Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Best bang for the buck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2009, 03:12 PM   #1

Default Best bang for the buck

Trying to decide what to buy...I would prefer something ready to crawl, but I would like good quality electronics and I would prefer to run a lipo battery...I am not opposed to buying electronics separate, I just want to be sure I get my monies worth...What is my best option? Is there anything in the RTC market that would have a 3 channel radio, for future upgrades? I would like to keep this on the cheap or at least cheap as possible ( I know that's always the case)...
xpnsvtoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2010, 09:28 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

So far that I've seen, most people end up ditching the stock electronics in RTR kits. Have heard a lot of good things about he Losi Night Crawler, but again, people seem to be swapping out for better motors, ecs's etc.. I would personally buy AX10 ARTR or Losi comp crawler and choose my own electronics.
PDXFNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 09:32 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

if you could hold off a little while and get 30 posts and 30 days, you could see the for sale section. That will probally be the best bang for your buck. You could probally get a already upgraded crawler rtr for a very reasonable price. If I had it to do again thats what i would do.
Jkelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 08:54 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

I have been wondering why this site didnt have a "For Sale" section.. We need 30 posts and 30 days? Guess i will wait until then to purchase my crawler and see what kinda deals i can get!

Thanks for the info!
FlatTire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 09:10 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I just bought an axial ax10 for my kid, $220 and the hobby shop thru in a battery if I bought a charger. $250 otd, Have done so much reading here and am very thankful that I did get the axial, so many tips, tricks, and parts are available for it.
motojeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 09:38 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

You dont have to wait the 30 days and 30 posts if you kick out the 20 bucks and get a star and become a supporting member. it gives you instant access to the for sale section. believe me you will more than save 20 bucks in the for sale section. It will be worth it in the long run.
Jkelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 07:29 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkelley View Post
You dont have to wait the 30 days and 30 posts if you kick out the 20 bucks and get a star and become a supporting member. it gives you instant access to the for sale section. believe me you will more than save 20 bucks in the for sale section. It will be worth it in the long run.
COOL! Didnt know that either, but I will be getting my Membership ASAP!

Thanks!!!!
FlatTire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:03 AM   #8

Thanks for the input everybody...I think I will hold off until I get my 30 posts and check out the classifieds section...

I was dead set on the Axial for a long time but I recently fan across the Losi Night Crawler and I like it...Are there any advantages with the Losi over the Axial?
Old 01-04-2010, 08:15 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpnsvtoys View Post
Thanks for the input everybody...I think I will hold off until I get my 30 posts and check out the classifieds section...

I was dead set on the Axial for a long time but I recently fan across the Losi Night Crawler and I like it...Are there any advantages with the Losi over the Axial?
Losi has a 2.4Ghz radio (2 channel) and a ESC that has a low voltage cutoff if you want to run LiPo.

But if you ever need a 3rd channel for anything, your kinda stuck replacing the radio down the line.
y2kgtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:23 AM   #10

Great...I would like to have something ready to run Lipos with out having to upgrade right away, although I'm sure I'll get the bug and have to upgrade something sooner than later...Does anyone know if there are any other crawlers out of the box that will run lipo's?
Old 01-05-2010, 08:01 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I think the Losi Night Crawler is the only one out of the box that has a cut off, but you can put a cutoff on most anything. There are some aftermarket LiPo cutoff's made like the Common Sense RC Lipo Shield, but it is set to 3.0v per cell, which I think is a bit low.

but the Night crawler is 300$+ out of the box as well.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:40 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kgtp View Post
...but it is set to 3.0v per cell, which I think is a bit low...
What is the optimum cut off voltage?
Old 01-05-2010, 08:48 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpnsvtoys View Post
What is the optimum cut off voltage?
I prefer to use 3.2 > 3.3v per cell but that is just me. Here are some lipo's I had on a buggy with a 3.0v set per cell. My kid was driving it and it kept going until it started crawling. (no pun intended).

It could have been the high current draw of the motor, but these packs were rated 30C so should have been fine.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:59 AM   #14

Understood...Keep it slightly above 3 volts or risk possible damage to your battery pack...
Old 01-05-2010, 10:11 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Do you have any RC equipment already?