Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: suspension ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2010, 08:40 PM   #1

Default suspension ?

i am knew to the crawler scene but i was wondering about the different types of suspension. i am sure it is a lot of personal preference, but what is the best thing out there. i seen torsion style, standard spring over shock, semi droop, full drop. it gets confusing, and is it better to have the shock in more of a upright position than the standard angled back like on most rigs. just searching for some ideas thanks.
turmoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2010, 09:01 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

all about what works for you and your driving style hombre expierement and fnd out what works best
KrawlerKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 09:04 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrawlerKing View Post
all about what works for you and your driving style hombre expierement and fnd out what works best
^^^^exactly^^^^
i ran droop in the front and fully extended in the rear to put more weight up front and i like that but it is all preference!
RuberDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 11:36 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I can't answer the question of what works best. I'm going to swap to a semi droop setup when I install new seals on my shocks.

Leaning the shocks in towards the center of the body or moving the lower mounts towards the center of the axle allows more articulation with a shorter shock length, but the shock has less control of the wheel. Standing the shocks straight up and moving the lower mounts out towards the tires gives the best control over the wheels, but the shock working length limits total travel. Looking at pictures of flexed rigs in the crawler threads vs the scaler threads will give you a good idea of the difference in travel. To a certain extent one can tune for the differences in wheel control by installing different springs or changing the weight of the shock oil. There are limits though, really terrible geometry can't be overcome. On a 1:1 rig you want to keep the shock ratio below 1.5:1 if possible, meaning that a 4" travel shock could be used for up to 6" of wheel travel. I haven't measured, but I'd guess most of these crawlers are far beyond that ratio.
BroncoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 06:25 PM   #5

Default thanks

thanks for the info i just picked up my axial from a friend of mine it has a droop suspension seems to work pretty good, but i am going to experiment to see what i come up with
turmoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 06:29 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

well, it honestly comes down to personal preference. You will always see top level drivers running a full sprung setup, I run a full sprung setup because its predictable. Droop works well in certain situations but not in all situations. Semi Droop works OK, and Torsion is something that I don't even want to go into! Torsion only works well on supers with a stick style chassis.

To sum it up. Running a full sprung suspension with the shocks angled back would be the best way to go IMO.
jcboof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 07:37 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I ended up going with the Axial red springs on the rears with some random soft springs up front. I installed limiters inside the shocks and moved the shocks out where the lower links mount from the factory. I used bent links on the rear and a new trans plate that moved the links inside the frame. I've got some more tweaking to do, but in an hour of running yesterday on a synthetic course I'm pleased with the results.

BroncoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote