Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Castle Creations Sidewinder ESC ??? Will it work?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2010, 09:13 PM   #1
riz
Quarry Creeper

Default Castle Creations Sidewinder ESC ??? Will it work?

I'm a bit confused on the Castle Creations Sidewinder ESC..... What will it work with and what won't it work with? Will is work with both brushed and brushless motors? What is sensored ?????

Thanks,

RIZ :?
riz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2010, 09:20 PM   #2

I run sidwinders in all my crawlers and scale rigs, and yes they will run brushed and brushless motors. They will not run sensored motors as they don't have the plug for it, it is best if you get the usb cable and CD as well so you can program esc very easy, and down load new software for it aswell. Very good esc, thanks Steve
stevehastings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 09:24 PM   #3
JSN
Quarry Creeper

The Sidewinder will run both brushed and SENSORLESS brushless.

Sensored brushless motors start and run smoother at low speed... in other words better for crawling if your going brushless look at the Mamba max PRO as it will do sensored/sensorless and brushed
JSN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 09:24 PM   #4
Gold Star Baby!

No need to be confused just need to look at this link
http://www.castlecreations.com/products/sidewinder.html
any other question go to tech support..there customer service is Outstanding
CRAWLER-DAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 09:25 PM   #5
riz
Quarry Creeper

I just bought one brand new in the box from another member here..... will it come with the USB and the CD or where do I get these?

RIZ
Old 01-02-2010, 09:28 PM   #6
Gold Star Baby!

go to the castle site download the program and you wont need the CD..and you need a USB cable and the Castle link for the Sidewinder..Mambas dont need the adaptor..
Old 01-02-2010, 09:30 PM   #7
JSN
Quarry Creeper

ask the seller if it comes with a castle link or not. the castlelink is not included when you buy a new sidewinder... cost around $25 but well worth the price in ease of setting up the ESC and any other castle produce that programable like the BEC

BTW I also run several sidewinders and IMHO you NEED a CC BEC if your running a good servo or 3's lipo.
JSN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 09:31 PM   #8
riz
Quarry Creeper

So any USB cable and the link is all I need if I download the program? Is the Castle link included? Sorry for being so stupid about this but I'm really new to the whole crawling thing but learning more every day. Thanks.

RIZ
Old 01-02-2010, 09:33 PM   #9
riz
Quarry Creeper

Can the Sidewinder be set up to run wiothout the Castle link? I will be running 11.1V 3 cell 2200mAh power 30c lipos. What is the BEC?

RIZ
Old 01-02-2010, 09:35 PM   #10
Gold Star Baby!

this should give you more of an idea of what you need..TCS is very quick with shipping...or check out your LHS...http://www.tcscrawlers.com/Castle-Cr...r-p-16186.html
Old 01-02-2010, 09:35 PM   #11
jwo
Rock Crawler

i agree with stevehastings, i just picked up one and the link. i love mine. best thing i did. well worth the money. its very smooth throttle response. i would say you could use it in just about anything with in reason. you just need to reprogram it for what you want. i'd by a second one in a heartbeat.i love the fact that castle makes updates for their stuff, so its pretty much like never having an outdated system. theres a ton of stuff you can mess with in the programming. more than the normal. you wont be dissapointed. i chose this one over the rest because, better power capabilties then the rooster, you can run brushless unlike the fxr. granite if your going to run brushless you'd be better of with a sensored motor or an outrunner if you want to go brushless.
jwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 09:40 PM   #12
jwo
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by riz View Post
Can the Sidewinder be set up to run wiothout the Castle link? I will be running 11.1V 3 cell 2200mAh power 30c lipos. What is the BEC?

RIZ
it can be setup with out the link, bit its defiantly worth getting. makes programming alot easier. . but you cant get updates for it that way. the bec is what powers you rx and servos. i would get a cc bec though. less strain on your speedo. that way they have their own power supply, and your esc has its own. the 3 cell wont be a problem. just make sure you set it up for the right cutoff
jwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 09:44 PM   #13
riz
Quarry Creeper

How much are CC BECs and how big are they? Do they just plug into the ESC?

RIZ
Old 01-03-2010, 10:00 AM   #14

they are 25.00$ and are about 1 inch by a half inch or so and you hard solder one end to you lead you plug the battery into and then the other side goes into the batt port of your receiver like a receiver pack on gasers castle creations gives you a good diagram

http://www.castlecreations.com/produ...ro_wiring.html
Brian.Vanbeekum is offline   Reply With Quote