Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: first budget rig

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2009, 05:47 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default first budget rig

I am a total newbie to rock crawling and have been following it for a couple moths now and would really like to get a crawler. I would like to get a full complete rig with everything i would like to get one i was looking at the Ax10 and the venom creeper, but im pretty sure that neither one come with everything ready to crawl right out of the box correct? and if so is there any crawlers that i can get that you guys think are good that are ready to crawl?
i am looking to spend less then 250 or so if i can.
thanks guys
jakedasnake92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-2009, 06:16 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I'm a budget minded crawler too, with two kids, I started out with what you have.

I'm still a somewhat of a noob, just started in spring and started with around $250,00. First ask yourself do you want to comp? If so look for a maybe a used axial on here, Buy a Star worth it, or post 30 messages and wait 30 days. Also check www.RCTECH.net, I found an axial RTR for $100.00, all it needed was batteries and a charger. If you go the new route then really look at the venom creeper for the money, you can find a inexpensive radio and reciever, a used traxxas TQ3 are cheap and work. For a charger check www.Hobbypartz.com, I got one and it works great no problems for me. Also check Novaks website they have a refurbished section for motors and escs.

We had a comp recently and we run a shaft only 2.2 and some guys had venoms and they crawled really good. The Losi MRC is a really good package deal. We run them also and I'm trying to save up for one of them too. If you can really save some money I would even consider the Losi NightCrawler.
Ghostkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 06:41 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Buy an Axail AX10 kit from TCS crawlers for $169.99...and a Traxxas TQ3 from ebay (I just bought another one and it cost $25.00 shipped). You will need batteries and a charger ( the ready to crawl kit doesn't come with them either). Buy a $15 Axial 55 turn motor, a Traxxas xl-5 from ebay (about $30) and a blue bird 639mg servo (another $25 or so). It will cost you about $275...but you will have two things when you are done. 1. You will know how your ax10 after having put it together from a kit. 2. You will have muh better electronic and a much better truck as the kit version has alot of upgraded parts as the manufacturer does not have to spend the money on the labor to have the kit assembled. The traxxas speed control is a much better unit than the axial in the rtr version. The blue bird 630mg servo is actually a pretty decent budget servo and and the tq3 is a three channel radio and can be set up with a three position switch and end point adjustments if you later decide to put a dig into your truck. It may be a little more work, but it will be alot of fun putting it all together and you will have a sense of accomplishment from building a great truck.
billm67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 06:54 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

i just bought the losi night crawler off rpp for 294.26 shipped to my doorand its comp worthy
BansheeManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 07:35 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Alright thanks for all the help guys but i was really looking at getting one that is all put together for my fist one because i dont now much about them and want one that first is put all together, then once i figure things out start to build my own or build up the one i get.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:59 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

I was looking at this crawler and it looks like it comes with everything right out of the box for the price i like is that correct?
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Ready-To-Crawl
Old 11-16-2009, 11:54 PM   #7

I don't see any mention of the radio coming with it (unless my tired eyes missed it), so you would still have to get the radio. Otherwise it sounds like a great deal.

My daughter has an axial and its a decent rig for a beginner.

Spektrum makes a great radio, but they can be pretty spendy.

I'm sure some of the folks that know a lot about radios can point you in the right direction. I'm still learning.
03libertysport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 07:59 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03libertysport View Post
I don't see any mention of the radio coming with it (unless my tired eyes missed it), so you would still have to get the radio. Otherwise it sounds like a great deal.

My daughter has an axial and its a decent rig for a beginner.

Spektrum makes a great radio, but they can be pretty spendy.

I'm sure some of the folks that know a lot about radios can point you in the right direction. I'm still learning.
You say its just a decent rig for a beginner? I plan to have this for a while and there are alot of upgrades and stuff to make it a really good crawler correct?
Or mabye the venom creeper is a better one cause i would like to get into it after a little while mabye not compotition.
Old 11-17-2009, 01:18 PM   #9

Yes, there are upgrades you can do.

As to my "beginner" reference, I was basing that on the fact that when we got one for our daughter last year for Christmas, she found it very user friendly. Hers is the Axial AX10 Scorpion Rock Crawler, which we got for $239 at the time.
03libertysport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 01:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakedasnake92 View Post
I was looking at this crawler and it looks like it comes with everything right out of the box for the price i like is that correct?
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Ready-To-Crawl
I'm new to this too and was looking at this same one. It does not come with the batteries or a charger. I am looking for a total package right out of the box as well and think I have decided on the Losi MRC in 1/18 scale. It has everything you need to start running.
rebel GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 01:35 PM   #11
RCC Addict

the rtc includes the radio and TCS has a great deal on them right now.

Last edited by indiana mudcat; 11-17-2009 at 01:38 PM.
indiana mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 01:38 PM   #12
dnf

I bought my son a rtc axial.no rtr is worth the money in my opinion.
but I wanted him to take part in the build a little,and I didnt have time to find a good used one.
the rtc was around 250 after tax
used sling shot chassis with links 100
good esc 100
good motor 40
alum c's and knuckls 50
losi mrc 2.4 radio 30
used alum wheels v.p. 100
used jr 9000t servo 60
rovers 30
traxas big bore shocks used 25
thats how much I got inn my sons novice class comp truck,with no dig.
there is many ways to spend your money.
right now in this economy,buy used.
if you get a rtr the electronics wont last long=$$$ out off pocket
buy a used axial/losi/berg with electronics
i would stay away from the creeper,to me the truck has not proven itself to be tough enough.and I doubt the aftermarket parts support will be there in the future.

good luck,hope this is helpfull.

you can get a good deal if you have the money right now.
rock hard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 01:40 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

it's cheaper here just trying to help you out.
BOBO_XLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 01:56 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by billm67 View Post
Buy an Axail AX10 kit from TCS crawlers for $169.99...and a Traxxas TQ3 from ebay (I just bought another one and it cost $25.00 shipped). You will need batteries and a charger ( the ready to crawl kit doesn't come with them either). Buy a $15 Axial 55 turn motor, a Traxxas xl-5 from ebay (about $30) and a blue bird 639mg servo (another $25 or so). It will cost you about $275...but you will have two things when you are done. 1. You will know how your ax10 after having put it together from a kit. 2. You will have muh better electronic and a much better truck as the kit version has alot of upgraded parts as the manufacturer does not have to spend the money on the labor to have the kit assembled. The traxxas speed control is a much better unit than the axial in the rtr version. The blue bird 630mg servo is actually a pretty decent budget servo and and the tq3 is a three channel radio and can be set up with a three position switch and end point adjustments if you later decide to put a dig into your truck. It may be a little more work, but it will be alot of fun putting it all together and you will have a sense of accomplishment from building a great truck.

I agree with this. You are much better off buying the kit and building it yourself. The build is pretty straight forward, and should only take about a day to put together +/- depending on your skill level, novice should take about a day. You will know the truck inside and out with the kit. The kit version also comes with better parts as apposed to the RTC.
trailjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 07:24 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

Alright well i think i have decided to to get the venom creeper... so can anyone tell me what the best place to get it and all the components that i will need to get it running good for a good price?
thanks guys
Old 11-17-2009, 07:48 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Alright I think you're going in the right direction by building it yourself you'll learn your rig a lot better that way. I'd get the Creeper through rpphobby.com and get a tekin fxr and an integy 45t motor. Radio I think there are a few options you could go 2.4ghz but it'll cost you 100 plus for the radio, or you could get a tq3 off ebay for around 25. As for the charger and batteries go to hobbyking.com and get some 1300mah 2s or 3s lipos and a lipo charger off there. just send me a message if you need any info I am more than happy to help, I haven't been into crawling to long about a year but own a fully cusomized ax10 and mrc, and also a fairly stock scx10, but I've been into rc for about 20 years

Derek
dman1101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 08:12 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

great idea build it your self then when something breaks you can fix it also a little help may be to get a cheep tackel box from walmart and put all yur tools and extra parts in it to take with you crawling
jasontech17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 10:54 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

got mine a rpp hobbies for 119.00 and shipping was fast.
S ARR T 8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 04:22 PM   #19
dnf

the creeper is dirt cheap for a reason,you get what you pay for.
rock hard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 05:54 PM   #20

You get what you pay for. It all depends on what your future plans are. Just to play around in the back yard you might be ok with the creeper. But if you think you want to do comps later on you might think about the fact that the money you spend on a creeper could be better spent on a used comp rig. I have been comping for about a year now and have had 4 crawleres, but not one of them were bought new. But all of them have been very dependable. You can always buy them cheaper than you can build one. If your looking to go budget buy used.
OldSkool is offline   Reply With Quote