Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Never built a kit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2009, 01:57 PM   #1

Default Never built a kit

Hey everybody, it is my first post so I guess a little introduction.. I have recently gotten into this hobby and have been pretty hard and heavy with short course stuff with the Blitz. I have been lurking on here looking at the crawler stuff and it seems pretty interesting. I have looked at all the custom comp stuff as well as the artr and rtc. I have also been doing a lot of reading on the Creeper. I know that a kit build is the way to go but I have never done one before. I don't think it will be any harder than rebuilding a 1:1 tranny. Anyway, I live in northern Iowa with very few rocks compared to what I grew up around (southen Missouri), and I dont think I need a comp level rig.
I don't think I need a comp rig as I don't know if I will even like the whole crawling thing. Budget doesn't much matter but I don't want to sink a lot of money in something that will just set on the shelf.
So, what would you guys think would be a good entry level(ish) rig to get in to? How in depth is the build of a kit anyway?
Duspan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-2009, 02:46 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duspan View Post
Hey everybody, it is my first post so I guess a little introduction.. I have recently gotten into this hobby and have been pretty hard and heavy with short course stuff with the Blitz. I have been lurking on here looking at the crawler stuff and it seems pretty interesting. I have looked at all the custom comp stuff as well as the artr and rtc. I have also been doing a lot of reading on the Creeper. I know that a kit build is the way to go but I have never done one before. I don't think it will be any harder than rebuilding a 1:1 tranny. Anyway, I live in northern Iowa with very few rocks compared to what I grew up around (southen Missouri), and I dont think I need a comp level rig.
I don't think I need a comp rig as I don't know if I will even like the whole crawling thing. Budget doesn't much matter but I don't want to sink a lot of money in something that will just set on the shelf.
So, what would you guys think would be a good entry level(ish) rig to get in to? How in depth is the build of a kit anyway?
in my opinion the Axial Trail Honcho would be the best "starter kit". it isn't a comp style 2.2 rig like the venom but it crawls excellent not to mention it has awesome scale looks. plus it has much more potential for customization. scale crawlers to me are just way more fun. thats why i sold my losi comp setup and got a wreckluse, a SCX-10 with newbright unlimited jk body, and working on getting a Trail Honcho myself. which i'll put a tamiya hilux cab on and custom tube bumpers. just som ideas.
Turn'Nburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 08:32 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I would say any of the scx-10 kits would be plenty for Iowa. check out the brand specific tech thread under scx10 and see if that is something you would like. I have one and love it!
NeoK5Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 09:12 PM   #4

are they very bashable or are they mostly for looks. The scale thing looks great but can it be actually ran hard?
Old 12-24-2009, 09:22 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

A guy we crawl with (Twilight on here) has a SCX-10, he runs all of the stuff we run with our comp crawlers, just a different line. He beats it up pretty good, it is not just for looks.......I was pretty impressed!!

Don't let the lack of rocks make you chose your rig, I live in SE Michigan we have no rocks!! So I built a three ton rock course at my house, and start to think. Most malls have a bunch of rocks in drain ditches, our local mall has 2 to 3 good crawl spots.

Last edited by BLKXJ 96; 12-24-2009 at 09:30 PM.
BLKXJ 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 12:46 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duspan View Post
are they very bashable or are they mostly for looks. The scale thing looks great but can it be actually ran hard?
Axial rigs are as tough as they come. the tranny and axles are excellent and the SCX-10 series iis built around a steel c-channel frame like a full size truck. they can take a beating.
Turn'Nburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 04:28 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turn'Nburn View Post
Axial rigs are as tough as they come. the tranny and axles are excellent and the SCX-10 series iis built around a steel c-channel frame like a full size truck. they can take a beating.
Yep and mines takeing a beating setting on the shelf waiting on you to get yours done so we can do some crawling. lol

How's it going Jon?
Hope you and you better half are haveing a good Christmas.

Last edited by transambill; 12-25-2009 at 04:30 PM. Reason: bad spelling
transambill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 06:23 PM   #8
riz
Quarry Creeper

I'd recommend the Axial SCX10 or the AX10 ... very nice stuff !
riz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 11:31 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

My Scx10 has taken a 50 foot epic fail at one of our comps so haha yeah they are really tough
bmx_ican92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 01:04 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

From the sounds of where you live I would get a scale kit. I live in MN. and started out with the whole comp crawler thing and found that there was not enough good spots to run the truck. I have since switched to scale trucks and love every minute I can get out and run them. Scale trucks can be just as tough and trail worthy as a comp crawler but they are also a blast to drive down a dirt trail with a few roots. Axial makes great kits and I would suggest any of there scale kits as a great starter kit.
fixed13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 07:13 AM   #11

Thanks for the opinions guys, I think I will take a look at some scale rigs... I really like the look of the TR and the Honcho