Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: What is droop suspension?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2009, 12:59 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default What is droop suspension?

What is droop suspension, does it increase capability of a rig, and how do you do it?
landrover4wd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-2009, 03:36 AM   #2
Who's your Daddy-0!

Lightbulb

Droop A feature of a suspension type that, when a vehicle is stationary, is fully compressed. Articulation with a droop suspension design comes from the axle dropping , or "drooping," away from the chassis.

There are several ways to set your shocks up for droop. Some people run internal springs, some run no springs and just use a heavier weight oil only. Does it improve the rigs ability? Depends on your driving style. It's driver preference really. And it depends on what type of chassis your running on weather it's a good idea or not.

Do some searching on the forum and you will find a ton of builds and write-ups with rigs running droop, full droop, ect.....
TattooKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 03:43 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooKenny View Post
Droop A feature of a suspension type that, when a vehicle is stationary, is fully compressed. Articulation with a droop suspension design comes from the axle dropping , or "drooping," away from the chassis.

There are several ways to set your shocks up for droop. Some people run internal springs, some run no springs and just use a heavier weight oil only. Does it improve the rigs ability? Depends on your driving style. It's driver preference really. And it depends on what type of chassis your running on weather it's a good idea or not.

Do some searching on the forum and you will find a ton of builds and write-ups with rigs running droop, full droop, ect.....

Thanks man for explaining it to me. I guess I'll experiment with it and see if I like it.
landrover4wd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 09:31 PM   #4

I don't know how it is used in the RC world, but in a 1:1 crawler, your suspension has droop if one tire will fall into a crevass or hole a good distance, but with control. Long arms, flexible springs, and wide-range-of-motion link ends will help you get this. The downside in 1:1 is that a really supple suspension can make you prone to rollovers, which can be hard on equipment and body parts.
hkunz is offline   Reply With Quote