Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Crawler for son

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2009, 11:42 AM   #1

Default Crawler for son

I'm getting my son (12) a crawler for Christmas and would like to hear some recommendations from experienced crawlers on which one to get. This will be his first real RC (not a toy) ever so he may run with it or he may get bored after awhile and put it down who knows? So what I'm looking for is a RTC in the $250 range. Fun and durability take priority I'm not looking for a comp crawler just something he can have fun with and won't keep me broke buying replacement parts. Any suggestions are appreciated.
tekton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2009, 11:48 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

losi mrc
heminutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 12:17 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

i agree losi mrc if he wants to go for scale the good thing about that is he can drop a blackfoot body on it and there u go u have a scaler that can crawl to
93 FORD BRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 12:26 PM   #4
RCC Addict

If you're not looking for a comp crawler, maybe take a look at the Axial SCX10 TR. It's RTR and pretty decent out of the box and the price isn't bad, either. The Crawler Store has them for $299.
https://www.tcscrawlers.com/Axial-SC...2-p-17878.html
If you want more of comp-style rig, look at the Axial AX10 RTR or the Losi MRC
HTH
montana.matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 02:47 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

You could get the axial ax10 rtc
Tortuga275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 03:13 PM   #6

go with the losi mrc
cody428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 04:14 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Another option, especially since he is only 12 and new to RC, would be a Venom Creeper. Inexpensive now, and considering how some kids get bored with stuff really fast, you're not out much. It'll give him an idea of crawling (which is quite different than regular RC vehicles), and if he likes it, then you can go on from there. The MRC is a little smaller, so you may also want to gauge your decision on the size of the obstacles you will be crawling on. If its just landscape rocks in the yard, go smaller like the MRC. If you have some nice areas with big rocks, then go 1/10 so the rig is capable.
zjguy721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 04:44 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Location: You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy

i got my son that is 5 an ax10 , 55 turn , slipper clutch ....with over 1 year of crawling with it 0 broken parts and when he don't want to go it has becomes a loner rig
DeweyCJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 06:17 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeweyCJ5 View Post
i got my son that is 5 an ax10 , 55 turn , slipper clutch ....with over 1 year of crawling with it 0 broken parts and when he don't want to go it has becomes a loner rig
I'm building my little guy an AX10 right now, too. Just about the right speed for him. And gives dad something else to tinker with!
zjguy721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 10:37 PM   #10

I would go with any of the Axial rtc's. I don't own one, I have a WK based rig and a CC based rig. My buddies have Axials and they are awesome right out of the box. If it interests him, which it will for about two more years until he discovers girls, then you guys can buy and install upgrades together.
scootgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 01:55 AM   #11

Axial rtc, scx10 rtr or MRC would be a good choices.
All are ready to play wich is importatnt for a kid at Christmas.
cricco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 06:56 AM   #12

I'd got with the axial ax-10. It's a bit more expensive but it will be the most capable rtr crawler in your price range in my opinion. If he gets into it then there are tons of aftermarket parts you can pick up for it. Enjoy
unimogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 07:52 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Location: You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy

the main reason i did is because they are a very good starting point and i also have a SWX so i only need to carry one set of spare parts
DeweyCJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 08:26 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

axial rtc the axial axles and tranny are verry strong mine are still running fine for over a year with only drive shaft failure and easealiy fixed (and cheaply) with traxxas drive shafts
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 10:42 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

I would go with the Axial RTC. A decent truck for the price. Check TCS Crawlers, that is where I got mine....
1rcmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 11:34 AM   #16
dnf

the problem with the axial rtc........... the motor,esc,servo,links,rx,radio and shocks are crap. when you buy a rtc the only thing worth having is the axles and tranny . at least the losi rtr comes with a 2.4 radio" i think?"
and with worm gears you dont need a great esc. but keep in mind.......dig is one of the funnest things to do when crawling. and you cant do that with a rtr........period. get him a used axial with dig. you can find something, it may not be in the price range you wanted. but you will spend less in the long run.
rock hard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 12:27 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock hard View Post
the problem with the axial rtc........... the motor,esc,servo,links,rx,radio and shocks are crap. when you buy a rtc the only thing worth having is the axles and tranny . at least the losi rtr comes with a 2.4 radio" i think?"
and with worm gears you dont need a great esc. but keep in mind.......dig is one of the funnest things to do when crawling. and you cant do that with a rtr........period. get him a used axial with dig. you can find something, it may not be in the price range you wanted. but you will spend less in the long run.

the kid is 10 and has never crawled, dig?? come on, I have been crawlin for a while without dig and am perfectly happy. Get him something rtc and he will be happy
maxxmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 12:37 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

My girl is 10 and loves crawing with me. We started out with 2 used comp rigs that we got off of here in the F/S section. With only one season under her belt and using dig 1/2 way through the season, she's gotten very good. If you're looking to crawl together, just go 2.2 right off the batt. the 1.9s are fun but take more skill to tackle the standard obstacles that a 2.2 can. All this is strictly my own opinion so don't hold me leagally responsible if he don't like it.
Krakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 12:45 PM   #19
dnf

my son is 9 and my wife also crawl. and DIG IS ONE OF THE FUNNIST THINGS in OUR opinion. my sons truck doesnt have dig. thats why he likes driving MOMS truck. the kid is 12 and can have ALOT more fun if you give him DIG.
rock hard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 03:42 PM   #20
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock hard View Post
my son is 9 and my wife also crawl. and DIG IS ONE OF THE FUNNIST THINGS in OUR opinion. my sons truck doesnt have dig. thats why he likes driving MOMS truck. the kid is 12 and can have ALOT more fun if you give him DIG.
i didn't say dig wasn't fun, the guy said he is looking for a rtc truck that will be good to get his son into the hobby, not a comp rig, I was answering his original question. Any of above suggestions would be good in my opinion.

Last edited by maxxmeat; 11-01-2009 at 03:46 PM.
maxxmeat is offline   Reply With Quote