Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: So confused!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2009, 08:33 AM   #1

Red face So confused!!!!

Ok, so I'm completely new to crawling and have spent the better part of a couple of weeks reading through this site. I'm pretty certain that I want to jump right into the deep end and go MOA. I've read countless Berg vs. Bully threads and the best that I can determine, is that in my very incapable hands, it ain't gonna matter much which one I go with!

Here is where my confusion sets in: Most people tout the Bully product as the cheaper (cost, not quality) alternative.Bully ARTR is about $300-$350. The Newage/Berg is $250.

What am I missing? Does the Bully come with more stuff? Is it already upgraded more, hence the Newage would cost more once upgraded to the Bully specs?

Stupid newbies.........
0volts is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-2009, 08:42 AM   #2
'08 2.2 National Champ

What you're looking at is if you buy the whole roller not just the axles. Most guys are buying the axles and building their own.

Yes the Bully roller is more expensive but more capable at that price too. There is very little useful besides the axles on the Berg Roller in my opinion.
Just Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 11:03 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Actually the berg kit is a great way to get started. Ya can get up and running pretty cheap and while it isn't a great comp setup ya can learn to drive it and upgrade stuff as ya go. I don't know which bully roller you're looking at but ya are still gonna want to upgrade down the road with all the ones I've looked at and they are not the new light weight housings (which are the only ones I'd even consider for anything other than a basher).
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 12:36 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Personally, I think that JPCustomRCs sells two of best MOA ARTR kits out there:
http://www.jpcustomrcs.com/catalog/i...89/7195102.htm
http://www.jpcustomrcs.com/catalog/i...89/7195147.htm
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 01:55 PM   #5
TSK
Shelf queen

Something you may want to consider when making your decision is aftermarket support. At some point you'll wnat to upgrade components.

I run neither a berg or a bully, but from what i've seen the berg seems to be the current fad of the aftermarket world.
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 08:19 AM   #6

Ok, that makes more sense. I didn't realize most people were just buying the axles by themselves. Thanks for all the help, I'll keep reading and make a decision.
Old 12-26-2009, 09:22 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

IMO bullys is better for newbs. Cuz it don't need any upgrades as bergs does. I'm no newb, and still would go with bullys myself.
Mudsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 09:41 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Bully axles, whether you get the light weight cnc milled Aluminum or the heavier cast axles are comp worthy out of the box,,,the are built to be run and run hard,,,Bergs need upgrades to compete,,if you buy Bully axles you dont have to mod them or upgrade them to bash,,or compete,,or both,,,the heavier axles in the ARTR kit can easily be lightened with the upgraded cnc parts if you want them,,and going lighter with Bully's after the fact is still cheaper then having to upgrade or rebuild Bergs....Just my honest opinion based on wat Ive read and seen in person.
rmdesignworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 09:43 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

imo bullys are the way to go to. they dont need any upgrades therefor there isn't that much need for aftermarket parts. They have beefy shafts and strong gears and case. plus the top of the axle tube is flat making mounting options easier.
kawboy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 09:43 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

never went moa myself but i would go with bully's simply based on rc4wd's superb quality of parts and outstanding customer service.
its your choice and i think bully's to start off with and maybe later you may find you like berg better. good luck man. either way enjoy yourself!
rockmahala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 03:41 PM   #11

Thanks for all the help guys! Hadn't heard of the JP stuff before, so that is definitely another option. I'm also having a hard time telling the difference between the bully lite weight axles and the heavier ones. Buying them separately, I think I can tell the difference, but in a ARTR kit I'm not sure if anyone sells the lite weight axles.

Since I'm a total ignoramus about crawling, I'm torn between getting something cheap to start, or going all out. I would hate to throw a ton of money upgrading a cheap kit when I can just jump right in with something that will be competitive (aside from my driving skills).
Old 12-26-2009, 09:50 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Unless ya have someone that really knows what they are doing put a comp rig together for ya (around $1500+) anything ya get will need upgrading. That's half+ the fun for me. Even with a great comp rig ya will still have to drive it and different people have different styles that work with different rigs. It just makes sense to start with a good platform and upgrade as ya go. I really think the bergs make better all out comp rigs but the new light bullys may turn out to be as good or even better. The bully are much better bashers and are cheaper. Either in artr form aren't too great but at least with the berg kit ya aren't out as many dollars to get up and running. Sure the bergs may be more $ to build up witn 300s and such but ya don't need that to compete locally or learn to drive/bash and ya will end up with a serious competition rig. Nothing against bullys, they just haven't shown me or the national winners they can be the ones to beat yet (not that I beat any good drivers). When Austin starts running a bully i might take another look.:-P
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote