Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Help in choosing rig.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2010, 09:26 PM   #1

Default Help in choosing rig.

I've been wanting to get into the RC hobby for some time now but I don't know much about it and I never could decide on which truck to get. I found this site a couple weeks back and have been searching through and have really picked up quite a bit. Thanks for that. Great site!

I'm wanting to get more of a scale trail rig then a full blown crawler. Since I'm new and will be learning as I go I want to get a RTR rig. I'm looking into the Axial AX90002 AX10 Scorpion RTR or the Axial AX90012 SCX10 TR RTR. I realize that I will probably want/have to upgrade parts on either rig as I get more into it but I want to start out simple and have a rig that can be easily upgraded.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of these two kits? Which would you recomend or would you recomend some other kit? Any help/advice will be appreciated.
dpmhemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2010, 09:34 PM   #2

I don't own either one,but from what i've seen,you can't go wrong with axial Rat
NWRokkRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 06:08 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Well if you are looking for a scale looking rig instead of a hardcore crawler the SCX 10 TR is the way to go. But it also depends on what you want to do with your truck. The TR is geared more towards slow rock crawling and the Scorpion Kit leans more towards a basher, or off road racer. You can of course upgrade and change either kit to do anything you want, but that's how they will come set up out of the box.
theone13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 06:34 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

there are some other ways to go scale depending on what your looking for in the end. my scale crawler is a little unconventual.
My first crawler build
jsj1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 06:57 AM   #5
RCC Addict

You can't really go wrong with any of these trucks. Shown from left to right

Truck #1 - Axial SCX10 RTR Dingo
Pros: Steel C-channel frame, Ready to run, pre cut & painted scale body, LED lights, Spare Tire
Cons: Phillips hardware, Plastic 4-links & weak steering servo

Truck #2 - Axial SCX10 CF-100 ( Requires radio gear & complete assembly)
Pros: Cost - RPP has these for $209, Easy to build (even for newbie's), Steel C-channel frame, Aluminum 4-links and other goodies, some hex hardware
Cons: Ugly green bead lock rings, no electronics, plain jane body (just my opinion of course)

Trucks #3 - Axial Scorpion RTR (Great all around basher/crawler)
Pros: 2.2 size wheels & tires, Aluminum chassis plates and other goodies, decent servo, pre cut & painted body, can easily be converted to a crawler.
Cons: Phillips hardware, Plastic 4-links, Ugly green ( Someone at Axial loves this green!)

Truck #4 - HPI Wheely King RTR or Crawler King RTR (More of a basher than the others but a fun little truck.)

That's just a few of these trucks features. Really, any of them are great for beginners. Hope this helps!
Attached Images

Killa-Cotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 07:13 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I like the Axial Honcho myself for a out of the box kit it's the sweetest IMO
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 11:14 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

I am a beginner and I got the Axial AX10 Scorpion rockracer. AX90002. It seems pretty good for a starter unit. A little light in the front for rock crawling but relocate the battery on the front axle and that problem seems to be solved.
Mine was missing some items even though it was a sealed box. The parts bag was missing. So I did not get the 14 tooth pinion, the front differential locker or the spare parts tree. I bought mine from a new local hobby shop who does not stock anything. He is more of a web site in a building. If you want to buy something you use a store computer to log on and place an order. Then he will e-mail you when it is ready to pick up. So 7 weeks later I am still waiting for him to try to help me. In the meantime Axial sent me a pinion and locker.
For a beginner the Axial seems like a good unit.
colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 01:56 PM   #8

Thanks for the replies. I originally started looking into the Wheely King or Crawler King. That's how I found this site. It seemed there was more support and available parts for the Axial models. That's what made me lean more towards them. I was tempted several times to just order a Wheely King due to its cheeper price and included the battery and charger but was unsure of how much modding could be done to it versus the Axials. Jsj1982, I see yours turned out really nice and once again got me considering it. While researching I did come across an online dealer that had the AX10 RTR under $200 but it was out of stock. Can't seem to find that site again to check if it's back in stock. Anyone have any idea where that might be?
Also I would like to be able to change bodies around. I like the more scale looking bodies. Would one model be more suited for this than the others? I see that the
AX10 RTR has side mounted body post where as the others have top mounted. Any adantages or disadvantages to this?
dpmhemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 03:02 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Again if you're looking for an RTR scale rig the SCX 10 TR is the only way to go. Like you said you might want to upgrade some of the electronics or other parts someday, but it will work great out of the box. The Trail Ready has a scale chassis instead of a twin vertical plate design like the scorpion kit. If you want to keep it scale but switch bodies out from time to time, the Trail Ready should be perfect, just gotta figure out how to mount the different bodies.
theone13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 03:23 PM   #10
dnf

honcho is the way to go. simple yet affective.
I dont own one but have been able to drive one. its a blast.
you simply cant go wrong with that truck.
rock hard is offline   Reply With Quote