is it possible to have the front & rear servos working at the same time? Can you wire them together to run on the same signal?

Sorry if this is a stupid question. I'm learning as I go and am still pretty clueless about most of this stuff. I'm trying to search before posting a question.
Phylodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-2009, 10:07 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Not a stupid question. All you need is a Y-harness to have 4WS on a 2 channel radio.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...ness&search=Go
Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:25 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

That's a big ol bucket full of awesome! Didn't know they made such a thing, thanks!
Old 10-21-2009, 02:16 AM   #4

ok im a newbie to crawling,but not to RC,i got the first losi night crawler the local florence al hobbytown got,and ive made my own custom links,weighted the wheels,sorta lowered it,(odd as it sounds im running cotton balls packed in my tires and it actually works) took the bulky battery tray out,running a 20 tooth pinion and it does fairly well,my question is can i succesfully use a castle creations sidewinder 4600kv motor and esc combo with an 11.1 on my rig and have any sort of torque?and another question........im going to buy another crawler for my son(even though hes only 3 months old)and the comp crawler and axial ax-10 and plan on getting a spektrum dx3s for either,so in your opinions which is better comp crawler or ax10....thanks for any help
KountryKrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 07:10 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KountryKrawler View Post
ok im a newbie to crawling,but not to RC,i got the first losi night crawler the local florence al hobbytown got,and ive made my own custom links,weighted the wheels,sorta lowered it,(odd as it sounds im running cotton balls packed in my tires and it actually works) took the bulky battery tray out,running a 20 tooth pinion and it does fairly well,my question is can i succesfully use a castle creations sidewinder 4600kv motor and esc combo with an 11.1 on my rig and have any sort of torque?and another question........im going to buy another crawler for my son(even though hes only 3 months old)and the comp crawler and axial ax-10 and plan on getting a spektrum dx3s for either,so in your opinions which is better comp crawler or ax10....thanks for any help
when getting a brushless motor/esc combo shoot for a lower kV rating on the motor. while the sidewinder system is an awsome system, i would go with a crawler specific system like the Novak goat or Losi sensored brushless esc with the 17.5 turn brushless motor
The comp crawler is definitly much better out of the box than the ax10, but aftermarket support for the axial is unbelivible
gottorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 11:17 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Don't waste your money on a sensorless BL system for crawling. Low-speed driveabilty is poor, as are the drag brakes. Hill-hold brakes are non-existent.

As gottorque said, get a sensored BL system like the Goat, or stick with brushed.
clockworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 12:11 PM   #7

thanks guys for the help,money is an issue so could anyone suggest a esc,motor combo with TONS of torque that'll handle an 11.1 that wont break the bank(even if its a brushed motor)
Old 10-21-2009, 08:38 PM   #8

Y harness as mentioned, but make sure your ESC can handle the load of both.
mikemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 08:48 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
thanks guys for the help,money is an issue so could anyone suggest a esc,motor combo with TONS of torque that'll handle an 11.1 that wont break the bank(even if its a brushed motor)
castle sidewinder and your motor of choice or the new holmes esc (its a tank and only $99!)
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 12:56 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500hdon37s View Post
castle sidewinder and your motor of choice or the new holmes esc (its a tank and only $99!)

i see you have an ax10 and a comp crawler,which is better
Old 10-22-2009, 08:39 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemaster View Post
Y harness as mentioned, but make sure your ESC can handle the load of both.

How can I tell? It seems to be working ok right now but it does get jittery after awhile and pretty warm. I'm guessing it's probably not rated for both servos since it's the stock WK ESC.
Old 10-23-2009, 01:32 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
i see you have an ax10 and a comp crawler,which is better
the Losi comp crawler is much better for crawling just rocks and comping but i still will take my ax-10 on trails and in mud
Old 10-23-2009, 01:33 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phylodog View Post
How can I tell? It seems to be working ok right now but it does get jittery after awhile and pretty warm. I'm guessing it's probably not rated for both servos since it's the stock WK ESC.
get a castle creations BEC unit problem solved
Old 10-26-2009, 05:24 PM   #14

the only thing i dont like about the comp crawler is the lack of being able to let the rear wheels freespin in a situation like attacking a steep incline , ive probably got a pound and a half on the front of my night crawler and it does good but will still flip backwards with the back wheels pulling,is front and rear dig a "worthy" tradeoff compard to an ax10 with just rear dig and free spin on the rear?