Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: another battery question...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2009, 02:09 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default another battery question...

hi guys im running an SCX10 with 27t motor 14/87 stock gearing, but i'm only runnin a 1600 mah nihm battery, im getting a decent wheelspeed but i feel like im not getting enough current that the motor needs do you guys have any suggestion?

i'm only looking for better nihm batteries though that can supply enough to my motor to get more out of it. I don't wanna venture to a lipo quite yet, or maybe my gearing is way off.

thanks for the help
ped453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-2009, 02:23 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

iwhat esc are you running? that will really be the big factor, you can only run so much threw it. and you never said what voltage the pack is, MAH has nothing to do with speed, mah effects the run time, more volts = more power more mah = more run time

honestly tho, lipo really is the way to go, they arnt as dangerous as people make them out to be, IMO you have to be pretty stupid to explode a lipo (minus the bad ones here and there that happen with every product ever made)
ultimate_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 03:16 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Default battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimate_monkey View Post
iwhat esc are you running? that will really be the big factor, you can only run so much threw it. and you never said what voltage the pack is, MAH has nothing to do with speed, mah effects the run time, more volts = more power more mah = more run time

honestly tho, lipo really is the way to go, they arnt as dangerous as people make them out to be, IMO you have to be pretty stupid to explode a lipo (minus the bad ones here and there that happen with every product ever made)
7.2 volts 6 pack and also im runnin a cheapo esc dynamite pro 15t, sorry lack of budget for now

and can you or anyone enlighten me on how lipo works, ones i get funds i will probably swing to lipo.

thanks for the response
ped453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 03:47 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

how do you mean how lipo works?

its basically just like an NiMh pack, but a different chemical make up inside the battery, allowing them to be lighter and smaller then a standard cell, whille still give the volts and MAH rateing. you will need a charger capable of chargeing lipos (imax b6 is a budget concious charger) and a way to balance them (onace again the imax b6 is capable of this too)

Now unlike regular cells the Lipos dont like to be run down to nothing, so you will need and ESC with a built in cut off, or an external cut off, set at minimum of 3volts per cell, so a 2s set the cut off to 6+ volt, 9+ volt for a 3s and so on, there aer many great lipo capable ESC on the market varrying in price, depdning on how deep your pockets are.

iv had great luck with the e-bay lipos, and the b6 charger.. for the charger and 2 batteries your lookin at about $70 which really isnt that much more then a regular charger and Nimh cells.
ultimate_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote