Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: first comp on the 24th any advice?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2010, 06:44 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default first comp on the 24th any advice?

welp got my first comp on the 24th i will be competing in the sportsman class with my losi nightcrawler/comp crawler ill be running my leopards novas foams goat 18.5 on 2s anyone got some pointers??
KrawlerKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2010, 06:46 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Have fun!! and good luck
weck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 07:14 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by weck View Post
Have fun!! and good luck
What he said If you got a camera, take some pics of your first comp. Let us all see the fun you had
Grump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 08:10 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

good luck man ive never been in a comp so i dont know any tips
saturnsl89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 09:07 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

focus and have fun dont get disapointed and just because the people are ooohhhing and aaaahhhhing doesnt mean your doing something wrong but most of all dont get frustrated thats when you start to make stupid mistakes

OVER ALL HAVE FUN WITH IT
NorCalScaleCrawlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 09:18 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

if you have access to the comp spot prior to the comp then i would go there and get some time on the terrain youll be driving on,,,try some sidehilling and over hangs and undercuts,,look for something that looks really hard to do and try it,,wheel time and getting use to your rig and identifying your own weaknesses and the rig's weaknesses will help you out,,when it comes time to comp i personally have stopped watching other people drive the courses,,i look them over prior to the comp and will watch the drivers on course,,but for me,,my rig doesnt handle like other rigs so i cant watch and really learn from other driver's mistakes,,my rig will climb and do things other's wont,,as equally it wont do some things that still other's will,,so i work the course to the best of my driving skill and the ability of my rig
rmdesignworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 10:51 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Good luck and have fun! Post some pics if you get a chance.
PDXFNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 07:41 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

The main thing is to have fun, which has already been pointed out several times. Next, be sure you listen to the advice of other drivers. One thing that amazed me my first time out was how helpful everyone is.

And in contrast to an above post, I do try to watch other drivers run the course. There have been a few times that what appears to be "the line" through a gate isn't so easy and someone else will come out of left field with an unseen alternate route and stroll right through it.

Lastly, make sure you have spare parts. I have a Losi Comp Crawler that came with the V2 CVDs, which are known to be a bit weak and prone to breakage with high powered motors. I also brought along a set of V3 CVDs, just in case. I broke the first one on gate number two of the first course.

If something breaks, don't get frustrated. Just call for a repair, stop the clock (if there's enough time left to do so), fix it and get back on the course. It's actually kind of fun stripping your rig down in a hurry and slamming it back together to get back in competition.

Oh, and make sure to bring along a magnetic parts catcher, just in case. It would suck if you had to DNF because a screw rolled off the tailgate while you were working on your crawler.

And have fun! Did anyone mention that?
silentcircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:23 AM   #9
varcor.org

Have fun is the most important part. The second part, is have fun again.

I'll see if I have the 16th off and maybe we can find someplace to practice either locally or in Richmond.
swell searcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:27 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Take your time if you can and think, I make most of my biggest mistakes by getting myself into a rush when I don't have to. Slow is smooth and smooth is fast. If you need to make changes do them suttlely and record them so you can go back if need be. I keep a notebook to track changes so I don't do something twice just to find out why it didn't work the first time.

Oh, and have fun and talk to people, try to listen to everyone not just the top guys.
jrkilburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 09:46 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Take your time if you can and think, I make most of my biggest mistakes by getting myself into a rush when I don't have to.
exactly, me too. Just relax and try to think.
slowngreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 09:50 AM   #12
RCC Addict

I had my first comp Saturday and one of my biggest problems was not asking the Judge how many points i had. I cleared gate 9 on the roof with 1 min. left with 36 points. Not even thinking about in i reached down and rolled it over, 5 points. That put my at 41, so i pointed out when i could have spent that minute trying to get it to roll over on its own and possibly finishing the course with a 16 instead of a 22.

Other than that i would try and watch guys with Losi's. Bergs will take different lines. You have better diff clearance, they have a better breakover clearance.
stubs179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 10:01 AM   #13
Suck it up!

Have fun, don't worry about how you do, and don't overthink what you're doing.

Of course, that all applies to every comp I go to!
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 10:21 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Just have fun and learn.
kasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 10:28 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

I got mine and the kids this Saturday. Still building a creeper for a kid ......

Up in the air to let the 5yr old drive, or not.....prob would be fun for him.
y2kgtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 01:26 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Practice, practice, practice then practice some more. Set up some gates (bottle caps, crushed beer cans, cut tennis/wiffle balls, rocks, whatever) and time your self running them. Ask questions and listen to the answers. Then ask more questions. Ask someone ya trust to spot for ya. AND HAVE FUN. Don't expect too much of yourself or your rig it is all about learning. AND HAVING FUN!
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 01:31 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

I still need to get a red creeper together for my kid. This was late last night

y2kgtp is offline   Reply With Quote