Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Tekin FXR, 3S LiPo, Traxxas 27mhz receiver

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2010, 08:46 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Tekin FXR, 3S LiPo, Traxxas 27mhz receiver

I have a Tekin FXR, Tekin 35T motor in my Venom Creeper with a Traxxas servo and a Traxxas 27mhz receiver. I read in another thread (that I didnt want to hi-jack so I am posting here) that I should run a BEC in this setup. I haven't received the LiPo yet so I haven't damaged anything. The FXR manual said 3S is supported if I have a 35T or greater motor. It didn't say anything about a BEC. Do I need one? If so is the Castle BEC the best bang for the buck? I saw a video that showed the BEC inline between the battery and the receiver, but I plug my battery in to my ESC and my ESC in to my motor and receiver. Will I wire things differently if I use the BEC? Thanks! Mike
mpmackenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2010, 09:11 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpmackenna View Post
I have a Tekin FXR, Tekin 35T motor in my Venom Creeper with a Traxxas servo and a Traxxas 27mhz receiver. I read in another thread (that I didnt want to hi-jack so I am posting here) that I should run a BEC in this setup. I haven't received the LiPo yet so I haven't damaged anything. The FXR manual said 3S is supported if I have a 35T or greater motor. It didn't say anything about a BEC. Do I need one? If so is the Castle BEC the best bang for the buck? I saw a video that showed the BEC inline between the battery and the receiver, but I plug my battery in to my ESC and my ESC in to my motor and receiver. Will I wire things differently if I use the BEC? Thanks! Mike
With the servos that we run now, you need a BEC on any speed controller when running 3s except for the Holmes ESC.

Yes, the CC BEC is the best one IMO.

Just wire the BEC to the battery plug and plug it into the receiver. You will leave the ESC switch off or pull the red wire out of the esc plug.
Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:01 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Default wiring questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockcrawler View Post
Just wire the BEC to the battery plug and plug it into the receiver. You will leave the ESC switch off or pull the red wire out of the esc plug.
If I do that will I get degraded performance from my motor and ESC? I thought the BEC limited you to 5 amps? If the motor and ESC are down line from the BEC won't there be a cap on their voltage as well? Won't that limit the performace I get from those items?
Thanks so much for the help! Mike
Old 01-07-2010, 10:24 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Default BEC ordered

Quote:
If I do that will I get degraded performance from my motor and ESC? I thought the BEC limited you to 5 amps? If the motor and ESC are down line from the BEC won't there be a cap on their voltage as well? Won't that limit the performace I get from those items?
Still stumped by why the above isn't a degradation of performance to the motor but I am sure there must be a good reason why.... Got my CC BEC on order. Thanks again. Mike
Old 01-07-2010, 11:08 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Default Research...

After doing some research and such I get it now. Found some wiring diagrams that show two outputs coming from the BEC. One for receiver/servo that is regulated to 5 amps and one for the ESC/Motor that I assume is unregulated. Didn't realize the BEC had two outputs. Thanks, Mike
Old 01-07-2010, 11:32 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
After doing some research and such I get it now. Found some wiring diagrams that show two outputs coming from the BEC. One for receiver/servo that is regulated to 5 amps and one for the ESC/Motor that I assume is unregulated. Didn't realize the BEC had two outputs. Thanks, Mike
That doesn't sound correct how you stated it. the battery should have the 2 outputs. 1 going to the esc/motor and one going to the BEC. like in Castle's diagram

weck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 02:16 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Default I see

Quote:
Originally Posted by weck View Post
That doesn't sound correct how you stated it. the battery should have the 2 outputs. 1 going to the esc/motor and one going to the BEC. like in Castle's diagram
After looking back I determined when I googled I assumed that all my results were showing diagrams of BEC wiring. I see now that I unwittingly looked at a diagram that was for an ESC instead of for BEC. Thank you for clarifying that for me. Any special techniques for soldering two wires BEC/ESC to my male Deans connector or just cake on the solder and make it hot?
Thanks, Mike
Old 01-07-2010, 07:48 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
After looking back I determined when I googled I assumed that all my results were showing diagrams of BEC wiring. I see now that I unwittingly looked at a diagram that was for an ESC instead of for BEC. Thank you for clarifying that for me. Any special techniques for soldering two wires BEC/ESC to my male Deans connector or just cake on the solder and make it hot?
Thanks, Mike
I usually connect the 2 wires together, tin the deans plug and then solder it together as if it were 1 wire....easy peasy !!
Old 01-07-2010, 08:39 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Default wires

Quote:
Originally Posted by weck View Post
I usually connect the 2 wires together, tin the deans plug and then solder it together as if it were 1 wire....easy peasy !!
Great, thanks!
Old 01-08-2010, 06:28 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Great, thanks!
No problem, hope it all works out for you and gets you crawlin soon