Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: SCX10 a good first choice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2010, 01:51 PM   #1

Default SCX10 a good first choice

G'day guys. Ive been following crawling for quite some time now, but just havent bitten the bullet & bought one yet. Well in a few weeks time i should be able to purchase one. I am looking closely at the New Trail Honcho SCX10 kit. I really like the look of the truggy & have watched a few youtube clips to see just how capable the SCX10 really is, & i was quite surprised. Ive also researched for the very first mods to do which is remove the bump stops, battery up the front & wheel weights.

For electronics i can use my old XL-5 esc from me slash, & pair it up with an integy lathe, maybe a 45t or 55t, but running this on a 2s lipo. 645mg for the servo. Does this setup sound adepuate enough? I mean i wont be competing in any comps anytime soon, just something i can get the feel of then maybe go from there. Give me your thoughts & opinions. thanks in advance....
Canz Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2010, 02:26 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

That set up sounds like a good starting point. The tuning you mentioned should really make the rig more capable. IMO this would be a great start.
difflocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 04:35 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

yes. sounds like a good start. just make sure to get a lipo alarm because the traxxas speed control doesn't have a lipo cut off. you don't want to damage the battery.
Turn'Nburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 01:43 PM   #4

Righto guys thanks for ya input. Maybe you can help me out as to what turn motor i should get, 55 or 45? The rig will be used (im hoping) more for crawling, maybe a few trail runs here & there, but really more for crawling. Not really experienced with high turn motors. I do know the 45t will offer more wheelspeed. Im not looking for anything fast, i have a slash that continually breaks parts for that....
Old 01-15-2010, 01:50 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

a 45t motor is an excellent choice for crawling/trail running. it has just the right amount of torque and speed. RC4WD also has a nice brushed crawler speed control for less than $50. you don't necessarily need it but the drag brakes help alot on hills.
Old 01-15-2010, 01:54 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

here's the esc...
http://www.rc4wdstore.com/2/product_...roducts_id=952
Old 01-15-2010, 02:50 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Smile

Good info. I just bought my SCX10 yesterday and built it up last night, I'm really digging the look. The motor/esc set up mentioned sounds good. Thanks!
RusT808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 04:47 PM   #8

Well after more searching around, ive found most SCX10s are running 35T motors. As ill only be running this on 2s lipo, will a 35T give me good wheel speed for trail but still offer great torque for crawling?

Turn 'NBurn - Ive already got a sidewinder, but have to get it repaired (all leds flashing upon battery insertion). may take a while since im overseas so for now ima just use the xl5 esc. Plus im only starting so maybe i should see how i go then make my way to a drag brake esc...
Old 01-19-2010, 08:24 PM   #9

Sounds good to me. Im running mine stock and love it.
scx10crozier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:03 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

sounds like a great start. if you upgrade to a drag brake esc, check out the tekin fxr. you can run up to a 35t and 3s. drag brake is great. i love mine.
TODBLDZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 03:53 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

personally, I would run a 35T in the Honcho. I had one in my Hilux and even though it weighed a ton the motor had no problem providing a good balance of torque and wheelspeed.
cutlaSS is offline   Reply With Quote