Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: does a lipo battery reely matter?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2009, 09:34 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default does a lipo battery reely matter?

i mean it seems like lipos are what everyones using im gonna get the novak rooster would a stick pack still work or what are some cheap 2s lipos? thanks!
mtnbiker93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2009, 09:45 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Stick pack will work fine, if your just screwing around the house and not doing comps. Im running a 6 cell on my FXR, works good.
BLKXJ 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 09:48 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKXJ 96 View Post
Stick pack will work fine, if your just screwing around the house and not doing comps. Im running a 6 cell on my FXR, works good.
ya i men im still gonna be runnin on some true trails and things my new scaler will handle but imnot doing comps or anything. and i dont kno s**t about lipos and dont have money for the balancers but the stick pack will be fine?
mtnbiker93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 09:54 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

I would say if you're not doing any comping then you're fine with the stick pack. It will be plenty capable of powering your truck. Lipos can be somewhat costly depending on your set up, so I would definitely say if you're not wanting to put some cash into it then stick packs are definitely the way to go for you
crawling hippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 09:55 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

lipos are smaller and lighter for the same voltage . mah as a stick pack, and in honesty its really not much more to get goin with lipos then it is with nimh, "winforce" lipos are 2 for $30 on e-bay (there is even cheaper lipos avaibable) and a imax b-6 charger/balancer is 40, so u can really get into lipo for the same as nimh
ultimate_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 12:01 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I'm just bashing around with my scaler, we call it follow the leader, hit trails, some rocks and small bushes...and I switched over to Lipos..only cause I want more from my batteries...I still run a stick pack with mine from time to time...lipos just give you more ommph..also made my rig less top heavy, cause they are lighter and smaller...like UM said. running a 2S 2800 mAh and we were out for 3 hours last time...only used one battery.
squatch71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 09:33 AM   #7

My LCC was pretty much undriveable with NiMH batteries, 2s and 3s Lipos work great though.
av8rds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 12:19 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Ill be one to say that im in the same boat as you. I wanted a stick pack for my rig since burning out a 1500MAH Elite saddle pack, but everyone told me to go lipo and i tell you what im definitely going to do so as soon as i get the cash for it. You can get a decent setup with ridiculous run times and the lipo batts are super small so you can mount them pretty much anywhere you want. I would say do a little research and you`ll find that its super easy to get into Lipos. I for one am not running in any Comps what so ever, but lipos are pretty much the way to go if you want a good long lasting battery.
ToTheMAXXcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 12:43 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Here is a cheap but good 2S Lipo setup you could have(My setup):

Charger/Balancer:
http://www.hobbypartz.com/thac6smbachw.html

Lipo Battery:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXYCA9&P=0

And don't forget to get a Lipo sack for safety when charging and storing your battery:
http://www.hobbypartz.com/lisagubachor.html
BadRockNoCookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 01:10 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

I was running stick packs up until the other week, I've been having trouble with most of my packs being old and cells being bad.

I got 4x 1000mah 25c 2s lipos for £17

They fit over my front axle and have made a huge difference to the weight.
I wanted higher capacity, but having got 4 of them I'm not too worried.

My charger is a balancer charger. Just plug both the balance wire and the normal leads into the charger, select lipo, 2s and press go.

Just don't store them for long periods at a full charge, if your charger is good it should have a function to charge/discharge a lipo to the right voltage for storage.

Once you get the hang that s is number of cells and that a bigger C number is a good thing, then it's quite easy.

I'm quite pleased with lipo, it's a great option if you need to save weight, lower the CoG, or up the power while keeping the weight low.

My advise is to start reading up on them and when your old stick packs die go lipo
Crimson Feight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 02:15 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

lipo batteries will pack a higher punch throughout it's charge cycle. for example, a NiMh pack will start dropping off as it is discharged, essentially loosing it's punch.

go to www.hobbycity.com and check out the turnigy lipo section. you'll have to pay shipping from hong kong, but if you get a couple guys together, it's very affordable. best pricing i have found, and we've bought a TON of batteries.
WOUrugger51 is offline   Reply With Quote