Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: A huge thank you

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2010, 10:20 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Talking A huge thank you

I just want to give a shout out to all who contributed to the Definitive ESC, Motor and battery threads, and the RCCrawler's glossary of terms for noobs! Thank you very much! In reading just these threads, all my burning questions have been answered (namely, what is a dig - answered in the glossary!)

I completely devoured the threads concerning the proper care and feeding of batteries From my readings, I have found a formula that may be helpful to anyone in a hurry to charge their batteries and go out and do some bashing.

Time required to charge a NiCd:

Given: the battery pack is completely dead

T = R / A x 60

Where T is time in minutes, R is the battery pack's rating in mAh, and A is the amperage at which the pack is charged in milliamps. A is not to exceed 6000 for the safety of the battery.

I would use this formula to find out just how far ahead of time I need to put my batteries on the charger before using them in my RC truck.

Anyways, keep up the awesome work on these forums, I want to say again that I appreciate all who contributed to the newbie friendliness of this forum!
neamerjell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2010, 10:26 PM   #2
www.team3sixrc.com

well finally, this prooves that someone can learn from just reading the posts.
glad you did it man and welcome to your wallet being empty 99% of the time.

If you want to read more on electronics.
just a little something I did on my site.
http://www.team3sixrc.com/rcelectronics101.htm
team3six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 09:25 AM   #3
RCC Addict

This could actually go down as one of the best forum posts ever!

Someone read, someone comprehended, someone learned. Wow, freakin awesome!
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 09:25 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Question One battery question I haven't been able to lay to rest...

I understand that batteries in series add their voltage together and maintain the stated mAh (assuming they're both the same rating) and batteries in parallel maintain the stated voltage but add their mAh together.

My question is this: Given that I have 2 6 cell 1500 mAh NiCd packs, if I solder together or buy a premade Y-connector such that the battery packs are wired in parallel, do I double the run time of my RC truck compared to running just one pack (ignoring added weight, resistance and heat)?
Old 01-02-2010, 09:30 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Talking Thanks for the good words (and amusement)

I gather that most newbies don't try to educate themselves before asking a question on a forum. Google is one of my best friends! I do try to search a forum for the info I want before getting flamed, er, I mean posting a question that has already been answered.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:40 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by neamerjell View Post
My question is this: Given that I have 2 6 cell 1500 mAh NiCd packs, if I solder together or buy a premade Y-connector such that the battery packs are wired in parallel, do I double the run time of my RC truck compared to running just one pack (ignoring added weight, resistance and heat)?
You are absolutely correct, runtime and mAh are directly proportional, i.e. doubling the onboard mAh should double your runtime.

Welcome to a very addicting hobby...
KSCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 12:57 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Talking SCHWEET!!!!!!!! Now I need some advice...

:mrgr een:: mrgreen:

I was hoping you'd say that...

hook up about 4 3000 mAh packs and stay out there all day! LOL

In all seriousness, a long time ago (1994?), I owned a Team Associated RC10T and was very disappointed in the short run times. I also was almost afraid to run it for fear of breaking a part I wouldn't be able to replace. Back then, internet commerce was in its infancy and my local hobby shop relocated then shut down. Its sad to see so many good hobby shops go down shortly after they install an indoor race track... Cincinnati must have low demand for hobby grade RC.

I've seriously been considering getting the Wheely King RTR 10830. I know it comes with a wall wart charger and a battery pack, but I would like to invest in a good charger and at least one spare pack (possibly for the dual parallel setup I mentioned). I've had my eye on a Duratrax Onyx 200. Also AMainHobbies.com has Racer's Edge NiCd Packs for about $9. I'm looking to spend no more than $250, shipping included.

Does anybody have any experience with the charger or battery pack I mentioned? I don't want to waste my hard-earned money on low quality junk that I will just have to shell out more $ to replace later.

I think that it is important to say that I intend to just bash for now. One reason I decided on the Wheely King is that it is a very true to life model of a real monster truck (I really paid attention when watching Monster Jam ). Once I started looking for one, I saw that it could easily be hopped up and converted into a crawler if I so choose, and my budget allows. Sweet X2!

The availability of replacement parts online and this forum are two main reasons I am seriously considering getting back into RC. (I just can't stop spreadin' the joy!)
Old 01-02-2010, 05:19 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Default Finally bought it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSCrawler View Post
Welcome to a very addicting hobby...
I know how addicting it is to have any hobby that truly captures your interest. BTW: I did it, I finally stopped pacing the floor and bought my Wheely King! I want to say that AMainHobbies.com was a pleasure to do business with and they had an active coupon code for $12.50 off my order - that covered the shipping! I effectively got free shipping! Free shipping RULES! I figured I'd get a better charger and additional batteries later, after I do more research and read more reviews (and amass more money).
Old 01-02-2010, 05:27 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

excellent write up on your site
motojeep is offline   Reply With Quote